Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its great when you treat yourself isn't it :D

How many pennies did that cost you?

Thinking of canceling the order. I put an initial order in (only 40 being made to begin with) and the frame + shock is gonna be around £2100 which is a bit steep. Reason for the price it's classified as a "race frame" and they will not be replacing their current "Izimu" with this.

Frame, shock and fork will be around £3300 - :(

What makes it so dear is the Bos shock, costing around £600 by it's own!

Thinking of just getting the new 09 Commencal Supreme DH frame, which i can get for £1700 including DHX5, e.thirteen chain device and seatpost. Very similar bike designs

I should have said my limit is about 2.6k

so for heckler it most likely be a X kit
SRAM X9 Triggers
PG980 cassette
PC971 chain
XT front mech
X9 rear mech
Truvativ Stylo Team w/ Giga X BB
Hope MM2 w/183/163 Rotors
Hope Pro 2 Hubs / DT 4.2d Rims / WTB Laser Skewers
Syncros Micro Adjust
WTB Rocket V CroMo
Thomson X4
Syncros Gain Carbon Riser
yncros Soft Lock-On
Syncros AM

with fox RP23 + 32 TALAS RLC

Go for the DHX coil, makes such a difference with the Heckler. The extra 1lb or so makes little difference.

I have a Fox 36 Talas RC2's /XT gears/DHX coil on mine...32lbs ish for err...just a little bit more than your budget.

Long day today, after a summer break my race series resumes next Sunday. I wanted to preride the course today, but also wanted to go DHing too. The only solution was to ride the XC race course on my Highline then head out to the ski resort afterwards for an afternoon of DH :D

*decents were fun on the big bike, but I'm looking forward to the climbs on my XC bike in comparison.

I think, I’m going have to count out the Heckler its going to be just out of my price range.

Went to my lbs today and took a gander at the moto 3 but not sure about that rear shock linkage system but I am still considering it.

Also had a look at 08 cannondale rize carbon3 and 08 specialized enduro sl fsr pro carbon both really nice, but unsure about long term maintenance of specialized shocks.

Please feel free to recommend a bike. Im really struggling too much choice :confused:

SDK has a Enduro SL Pro Carbon and Im very jealous of him for it :p

He might be best to comment on the Enduro and the shocks.

The only thing that I dont get about that Enduro is the fact it's got the dual crowns and a specialized branded fork. Surely an Enduro bike like that would benefit so much more from an agility point of view, just to have the single crown?

I'm going to Cycle revolution (Stanway, Colchester) to collect my newly ordered Specialized hardrock 09 Sport Disc :D

It's set me back £333 (after 10% discount because of first order). And I just hope it's worth it.

Im very sure it will be worth every penny, i've rode it briefly, and its a NICE bike, just can't wait to get my hands on it now :D

I will post pics when I have it :)

The only thing that I dont get about that Enduro is the fact it's got the dual crowns and a specialized branded fork. Surely an Enduro bike like that would benefit so much more from an agility point of view, just to have the single crown?
Apart from the S-Works model all 2009 Enduro’s have Fox Talas forks.

A shame really, the E150 dual crown fork rocks; it's stiff and lighter than anything Fox or RockShox produce with 150mm+ travel.

Unsure about long term maintenance of specialized shocks.
The only maintenance is a service every 250 hours of riding and regular cleaning after muddy rides etc

Last edited:
Just bought a new toy, found my old frame a bit too big for me so went for a brand new 16 inch frame.

The finishing looks really good, all it has is a clear coat on top of raw metal. You can see all the welding/brazing marks clearly. It's kind of like a marble like finish up close:

Just got it back from the bike shop after having the headset cups pressed in and the bottom bracket faced. Nearly finished tranplanting the bits from my old bike now. All I need to do now is to set the derailers and to install the tubeless kit.

Can't wait to go off road on it. I've been stuck on the road bike for 7 weeks since I broke my hand.

Saw a employee of Ikea (going on his break or something) today on a Kona Stinky '07.

As he rode off trying to pick up some pace the bike was jumping around like I dont know what. He must have set the forks / suspension to very soft as he was travel more up and down than forwards!

I knew that a hardtail for commuting and some XC is better, but after seeing him, I think Im going to rule out the full sus route when I get a new bike after christmas.

the stinky has loads of travel and a pretty poor shock though.. i had one and it was a real nightmare to ride anywhere. feels like your going backwards at times

an XC full sus wouldnt be anywhere near as bad

Saw a employee of Ikea (going on his break or something) today on a Kona Stinky '07.

As he rode off trying to pick up some pace the bike was jumping around like I dont know what. He must have set the forks / suspension to very soft as he was travel more up and down than forwards!

I knew that a hardtail for commuting and some XC is better, but after seeing him, I think Im going to rule out the full sus route when I get a new bike after christmas.

Good job. Only fools ride suspension bikes on the road. If you're riding on the road, buy a rigid bike designed for the road. Not the bicycle version of a Range Rover Discovery.

He has the forks set up wrong! Too much rebound. Either that or he is a Gorilla!

Even with lock out still slower than any similar road type bike. Even a tourer with panniers is faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom