Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised here's a better picture (2 weeks late) of my new bike.

rockhoppercj1.jpg

I've had fun setting the sag and rebound to my liking and just playing with the settings over the last couple of weeks. It's a novelty - my old hardrock can no sag or rebound!!!

My girlfriend is going to kill me but i'm buying a full bouncer too, which will replace my hardrock. Budget is £500. I'm thinking of a kona coiler to tinker with / mess around on as a second bike. :D

Hy guys, please... i need some feedback on the following shortlist I have for "all mountain" bikes.

I really wanna buy soon , so please your input would be appreciated

My shortlist

Giant Reign x1
Giant Reign x Zero
Giant Glory Zero
Giant Glory 1
Kona Coilair
Kona Coiler
specialized SX Trail 1
speciaized Demo7 FSR

I hear nothing but good things about the Reign X0 - considering the 2007 or 2008 model?

But you really need to have ridden all the variations of suspension from your short-list as not all of them will perform the same under different riding conditions.

Reign X gets my vote too. I own a Glory and my friend owns a Glory 0 and i cant imagine them being pedalled anywhere. The reign x however fits your needs perfectly. Can also be built into a leighweight build!

Well, there's no way you'd get me paying almost £1k extra for the X0.

Personally I'd rather have the coil front and rear of the X1 than the air on the X0, although you'd need to check that the springs included with the shocks are rated for your weight. Usually Fox supply multiple springs for their forks, but that's only ever guaranteed with boxed forks and not OEM. I'd go for the X1 and upgrade parts as and when you need to.

But I still wouldn't go for a 2008 model. Aren't there any 2007 ones about?

Well, there's no way you'd get me paying almost £1k extra for the X0.

Personally I'd rather have the coil front and rear of the X1 than the air on the X0, although you'd need to check that the springs included with the shocks are rated for your weight. Usually Fox supply multiple springs for their forks, but that's only ever guaranteed with boxed forks and not OEM. I'd go for the X1 and upgrade parts as and when you need to.

But I still wouldn't go for a 2008 model. Aren't there any 2007 ones about?

Trying to find one ^^
edit: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/?action=detail&maincatID=0&catID=&prodID=11075&brandID=

Last edited:
Well it's your money, but for me the positives of the '08 model are:

08 Vanilla R forks: getting rave reviews at the moment, very plush and very stiff.

DHX 3.0 shock: always gets excellent reviews, very plush and super reliable.

Hayes Stroker Ride brakes: general consensus is they're Hayes best ever brakes.

Gears: Nice setup with the X9 rear and LX front, but I'd rather have X9 shifters too.

All the finishing kit generally seems to be of good quality, so I'd probably find somewhere to test-ride it and stick your money down if you like what you see.

I'm getting exited now.
Been through a few bikes and reviews etc for a while now, but funnily enough, every time I get back to the reign x1, just have a good feeling about the bike

Well at least you've made a decision, sup3rc0w. I'm still persuading myself that if I build an old bike up for use on the roads I can then afford to buy my dream bike. Okay, so it's about twice my original bike budget - but then again I'm saving the money I was going to spend on a hardtail...

Get yourself over to UK MTB as they're a bunch of extremely friendly and knowledgeable people. ALLI from here introduced me and I've found it an invaluable resource for information and advice - I know there are a few Giant owners on there so they might be able to offer you some useful tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom