Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tonyzero I can definitely recommend the Stumpjumper Expert '08. Had mine for about a month now and I love it. It is extremely capable on the trails and can handle some pretty heavy stuff too. Its also pretty quick on the road, and not much heavier than a lot of HT's (of a lower price of course). Oh and as for the whole road bike/MTB/full sus argument..... having spent £1500 on my Expert I am not about to spend £500 on a road bike just to commute to work, that would be plain stupid.

If I was cycling on the road a lot, then I would certainly buy a road bike, but just for commuting when I already have a full susser which is reasonable on the road when locked out, it is pointless.

in the end i ordered the "Elite 08" because most users didn't think the brain system was worth the extra cash spent on it, i should get it this Saturday :D

Just got in to work and my office window has a prime view of the start point of todays tour of britian stage, wish i was at home it goes past my house twice.

I'll post pics later

Surely you will have more than one road bike? For long rides one with gears would be much much better especially when it comes to hills unless you don't plan on doing anything hilly or long.

I only have 1 bike for road use and its my Spesh Tricross Single Speed mind you it is 42 / 18.

My mountain bike is a Singlespeed hardtail also but that eats hills :p

I'd fail badly with single speed, I need 34/25 to get up any steep hills.

You do 35mph in bottom gear? I'm confused.

To be doing 35mph with my gear i'll need to be pedalling at over 160rpm:eek:

I pedal that fast, at one point I was doing about 170rpm for 40mph, in my most bottom gear I am pedaling at about 130rpm for about 46mph. So I guess, no Idont do 35mph in my bottom gear, about 2 rings up.

I'd fail badly with single speed, I need 34/25 to get up any steep hills.

Ahh... well I'm better at grinding than spinning (years of heavy squatting). Fortunately the hill I have to get up are quite steep, but not very long, so I just grit my teeth and grind for a couple of minutes. I think spinning at 130 would make my knees fall apart :p

Ahh... well I'm better at grinding than spinning (years of heavy squatting). Fortunately the hill I have to get up are quite steep, but not very long, so I just grit my teeth and grind for a couple of minutes. I think spinning at 130 would make my knees fall apart :p

Well of course I only do that down hills and on flats :p

Up hills I cant do anything about grinding, usually around 50-80rpm up hills, I find I am useless up any hills until I get a rhythm, then I get off the saddle and I am fine, I also find that on certain steepness of hills I'm in front of everyone easily, if I pushed abit harder I'd leave everyone behind, but when the hills get even steeper then I'm the one getting left behind :p

Well of course I only do that down hills and on flats :p

Up hills I cant do anything about grinding, usually around 50-80rpm up hills, I find I am useless up any hills until I get a rhythm, then I get off the saddle and I am fine, I also find that on certain steepness of hills I'm in front of everyone easily, if I pushed abit harder I'd leave everyone behind, but when the hills get even steeper then I'm the one getting left behind :p

As long as i get a good run upto a hill im usally fine, but most of the time its out of the saddle work.

You see, my problem is (being a cyling n00b), i don't feel confident out of the saddle, i just do a semi rowing grinding action which seems to work. (probably using more brute strength than good technique :()

At first I was scared of been out of the saddle as on my old bike doing that would results in the frame hitting in between my legs are quite abit of force as the chain skipped and threw me, seems ok on a decent working bike, nothing to be scared of

As I mentioned a good few pages back, my bike finally arrived in stock today and I picked it up this afternoon.

Pinarello FP1, I'll get a few pics of it uploaded tomorrow. Weather looks good, nice and dry tomorrow, so can't wait to get out on the thing.

Anyone been to the Edinburgh bike Cooperative?. First time there today, what a shop, I could have spent a fortune in there but had to hold back!!! :p

As I mentioned a good few pages back, my bike finally arrived in stock today and I picked it up this afternoon.

Pinarello FP1, I'll get a few pics of it uploaded tomorrow. Weather looks good, nice and dry tomorrow, so can't wait to get out on the thing.

Anyone been to the Edinburgh bike Cooperative?. First time there today, what a shop, I could have spent a fortune in there but had to hold back!!! :p

thats where i just ordered my Elite from :D

It's a really good shop. Lots of choice on offer and their "own brand" stuff is top quality.

I got the FP1 from Velo Ecosse, just a few hundred yards away, as they are the only Pinarello dealer who were part of my Cyclescheme. :)

But I popped into EBC to grab a pair of glasses and a few other bits and bobs, I'll certainly be going back for a few more bits. :D

Just been out for a 10 miler, bit of a shakedown for the bike.

Went well, got a few adjustments to make. Still can't get this daft Lidl wireless trip computer to register anything though, I'm guessing I've made a mess of setting it up though. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of two stunning Italian's side by side :cool: :-

fp1resize1.jpg

fp1resize2.jpg

fp1resize3.jpg

fp1resize4.jpg

fp1resize5.jpg

Amazing bikes, is that rear mech a Tiagra?, I'd have thought it would be ultegra minimum on a bike like that no? :confused:

Yes m8, it's Tiagra equipped. It's the only thing I had reservations about when it came to deciding what to buy, but I am a complete newcomer to road bikes, so I really can't tell any difference between this and Ultegra, Dura Ace or any higher spec Campy stuff as I've never tried any of it. :cool:

I can always upgrade at a later date if I feel like it, but I'm chuffed with it as it is just now. It's as light as a feather, the finish and craftsmanship on it is sublime. More than happy with it so far and I've only been out for a short 8 mile run as yet.

A few more, without the RSV in the background :-

single1.jpg

single2.jpg

single3.jpg

Is it full carbon? How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking. The patterns and all that on the frame make it worth more. I'd love some wheels like that, they look cool. That bike just looks like a masterpiece, I think if I had it I'd frame it :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom