Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a day. Yesterday was a bit of a bad one. :(

Had problems with my rear brake on Sunday whilst on the trails, but it held out till I got home. Lever travel was way more than normal, but couldn't see anything obvious and ran out of time (and light) to really strip it down properly.

Had another look yesterday, took the pads out to check they were moving and clamping on the disc correctly all seemed fine. Bled the brakes and no matter how much fluid Doll and I put through, we were seeing a lot of air. :( Took the lever off the handlebars and the seal along the back where it clamps against the bars had gone. It was seeping pretty badly by that point, so much so the brake fluid's burned my new carbon bars. Hopefully it's just cosmetic damage that'll be covered when the levers go back on, but I was still gutted. :(

Also, to add insult to injury on the way home from Doll's my wheels fell onto my frame (wheels off, bike in back of car) taking a nice chunk out the paintwork, grr. I'm camping out this w/e in Wales too supposedly, so need to get the bike sorted quick smart!

On an unrelated note - nice bike Will :)

Just awaiting my stans wheels and new crankset and its sorted.....for a while.

DSCF0019.jpg

how do you find the racing ralphs? I'm after a tyre that rolls reasonably fast not too heavy and has good grip, I'm at wits end with my maxxis high rollers. =(
I'm off on my first big biking trip to wales in a week, already done coed y brenin and penmachno but going on a 5 day camping one and doing more trials.

Things I need are new tyres for that sort of terrain. last time I did it on panaracers fire Xc pros and didn't have much of a problem, I broke my forks on penmachno, but they're replaced and I think I need some new flatties because I'm still on my stock ones, + I'll need some reasonably good shoes to go with them.

Help please ! :p

Hi there guys...

Need a new seatpost ASAP, my current one is shot. Tioga one that came with my Dawes Oxide '05. Not using the seat atm which is killing me :p

Thinking of around £30 to spend on a new one. Dont really want to be going over that.

Upto now Ive found this one... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Token_Carbon_Seat_Post/5360011516/

Any good? Can you guys suggest anything else?

Hi there guys...

Need a new seatpost ASAP, my current one is shot. Tioga one that came with my Dawes Oxide '05. Not using the seat atm which is killing me :p

Thinking of around £30 to spend on a new one. Dont really want to be going over that.

Upto now Ive found this one... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Token_Carbon_Seat_Post/5360011516/

Any good? Can you guys suggest anything else?

Try looking at the Post Moderne SMICA post's on Wiggle. Standard or setback, great weight, really clever clamp and strong - £30.

Personally, I would not use carbon seatposts - something about shattered carbon splinters doesn't appeal to me!

Went into my local bike shop and put a deposit down for one of these, a Dawes Horizon touring bike, Reynolds 520 chromoly frame!

Should hopefully be ready late next week!

horizon.jpg

Ideal for wet weather commute into work and perhaps even some touring!

:)

Aren't those pedals for off road bikes? Why not SPD-SL? or Shimano PD-A520
Well egg-beaters were originally made for off-road, as they don't get clogged up with mud but those specific ones are for road bikes (and are indeed in the road pedal section). I used to ride with egg-beaters when I was younger and I like them, so it was an obvious choice.

You won't get clogged pedals for onroad, and you get a greater surface area contact with proper road pedals. I could tell the difference between SPD and Shimano PD-A520, even though the same the 520 has a platform for the shoe.

Go for proper roadie pedals.

You won't get clogged pedals for onroad, and you get a greater surface area contact with proper road pedals. I could tell the difference between SPD and Shimano PD-A520, even though the same the 520 has a platform for the shoe.

Ive got M520's but thinking of swapping them for some Time Xen's.
Can feel the small contact area of the 520's even through road shoes, plus time have plenty of float so i can help protect my knee's

Noticed the 520's more so having been doing some turbo session's this week.
Hard work doing interval training on the turbo, but it's all helping towards my goal of a sub 40 min commute to work.

I know I won't get clogged pedals obviously but I have ridden with these before and I really like them. In comparison to other cleats I've tried on other bikes, they do lock your feet in well, too.

I have Shimano A520s on my road bike. Had them a couple of years. They are now nicely worn such that the SPD side tends to end up facing downards. Cycling away from a junction on my way home from work I tried to engage my left foot, only for it to skid off the bottom surface of the pedal (which was on top!) and squash my nad off the saddle. :eek:

Good pedals until they wear. Going for A530s when I get the Horizon tourer. Single sided SPD, but with a platform cage on the bottom, cleat on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom