Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
my current bike is a GT avalanche 1 Disc and it will be for trials and some road use

Quite a capable bike already, particularly for what seems to be light use. Do you really need a full sus bike?

Otherwise i'd go for the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 2008, full suspension for when you need it but should perform like a hardtail elsewhere due to the brain, but definitely go and try a few.

the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 2008 is on the top of my list so far but i just wanted to see if anyone else has something to say with the others i have listed.

the GT as done me well but i want something a bit more capable

You can get the 18" Giant Trance X1 for £1350 from the edinburgh cycles sale

its hard to believe how prices can very for site to site i have seen the trance for £1750 and Edinburgh cycles have the Specialized Enduro SL FSR Expert 2008 for £1599 but i have also seen it for £1999 else where

the Enduro FSR Expert is cheaper at edinburgh cycles than i was looking at spending on the stumpjumper expert by £100

Last edited:
Had an awesome race again today, but came 2nd to the same guy who keeps beating me. Loved my heart rate stats, my maximum is supposedly ~185bpm, for the race I was:

Average: 170 bpm
Max: 179 bpm

I think Scotty from Star Trek summed it up best with, "She canna take anymore Captain"

6thElement can you give me a rundown of what kinda races you do?

i assume yo do downhill stuff ?

I read the sport forums more frequently than i used to, but im still not clued up :)

Ive recently took a big interest in the whole mountain biking malarky and i love the idea of downhill and xc in my own personal future.

Downhill looks awesome but it would be pushing my limit! :D

Just finished this last night
record1.jpg

but as i've never ridden drops, clipless, or single speed (will move to fixed once i get the hang of things), and am little more than a n00b when it comes to cycling in general, it may take some getting used to.

Surely you will have more than one road bike? For long rides one with gears would be much much better especially when it comes to hills unless you don't plan on doing anything hilly or long.

The gear should be good for all but the worst hills (61"ish). It's mainly a commute bike, and I live near the top of Hampstead Hill in London (anyone who knows it will tell you it's one of the worst climbs in London), so I had to keep the gears reasonably low, or i'll never get home in the evenings :p. Like i said, it's my first road bike so it's more to get used to things, experiment, and see how i want to set up my next bike.

EDIT: I do have a Spec Hybrid as well, for more allround cycling

tonyzero I can definitely recommend the Stumpjumper Expert '08. Had mine for about a month now and I love it. It is extremely capable on the trails and can handle some pretty heavy stuff too. Its also pretty quick on the road, and not much heavier than a lot of HT's (of a lower price of course). Oh and as for the whole road bike/MTB/full sus argument..... having spent £1500 on my Expert I am not about to spend £500 on a road bike just to commute to work, that would be plain stupid.

If I was cycling on the road a lot, then I would certainly buy a road bike, but just for commuting when I already have a full susser which is reasonable on the road when locked out, it is pointless.

The gear should be good for all but the worst hills (61"ish). It's mainly a commute bike, and I live near the top of Hampstead Hill in London (anyone who knows it will tell you it's one of the worst climbs in London), so I had to keep the gears reasonably low, or i'll never get home in the evenings :p. Like i said, it's my first road bike so it's more to get used to things, experiment, and see how i want to set up my next bike.

EDIT: I do have a Spec Hybrid as well, for more allround cycling

How is that gear good for hills? I don't get it, looks like my bottom gear I use for 35+mph O_o.

Is it something inside the hub that makes it feel like a massive cog or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom