Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also overtook a roadie on my tourer, and a girl on a MTB, and a bloke on a full suspension bike. Do you actually own a road like going bicycle?

Yes a MTB "does the same job" as a road bike, but it's like taking a land rover with mud tyres on the road. I've owned a MTB rigid, then upgraded the fork to suspension. Dog slow, and tiring even with lock out.

Admittedly, I recently got a roadie - DUDE, how fast does that thing go, after only 3 hard pedals!!!!!

Had a hardtail I was commuting on... and this just leaves it in the dirt on the road

He has the forks set up wrong! Too much rebound. Either that or he is a Gorilla!

I have used FS for commuting since 2001, suspension has come a long way since then!

Seems that way. He was only young, say about 17 / 18. The bike looked new. He was showing off a little trying to jump over islands in the middle of the road but he failed :p

Seeing him, its just put me off buying a FS, but really I dont have any need in one tbh.

Need a decent hardtail as the commute to work involves half road and half canal riding!

Like I said, 1 bike to do all. I have ridden a road bike and can apreciate its speed, but you can't bunnyhop, jump kerbs, ride down stairs, like you can on a mountain bike.

I have 2 routes I could take to work. 1 on road all the way, the other with 2-3 miles off road. Which is route do you think is more fun?

Need a decent hardtail as the commute to work involves half road and half canal riding!

How "off road" are the canal paths? Totally flat treated asphalt, or muddy paths with deep gouges? If it's the former you don't need suspension at all. I'd use a rigid bike, between a MTB with road tyres, to 700x35mm

Seems that way. He was only young, say about 17 / 18. The bike looked new. He was showing off a little trying to jump over islands in the middle of the road but he failed :p

Seeing him, its just put me off buying a FS, but really I dont have any need in one tbh.

Ok so he was playing :D He may have the bike set up with loads of sag for the riding he does at the weekends!

A HT with semi slicks is the ideal commuting bike IMO!

Admittedly, I recently got a roadie - DUDE, how fast does that thing go, after only 3 hard pedals!!!!!

Had a hardtail I was commuting on... and this just leaves it in the dirt on the road

Yup it really is amazing the difference. Some kids on MTB's asked me for a race, I was on my road bike. They had the advantage from the start as one leg was unclipped, even so within 2 seconds launched past them and goodbye! :D I heard them moaning way back they lost the race :D

My tourer isn't too bad either, it's slightly heavier but still get a decent pace.

A HT with semi slicks is the ideal commuting bike IMO!

No it isn't. You should not bunny hop when commuting, not unless you want to get done by coppers, grannies whacking you handbang and car drivers beeping at you. Follow the damn rules of the road.

Why on earth do you need to bunny hop over puddles? Oh I meant hopping from road to kerb and back again, a observant copper will do you for that.

I bunny hop all the time to avoid potholes on my road bikes :p

How sexeh is the new turner Dh looking!
http://www.turnerbikes.com/09dhr.html
Seems there is quite similar designs in the TRansition blindside, Morewood Makulu, Commencal etc for 09, but this has gone different route, interesting

24hours after I posted about them :p

I'm happy with my two Turner bikes, but was going to head out to Moab to see Dave Turner et al in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably try one of the new DW Sultans to compare it to mine.

Little kids on crappy old bmx's and things like it are faster than you'd think, I've said it but I had to push nearly 30mph to overtake a group of them once. I was trying really hard to get my breath back as I was still pushing 25 or so mph after I overtook them.

to keep as dry as possible???

A copper will do you if you are too old yes! If they care...which 99% of the time they wont! As we all know the age limit for cycling on the pavement dont we? ;)

What do you do if the whole road is wet and its weeing it down? There aint no age limit for cycling on a pavement no? Its against the law as far as I knew.

I bunny hop all the time to avoid potholes on my road bikes :p

24hours after I posted about them :p

I'm happy with my two Turner bikes, but was going to head out to Moab to see Dave Turner et al in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably try one of the new DW Sultans to compare it to mine.

\Gah, my bad = let us know how it rides please

Like I said, 1 bike to do all. I have ridden a road bike and can apreciate its speed, but you can't bunnyhop, jump kerbs, ride down stairs, like you can on a mountain bike.

I have 2 routes I could take to work. 1 on road all the way, the other with 2-3 miles off road. Which is route do you think is more fun?

Off road all the time! I can take a all road route but its not as fun. Plus I get very annoyed at stupid drivers :p

Jump on the canal soon as I can. Its mainly grit / gravel with some large stones that have nearly caught me out when its been wet, but thats all part of the fun :D

I jump over puddles all the time too. Up and the down kerbs, the lot. Why not ;)

I jump over puddles all the time too. Up and the down kerbs, the lot. Why not

Because it's a hazard to other road users, they don't know if you're just joining the traffic or are going to bomb across the road.

People like you give cyclists a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom