Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoops.. More upgrades. ;)

Merlin were flogging off Juicy 7's cheap. Had to have a set hehe! ;)

pics060.jpg

Swapped the tyres over for some Tioga Factory XC as well in preperation for next weeks mudbath, I mean Viking Challenge 50km. :)

pics059.jpg

Replaced the forks with the other set I got with the frame.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Yeah, they're still Manitou rubbish, but they feel better than the black fork and they're more adjustable. I'm going to get some Lyriks or something once I can afford.

Well, I got around the Viking Challenge in one piece! One puncture (loads of people suffered on one section due to the area being cleared of trees and shrubs leaving lots of small sharp bits of wood about the place.

However, it wasn't at no expense. If you managed 10mph on most sections (bar the road links to each section) you were flying. The mud was unlike anything I've ever seen, so much so that by about half way around I'd completely burned away my brake pads, front and rear. It was that thick that even trying to turn the wheel around was impossible because it jammed on the fork... Crazy stuff.

Luckily there were quite a few water splashes about, so you could hit those and clear off the majority of the muck, but the bike is absolutely bladdered and will need a total strip down. Hopefully the (new!) brake pads will be the only casualty!

I took one pic - having got back to the van and clearing up myself a bit, I took one of the bike:

Image243.jpg

Most of the real thick muck had come off, but you get the idea! :D

Last edited:
Well, I got around the Viking Challenge in one piece! One puncture (loads of people suffered on one section due to the area being cleared of trees and shrubs leaving lots of small sharp bits of wood about the place.

However, it wasn't at no expense. If you managed 10mph on most sections (bar the road links to each section) you were flying. The mud was unlike anything I've ever seen, so much so that by about half way around I'd completely burned away my brake pads, front and rear. It was that thick that even trying to turn the wheel around was impossible because it jammed on the fork... Crazy stuff.

Luckily there were quite a few water splashes about, so you could hit those and clear off the majority of the muck, but the bike is absolutely bladdered and will need a total strip down. Hopefully the (new!) brake pads will be the only casualty!

I took one pic - having got back to the van and clearing up myself a bit, I took one of the bike:

Image243.jpg

Most of the real thick muck had come off, but you get the idea! :D

Nightmare to clean off? :D, So will you HAVE TO strip the bike down to clean all that off?

Quick question, you rekon these little Evans shops on highstreet allow you to take your bike in the shop? I know it sounds stupid but some places don't let you take bikes in.

I've cleaned the bike down and to look at it's fine, but the drivetrain feels a bit gritty and I'll bet the frame is swimming with the water I was riding through. One lad had it up to his seatpost... A strip down and rebuild is defo gonna be needed, might need new gear cabling too.

Bike shops here let you take the bike in. Servicing is good money for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom