Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bike is going downhill, it has developed squeaking, through chain needed oiling but it is still there, earlier I narrowed a squeaking down to the cogs on the gears, jockey wheels?, oiled them, sorted it but came back, when to Edinburgh Cycles and they said chain is worn and used this chain thing to check so getting a new chain tomorrow and thats costing 16 quid inc labor:( Going to need a new block as well I think :( AND the wheels are coming out of true :(

A chain really isn't hard to do in the slightest, i mean with a powerlink i can do it without tools and in <10 seconds. Without one its not much longer and its an on trail fix too so it can't be that hard ;). Other squeaks creaks could be from the BB area, my cranks are giving me a little creaky jib recently when putting a lot of power down, i'm waiting for them to fail on me whilst really giving it some uphill grunt in comical fashion somehow.

Wheels are really left to an LBS, i know mine round the corner will do them for about £4.

By "block" i assume you mean chain rings? You probably won't need all new ones, just the most used, usually the two biggest. The biggest is VERY easy to change, middle needs a crank extractor, costs about £10 off the top of my head and its more of an investment i guess.

Last edited:
Some little ***** has just nicked my bike. A 2007 Giant Terrago that I use daily, along with my Schwalbe road tires and Abus D-Lock. :mad:

The money isn't so much of a problem - it's insured. I'm going to be seriously inconvenienced until I get a new one. Does anyone know how long a claim usually takes?

Some little ***** has just nicked my bike. A 2007 Giant Terrago that I use daily, along with my Schwalbe road tires and Abus D-Lock. :mad:

The money isn't so much of a problem - it's insured. I'm going to be seriously inconvenienced until I get a new one. Does anyone know how long a claim usually takes?

Nightmare :(

Not sure of timeframe but Insurance companies are a right pain in the ass. They will ask so many questions in order to somehow catch you out and get away without paying up

Nightmare :(

Not sure of timeframe but Insurance companies are a right pain in the ass. They will ask so many questions in order to somehow catch you out and get away without paying up

Nothing to do with bikes but when I claimed after dropping my laptop all it took was a 10 min phonecall and to send off the recipt of the replacement id already bought, quick and easy

sorry to here about the bike theft, Ive had some bad news today from the bike shop got a call saying it might not be till Jan 09 before i get my bike now.

might as well let you know the bike now, I will be paying £2,400 cash for it when it comes

I've a pile of new bike bits but I can't even fit them, let alone ride at the moment :@

Main bits are a new through axle fork for one of my MTB's and a new Specialized Toupe saddle for my main road bike.

IMG_2036.jpg

My ride, had it since July. It's a 2008 Giant XTC 4.5, and was an insurance replacement for my GT Aggressor which got robbed. This bike is better than my old one, has an LX rear mech, Giant's own MPH 160mm hydraulic discs and Dart 2 forks. Very good bike for the money (£500), would recommend it to anyone.

Considering buying a road bike soon, possibly a 2009 Trek 1.2 double:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/12-double-2009-road-bike-ec016471

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom