Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there so few roadies on here? :(

Me!!! Me!!! Me!!! :p

I asked the same thing a few pages back. Thread is full of those daft mountain bike thingies, innit?. :D

Not been out on mine for over two weeks as its been sat in one of my LBS workshops waiting for a gear service.

Absolutely ridiculous time to have to wait, even if they are busy at Xmas.

Called 4 times, each time I get told they have been busy and it will be definately done tomorrow.

If they dont call today and say its ready ( was told yesterday that it would be DEFINATELY ready this afternoon ), I will defo be naming and shaming them in great detail on all the major bike forums that I'm a member of. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and a "big up" to what you consider to be a good LBS, but it also works in the other direction IMO.

Anyway, rant over - Xmas pressies - I got a load of vouchers for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op, not sure what to spend them on yet.

Pair of Sealskinz windproof gloves and the missus is finally allowing me to buy a half decent trainer.

It's looking like a Tacx Flow at the minute, can't really justify spending any more than that on an iMagic. :cool:

Me!!! Me!!! Me!!! :p

I asked the same thing a few pages back. Thread is full of those daft mountain bike thingies, innit?. :D

Not been out on mine for over two weeks as its been sat in one of my LBS workshops waiting for a gear service.

Absolutely ridiculous time to have to wait, even if they are busy at Xmas.

Called 4 times, each time I get told they have been busy and it will be definately done tomorrow.

If they dont call today and say its ready ( was told yesterday that it would be DEFINATELY ready this afternoon ), I will defo be naming and shaming them in great detail on all the major bike forums that I'm a member of. I believe in giving credit where credit is due and a "big up" to what you consider to be a good LBS, but it also works in the other direction IMO.

Anyway, rant over - Xmas pressies - I got a load of vouchers for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op, not sure what to spend them on yet.

Pair of Sealskinz windproof gloves and the missus is finally allowing me to buy a half decent trainer.

It's looking like a Tacx Flow at the minute, can't really justify spending any more than that on an iMagic. :cool:

I'm sorry but even Halfrauds don't take that long!

Why where you taking it in for a gear service? I'm sure you could do it yourself? I replaced my front mech and with some help from my dad got it working, it's even a 10speed mech on a 9speed chain and cassette so it's a little harder to set up.

I'm sorry but even Halfrauds don't take that long!

Why where you taking it in for a gear service?

I had attempted to adjust it myself, but ended up making a mess of it and that was closely ( or trying to ) follow the Shimano .pdf guide.

Had heard a few good things about this particular LBS and decided to entrust it to the "experts". They told me at the time that it may not get done till after Xmas, and to be honest I had a load of stuff on at that point so decided I could afford to wait.

Since then I've been getting palmed off with excuses and being told "It will get done tomorrow" and "You are at the top of the to-do list after the Xmas rush".

Never gets done, fed up now. Just about to call them now and see what they come up with this time.

If it ain't ready - bad e-karma on the way I'm afraid. :mad:

Yeah, I really need to sit myself down and have a closer look at maintaining the bike and how to go about it. Thanks for the Parktools link.

Just back from the LBS in question and the bike has been done. All working perfectly I'm assured. Won't get a chance to get out on it till tomorrow as I'm working tonight.

They took £15 off me for the adjustment, dunno if thats good, bad or average?.

Yeah, I really need to sit myself down and have a closer look at maintaining the bike and how to go about it. Thanks for the Parktools link.

Just back from the LBS in question and the bike has been done. All working perfectly I'm assured. Won't get a chance to get out on it till tomorrow as I'm working tonight.

They took £15 off me for the adjustment, dunno if thats good, bad or average?.

Sounds about right, I know at Edinburgh Co op they charge 8 quid for front mech service, maybe same for rear mech too.

I thought enough is enough and bought stuff so I can do plenty of things myself as it's cost me nearly 300 so far bought chain whip, crank tool, special piece to remove rear cassette, all I need now is some cone spanners.

I replaced the bottom bracket myself and all is working smoothly, I replaced both the STI Shifters myself too as they broke, I attempted truing my wheel, wont be doing that again!!

Anyone get some nice bike related Christmas prezzies this year?
New Apollo Dual Suspension Special Edition bike, reduced from £450 to only £189. It even came with a free build and safety check.

apollo-bike.jpg

Check out the Spec
  • Lightweight and strong Aluminium dual Suspension frame
  • Front and rear suspension for increased comfort Both on and off the road
  • Front and rear Mechanical Quad Disc Brakes Greatly increase breaking performance in wet and muddy conditions
  • Chunky wide tyres for increased grip in extreme conditions

I'm going to take it to Wales to see how it handles in extreme conditions.

Last edited:
Charge Spoon, a gift from the biking gods. It's cheap and it's comfy, and it's not too heavy. Mmmm. I can almost feel its gentle caress of my OEM-saddle-scarred posterior now.

My official christmas present arrived, one slightly used On One Scandal frame. Now to fit it out with the bits off my Carrera, so that people stop pointing at the name on my bike and laughing, and throwing sticks. Oh, and a set of Revelations in the post :D Can't decide whether to build it with my Toras or wait for the new ones.

New Apollo Dual Suspension Special Edition bike, reduced from £450 to only £189. It even came with a free build and safety check.

apollo-bike.jpg

Check out the Spec
  • Front and rear Mechanical Quad Disc Brakes Greatly increase breaking performance in wet and muddy conditions

It will fall apart if you take it off tarmac, good luck.

apollo-bike.jpg

Check out the Spec

Whoa that's a beast, I bet you're going to leave everyone for dust!
:)

That Apollo Dual Suspension Special Edition bike looks abit cheapo? No wonder they brought it down as thats about the max it's worth? looks like a cheapo rear suspension and just flimsy?

Show us pics when you've trashed it ye? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom