Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the bike demo day at Aston Hill was awesome, had load of fun!
Bike of the day for me was the Iron Horse 6point4!

Very unassuming bike but what a ride!!!

Very closely followed by the Santa Cruz Nomad

SNIP

Forks are a pair of 06 Teams now though.. The forks in the above picture are now on rG-Tom's bike :) Loads of stuff to swap out before France though i doubt i'l get round to it.

didn't know you where on here ady...

Might have to get my old demo up ;)

Looking at a Spesh XC bike atm.

Warren

Talking of discs, here's the pads from my front HFX-9 after a good blast round the Peak District today:
They were new at the start of my previous ride in the Clywds. Welsh mud and Peak's grit at it's best! The other spring had already been eaten by the rotor :rolleyes: :D
Get yourself some Sintered brake pads.
Organic ones last 5 minutes in the UK

I'm testing one of these beasts at the weekend - 2008 Specialized Enduro SL S-Works.
I'm considering purchasing a Enduro SL Pro next year :)

Specialized_Enduro_sl_s-works.jpg

I do love Santa Cruz bikes - one day, one day...

How tall are you and what size frame did you go for? Build it yourself or was it an 'off the peg' model?

I'm 5'7" and the medium is abosolutely perfect with a 70mm stem.

It was a custom build, just over 7 months old now, but assembled by my LBS. I wanted the best suspension I could afford on the frame, a decent drivetrain and skimped a bit on brakes and the finishing kit, but it's built light (just over 28 pounds) and is just and incredible fun bike to ride.

The standard SC builds have a great set of components, but they don't come cheap. I sacrificed a bit but kept to my budget.

The spec is:

SC Heckler Liquid Blue Frame (Medium)
Fox Float RP23 Shock Upgrade
Race Face Evolve XC Finishing Kit:
Evolve XC crank
Deus Headset
Evolve XC SL seatpost
Evolve XC 31.8 stem
Evolve XC LowRiser bar 31.8
Good 'n' Evil grips
Fox TALAS 32 forks
Avid Juicy 5, 185mm front
Avid Juicy 5, 185mm rear
Shimano XT shifters
Shimano XT front mech
Shimano XT rear mech
Shimano XT cassette
Shimano XT chain
DT Swiss 4.2D + Hope Pro II Hub (Rear)
DT Swiss EX 5.1D + Hope Pro II Hub (Front, after I crashed and trashed the 4.2D rim :) )
Specialized Rival Saddle
Continental Mountain King 2.4 Protection Tyres

She's going in for a 6 month service, I'm upgrading the cabling and casings to an XTR set (teflon coated, sweet cables), and new shock bushings which have a bit of play.

Future planned upgrades are Hope Mono M4 Brakes (rode my friends Heckler with these and they are leagues ahead of my poor Juicy 5's in terms of modulation and overall solid "feel") and I'm thinking of a dropper seatpost of some sort, and maybe a XT crankset if the Evolve XC fails.

Last edited:
didn't know you where on here ady...

Might have to get my old demo up ;)

Looking at a Spesh XC bike atm.

Warren

Aye matey, moochin' around :)

Looking into getting myself another road bike actually. XC is a bit far fetched here but i could do some scenic(ish) road routes on a good loop.

I still haven't pressed the buy button, still too undecided.

Does building your own bike from scratch cost much more than a bike "off the rack" ?

If you're buying a boutique bike it's generally going to cost more than an off the shelf bike. But you get to pick the parts you want and if you're capable you put it together yourself. Decent bargains can bring the price down, at the moment the Highline looks like it would cost me about £1800, but I'd probably have to sell my HT SS 29er to make room. On the plus side that would give me some cash towards the new bike :D

:( :( :( my car being hit and other damage to it, and various other unforeseen outgoings have meant that even though ive not ridden it for more than about 4 miles since building it, im gonna have to get rid.

Just put this advert onto a bike for sale forum, how does it look to you bike gurus?

Hey guys,

Only built this in March but unfortunately other bills have hit me hard and it needs to go :(

patriot1.jpg

it's a Patriot 7+ with the following spec, the bits that are brand new have seen less than 30 minutes of riding on flat ground after it was built to make sure everything is working ok

2004 Rock Shocks Boxxer world cups, recently TF tuned
5th element rear shock, also TF tuned
Brand new x7 front mech
XT rear mech
brand new XT shifters
brand new shimano saint 170mm 22.32.44t cranks and chain rings
DMR V12 magnesium pedals
Brand new maxxis high rollers
nearly new mavic 321s
nearly new Hope Pro 2 front
brand new freewheel hub and axel on the rear Hope XC
Brand new ODI ruffians