Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out yesterday after getting my bike back ( eventually ) from an LBS that I will never be visiting again.

Anyway, it was seriously cold on the face yesterday. Rest of me was fine as I was well wrapped up but I think I might try a buff or something as anytime I got a fair lick of speed up over 30mph, it honestly felt that the wind chill was going to remove my face. :p

Not sure about buff's though......does anyone use one and find it kinda restricts your breathing a wee bit?.

Also, have to say that I used my Xmas pressie Sealskinz windproof gloves for the first time and they were absolutely superb. Highly recommended.

Did a nice easy 30 mile route, not too hilly just went out and enjoyed it.

Intended going out today as well, but after getting back home from friends last night, I got waylaid in front of the PC making a few changed to a clients website so didn't manage.

Will be out tomorrow morning though!!!. :D

I have two buffs, winter and a regular I don’t find it restricts my breathing but if you have them pulled up over your mouth it usually mean that glasses will mist up on the inside if you are doing less than 10mph.

I have been told to apply wax the inside of the lense but not tried that yet.

I went out yesterday after getting my bike back ( eventually ) from an LBS that I will never be visiting again.

Anyway, it was seriously cold on the face yesterday. Rest of me was fine as I was well wrapped up but I think I might try a buff or something as anytime I got a fair lick of speed up over 30mph, it honestly felt that the wind chill was going to remove my face. :p

Not sure about buff's though......does anyone use one and find it kinda restricts your breathing a wee bit?.

Also, have to say that I used my Xmas pressie Sealskinz windproof gloves for the first time and they were absolutely superb. Highly recommended.

Did a nice easy 30 mile route, not too hilly just went out and enjoyed it.

Intended going out today as well, but after getting back home from friends last night, I got waylaid in front of the PC making a few changed to a clients website so didn't manage.

Will be out tomorrow morning though!!!. :D

What was your average speed was it windy?

I don't believe you ride anywhere that needs modern suspension ;)

people who've never ridden fully rigid underestimate what you can ride on one

it just needs line choice rather than ploughing on.

look for example at stevie peat - he cut his teeth on rigid bikes, his handling skills have benefitted from it

What was your average speed was it windy?

Not windy, nope. Quite calm. If I recall correctly my average speed was @18-20mph which is pretty much what it always is unless there's a gale blowing. :p

I have two buffs, winter and a regular I don’t find it restricts my breathing but if you have them pulled up over your mouth it usually mean that glasses will mist up on the inside if you are doing less than 10mph.

I have been told to apply wax the inside of the lense but not tried that yet.

Thanks for the info.

Old motorcyclist trick - smear neat washing up liquid over the inside of the lenses and then leave it for a few minutes. Polish with a clean dry cloth till its all gone and you will have clean, smear free glasses no matter how much you try and mist them up. :cool:

I tried the fairy on my glasses and worked a treat thanks :).

The windstopper buff with the inhaling is no problem exhaling your breath gets trapped hence why the glasses steam up at low speeds, breathing through your nose is almost impossible if you pull it right up. The other plus if you don’t run with mud guards like me and its wet you don’t get mud/water spraying into your mouth.

Ive noticed some play in BB again I currently have shimano XT 770 chainset/BB they seem to only last about 7months/1400 miles before giving up on me, has anyone tried the Acros HT or Hope Bottom Brackets

Last edited:
people who've never ridden fully rigid underestimate what you can ride on one

it just needs line choice rather than ploughing on.

look for example at stevie peat - he cut his teeth on rigid bikes, his handling skills have benefitted from it

I do appreciate that someone with loads of skill ala SP can bomb it in anything you ride, however there are limitations, just look at the DH tracks of today (Shladming etc) and the DH track of yesteryear which consisted of mianly flat out fire roads.

Mine is still more or less unrideable :mad: Sort of bad planning on my part, I assumed that the Shimano XTR cable kit would work on all bikes as it says it does in big letters, but my new frame (On One Scandal) uses full length runs not open cables so the kit's outers are useless. Had to order a few metres of uncut cable which just arrived today, so I'll be out in the garage giving it some gears. Can't wait to ride it though! I'm still waiting for the new fork (Revelation dual air) to arrive so I've built it with my old Tora SL. The difference in geometry is really noticable, the old carrera frame stoppied/endoed like mad which wasn't so good in rough stuff.

I'm thinking of getting some jewelry for my bike :p

Hopefully these snazzy looking jockey wheels wont need replacing this year.

c9c3_2.jpg

32 quid for a pair :eek:

Rights guys / bike guru's...

I need you to help me out here. Might know this already but im after a new bike in the coming months.

Ive looked at all sorts and cant really decide what to bloody get. I do a bit of everything really. I just want a bike thats strong and isn't going to break into bits when its pushed a little :p Cant be too heavy either so its not a struggle to get a bit of speed from it but im not one to go like a bat out of hell anyway. Tend to take it easy(ish) and find things to jump off that could lead me hurting myself haha!

Thinking the budget would be upto around £1800 ish. Ive looked around on Southern Down Hill forums, some really nice bikes for sale on there. Just wrong timming. Ive taken a fancy to a few Demo 8's Ive seen on there! Also a couple of Iron Horse's but they were snapped up quickly :p

Just need a great base to build on that will last and I can upgrade when the time is right.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom