Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im liking my smarty's, took about 10 minutes to get the right positioning to get clipped in everytime but once i got it i was fine :)

heres the bike in its fully accesorised state, ready for the winter.
IMG_3599.jpg

Im liking my smarty's, took about 10 minutes to get the right positioning to get clipped in everytime but once i got it i was fine :)

I dunno i love them but clipping in and out can be a pain on an a trail hill, i haven't quite got to the stage where i can jump on my pedals and KNOW i'm clipped in. Still wouldn't change them back to flats in a hurry i love the extra power they can give me and control on decents (although the crashing part ain't so easy anymore). Pros and cons but i like them :)

Well they're just "used" to their own SPD's and also their cleats obviously won't work with my SL's and i'm usually wearing my shoes so they can't just jump on my bike while we're out.

There isn't anything harder about them, they're just "different". Shed mud much better though :)

I use SPD's on my commuting road bike and SL's on my main bike, I find SL's much better and easier to clip in by miles, they do SPD SL shape pedals for SPD shoes too which I found odd at first.

Maybe, thats the reason I went SPD SL, as traffic lights was a nightmare with SPD :p.

Wait i think you're getting slightly confused though, by SL's i mean Candy SL's, as in the stainless steel version of the crank bro's eggbeater pedal with platform. But same reasoning still stands although its without doubt easier to rider on my mates SPD's with "normal" trainers than it is on my death trap SL's (they literally just spin your feet off the platfrom its funny in a way watching people try).

On another note i wanted to go out today but the weather was totally awful and i'm being a pussy about it :p :o

Wait i think you're getting slightly confused though, by SL's i mean Candy SL's, as in the stainless steel version of the crank bro's eggbeater pedal with platform. But same reasoning still stands although its without doubt easier to rider on my mates SPD's with "normal" trainers than it is on my death trap SL's (they literally just spin your feet off the platfrom its funny in a way watching people try).

On another note i wanted to go out today but the weather was totally awful and i'm being a pussy about it :p :o

I never knew other company did cleats with SL in the name :p

omg you should not let the weather stop you, I did 38 miles other day in heavy chucking it down rain, downside is dirty clothes and gotta clean bike :(

I never knew other company did cleats with SL in the name :p

omg you should not let the weather stop you, I did 38 miles other day in heavy chucking it down rain, downside is dirty clothes and gotta clean bike :(

I was out last week in the rain, but it's taking the **** a bit today never mind the heavy rain, its sideways with the wind, and thats before i even make it up the side of the pentlands.

I was out last week in the rain, but it's taking the **** a bit today never mind the heavy rain, its sideways with the wind, and thats before i even make it up the side of the pentlands.

I was on the pennines going down hill at about 30+ mph and there was 20+mph crosswind and that nearly blew me over, and just coming back into the village the headwind was so bad it felt like climbing a hill at around 14mph.

I need help on speccing out my Cove stiffee.

I need your help.
The stiffee would be used as a Jack of all trades bikes for a bt of AM/Trail/FR/Jump you name it.

I need to keep the cost low, so looking for good "Bang for buck" parts, in stead of best-of-the-best

I have the following parts already

Frame: Cove Stiffee
Forks: Rockshox pike coil
Headset: FSA
Stem: Euston
Bars: Euston monkey
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde
Wheelset: Hope Hoops
Pedals: Wellgo platforms
Chain: Sram
Grips: Peaty grips

I need the following

Shifters: ?
Chainset & BB: ?
Front Mech: ?
Rear Mech: ?
Casette: ?
Seat post: ?
Saddle : ?
Tyres: ?
Tubes: ?

Thinking of Shimano SLX and XT shifters etc - but ideally only wanted 2 chainrings
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Personally i'd go with an Sram cassette to match the chain and then go with the full groupset of either SLX or XT (obviously minus the brakes, etc). Depends whether you're going to be leaning towards performance (XT) or toughness (SLX).

Tubes, you cant go wrong with schwalbe and you can pick up two for about £7 delivered on the bay. Saddle, tyres and seat post are all pretty much personal preference.

EDIT: Dont really think many places sell 'groupsets' any more, but you probably wont find better prices than chainreaction or wiggle.

Last edited:
What size chainrings do you want? I use 24-36 on my Vagrant and I find I run out of teeth a bit quick when I'm using the 36 ring. I've got to get myself a 38t, so that's what I'll recommend: 24-38 although you'll have to buy them as separates.

Length refers to crank arm and they'll come with a Hollowtech II BB which will fit either 68mm or 73mm BB shells. For reference yours is a 68mm.

From memory, all Cove aluminium frames come pre-faced so you shouldn't need to have anything done to the BB shell before fitting your new chainset and BB. But it's probably worth getting the LBS to check it out anyway, just in case it's not been done well or the threads need chasing.

Anyway, how come you've chosen XT? Don't you want a double-ring and bash setup like this?

Length refers to crank arm and they'll come with a Hollowtech II BB which will fit either 68mm or 73mm BB shells. For reference yours is a 68mm.

From memory, all Cove aluminium frames come pre-faced so you shouldn't need to have anything done to the BB shell before fitting your new chainset and BB. But it's probably worth getting the LBS to check it out anyway, just in case it's not been done well or the threads need chasing.

Anyway, how come you've chosen XT? Don't you want a double-ring and bash setup like this?

You legend, that's what I was looking for thanks mate
Couldnt find it last night... probably because of my tiredness after 36hours worth of travelling! :P
Does that crankset inc the BB ?

My pleasure.

All the modern cranksets with these new Hollowtech style bottom-brackets come with the bearing cups included. Just make sure your BB shell is faced and the threads chased, screw them in and connect up the rest of the chainset.

However, you will need something like this in order to fit the BB cups and pre-load the bearings. It's worth your while investing in a good one as modern bottom-brackets aren't as 'fit and forget' as the old cartridge style.

Last edited:
Done

Code:
(1) Shimano Cranksets - MTB SLX Chainset Double M665 Black 4-Bolt 22.36 175mm
(1) SRAM Gear Shifters - MTB X.9 Trigger Shifter 9sp F&R Pair
(1) Wellgo Pedals Flat CNC Platform B27 Sealed Bearing Silver
(1) Shimano Derailleurs - MTB Rear SLX Shadow Rear Derailleur M662 Black SGS (Long Cage)
(1) Da Bomb Seatposts Post Dalux 30.0 350mm Black
(1) Shimano Brakes Disc Rotors Disc XT Splined RT78 160mm Splined with Lockring
(1) Shimano Brakes Disc Rotors Disc XT Splined RT78 180mm Splined with Lockring
(1) Shimano Derailleurs - MTB Front Deore Front Derailleur Conventional M511 28.6-34.9 Black BP-TP
(1) Blk Market Bikes Saddles Brass Knuckle Seat White
(1) Powerplay Seat Clamps Seat Clamp - QR 31.8mm Silver
(1) Shimano Cassettes - MTB Deore Cassette 9 Speed HG50 11-34
(1) Maxxis Tyres - MTB 26" Minion DH Single Ply Front 26 x 2.35 SINGLE PLY MaxxPro 60a
(1) Maxxis Tyres - MTB 26" Minion DH Single Ply Rear 26 x 2.35 SINGLE PLY MaxxPro 60a
[URL="https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27736"](1) Rock Shox Forks Spares - Axles Pike/Argyle Maxle Each[/URL]
[URL="https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4062"](1) Park Tool Tools BB Install Spanner & Tool HollowTech II TLFC32 & 16 (HollowTech II)[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom