Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you work at Halfords?

I guess he's lucky, the Halfords near me the guys there try to con people and don't know what they are talking about.

I do,work alongside kieranV who has posted in this thread. I think because we all ride we tend to have a decent knowledge and tend to be honest and go out our way to be nice.

Isnt it a bit pointless repairing that bike? Surely after labour a new bike would work out cheaper?

Well the best bikeshop in the Glasgow area is probably bikelove......he charges £25 an hour...halfrods are meant to charge £35 an hour but he has a bike care plan(labour free on any work that needs done aslong as parts are ordered through us) but i would probably have did it for not a lot just whenever i wasn't too busy during the week.

£100 frame, ~£50 for a front wheel or £86 for a set......new bike would be about £300 or so.

It happens a lot allthough I've been lucky enough so far to not get involved in a punchup :p, sometimes I just wonder if its due to me being an inexperience cyclist when I run into problems, like I indicate into a second lane or to turn right and a car is behind me and I dare not move over for fear he might decide to barge past me last min.

Here in Manchester I dont see the point of using card in some parts, going down the Curry mile its total gridlock sometimes, proberbly due to the buses, I get thorugh much faster, its nice when behind a bus though, 30+mph easy :D, shame the roads are bumpy and all **** in manchester :(.

The roads on the way to work are a little bumpy around here too, not that bad though when trying to avoid them. I go down a bus route too, slip-streaming behind buses is great... Cant be too close though as Ive nearly burried the front end into the back on one many times :p

Spend more time on your bike!

Was that aimed at me? I spend loads of time on my bike properly not just road riding. Glentress last week, although i've having this week off after totally wrecking my arm :o. I just don't spend that much money on it. To be fair the last few things i bought were expensive though, well for me, £100 on brakes (Juicy 7's) and ~£200 i think of wheels (hope pro II's, xc717's), but thats literally in the last year. Everything else has been cheap things as i've broken things (rear mech shorts tops etc...). I spend very little on my bike and have just as much fun as my friends some who spend 10x as much as i do? I suppose if you've got the money go for it, but i've yet to be totally convinced.

Was that aimed at me? I spend loads of time on my bike properly not just road riding. Glentress last week, although i've having this week off after totally wrecking my arm :o. I just don't spend that much money on it. To be fair the last few things i bought were expensive though, well for me, £100 on brakes (Juicy 7's) and ~£200 i think of wheels (hope pro II's, xc717's), but thats literally in the last year. Everything else has been cheap things as i've broken things (rear mech shorts tops etc...). I spend very little on my bike and have just as much fun as my friends some who spend 10x as much as i do? I suppose if you've got the money go for it, but i've yet to be totally convinced.

Oh silly me you meant money, for some reason I thought you meant time :p

I bought a new toy for my bike, a Continental GP4000S tyre, I'll move the GP4000 to the front now as its worn, hopefully the 4000S will provide extra grip on the rear, my breaks are pants though I break hard at all and thats it am locked up on the rear, its got like 3 times longer stopping distance than my old bike, at 30mph I have to allow like 20meters to stop instead of like 8, dunno if its the stuff that comes off the breaks and gets onto the rims that needs cleaning tho.

I bought a new toy for my bike, a Continental GP4000S tyre, I'll move the GP4000 to the front now as its worn, hopefully the 4000S will provide extra grip on the rear,

Urg, don't mention tyres, i'm running some maxxis cross somethings atm, and they have next to no grip it seems compared to my old tyres. I never realised it would make such a dramatic difference. I told myself i'd just wear them out and never buy them again but i'm thinking of getting some new ones early now... :(

My tarmac makes a return sporting some new ultegra shifters, chainset and brakes. The 105 bits replaced are going on a new frame that I've been building up, hopefully get some pics of that soon when it's finished.

Can feel a positive difference between the 105 and ultegra, the shift is more clicky and industrial and the bike seems to respond better out-the-saddle. Most likely a psychological improvement primarily though.

tarmac_comp_ultegraSLsmall.jpg

Darn - I'm building up a cove stiffee but it's taking longer than expected.
I made it a challenge to have it all second hand parts of good condition and spec.

Leaving for holiday soon, but will update the thread with pics when i come back

Urg, don't mention tyres, i'm running some maxxis cross somethings atm, and they have next to no grip it seems compared to my old tyres. I never realised it would make such a dramatic difference. I told myself i'd just wear them out and never buy them again but i'm thinking of getting some new ones early now... :(

I don't really notice much between tyres, my old ones on my old bike are no where near as good as my GP4000's apparently yet I cant tell the difference between them grip wise.

My tarmac makes a return sporting some new ultegra shifters, chainset and brakes. The 105 bits replaced are going on a new frame that I've been building up, hopefully get some pics of that soon when it's finished.

Can feel a positive difference between the 105 and ultegra, the shift is more clicky and industrial and the bike seems to respond better out-the-saddle. Most likely a psychological improvement primarily though.

tarmac_comp_ultegraSLsmall.jpg

GP4000 Tyres?

I love the red ones, look so cool :cool:

I've found Dales Cycles and Alpine Bikes to be very good when it comes to repairs and servicing. All prices laid out before work starts and no hidden extras.

My brother got his fsr from dales,very good service. I ordered up both my goodrige hoses via them and got them in a good time so no complaints for them. They were next door to my girlfriends uni halls so used them. Alpine bikes i went in to for a hub as bikelove wanted £65 for a 20mm bolt through pro2,they only had a QR one but opened a conversion kit and made it 20mm on the spot n was only £50 or even less.

Bikelove is directly across the road from my girlfriends new flat so that's why I'm getting work done there as he is pretty much a workshop only shop.

I also rate gear bikes in the west end for a really good wheelbuild,only very slightly buckled after a bad crash and riding witht he spokes a bit lose,craig mc marting cycles in the soutside are good too,they stock very nice stuff and did his best for me when i needed new cranks,kept me up to date with the progess(Afte they didnt come in).

Last edited:
Haven't ridden my road bike in a couple of months so figured I'd do a century tomorrow to loosen up :)
Main ride today on my road bike was about 70 miles, but then probably did about another 5 on my SS going to football for an hour of 5-a-side after the ride. Tired doesn't come close after that, good night sleep and time for some DH tomorrow though :D

Anyone interested in a Road bike - Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7

Will also chuck in a free computer for an OcUK'er :)

edit: fair enough... contact me if anyone is interested - 650 inc shoes and computer ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom