Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodbye stiffee, second bike stolen in 3 months

First was stolen out the shed - lesson learned and started keeping the Stiffee in the house.
I cycled hhome tonight, but left my house keys at work. I sat in front of my door, but after an hour waiting for my wife I started freezing (shorts and a cycling top doesnt suffice)

I then looked around if anyone was near and saw no one - I proceeded to jump over my back fence and locked the bike in the shed and went to the local chippie.

I was there not for longer thn 45 minutes when they wife called to say she is home and I returned home myself. Asked herto go fetch my bike from outside ... she returned with that look on her face...

I dont know what to do anymore, they must literally live in front of me and when they must be watching me.
OUr fence in the back yard is a bit broken, with a Church behind us, which is how they could easily steal and flee

Goodbye stiffee, second bike stolen in 3 months

First was stolen out the shed - lesson learned and started keeping the Stiffee in the house.
I cycled hhome tonight, but left my house keys at work. I sat in front of my door, but after an hour waiting for my wife I started freezing (shorts and a cycling top doesnt suffice)

I then looked around if anyone was near and saw no one - I proceeded to jump over my back fence and locked the bike in the shed and went to the local chippie.

I was there not for longer thn 45 minutes when they wife called to say she is home and I returned home myself. Asked herto go fetch my bike from outside ... she returned with that look on her face...

I dont know what to do anymore, they must literally live in front of me and when they must be watching me.
OUr fence in the back yard is a bit broken, with a Church behind us, which is how they could easily steal and flee

Really really sad to hear this! :mad:

How have they got into the shed?

Its definatly someone local to you. They know you have decent bikes, just waiting for the right time to get them. must have saw you on your doorstep, noticed nobody was in, saw you put the bike round the back into the shed then walked off. I bet, you probably were only 100 yards down the road before they were in and taking the bike!

I dont know what to do, these people are watchng me and my house and MUST live opposite me it's IMPOSSIBLE stealing the bike wihin 45 mins flat without watching me like a hawk
I have a new Bugg puppy (kinda expensive dog that I love to peices) - what if they steal him?! (incidently also named Makulu :p )

What happens when my Morewood Makulu comes, it's a £4 000 bike. I lock it up like hell inside the house, if they can't manage to steal it, they just steal everything else and stick my toothbrush up their arse for good measure?

You could go up to motorbike security maybe... An Almax Series 3 chain and a proper concreted in ground anchor will stop anything less than an angle grinder or hydraulic cutters. Most pushbike thieves will be equipped with a big bolt cropper, which will sever any cycle-specific lock, but not these things, they're like anchor chains. Pro motorbike thieves mostly have hydraulic cutters but I doubt you have to worry about that.

Or, better house security of course... I think you'll quite likely find that they think there's a line to draw between breaking into a shed (which, to be honest, isn't really any security at all) and breaking into a house... It strikes me that they wouldn't restrict themselves to nicking bikes if they were comfortable going into houses, quicker and easier gains there. In your position I'd still be looking at the physical security of the house though, it might just be a matter of time.

Very glad I'm not in your position- hope it never happens to you again :(

Had a visit from the upgrade fairy.

100_1720.jpg

100_1721.jpg

100_1722.jpg

Giant Trance X 28lbs even.

Answer Hyperlite Carbon bars
Charge Sponge Grips
XT M775 Brake levers
Saint M810 Shifter pods
Thomson Elite 50mm stem
Magura Thor 140-100mm fork
Saint M810 brakes
Hayes V7 rotors
Goodridge Hose
Fibrax Cable outers
SLX M665 Cranks
E-thirteen Bash, SLX 36t, Blackspire 24t
Egg Beater C pedals
Charge Spoon Ti saddle
Eason EA70 post
XT M772 Shadow RD
XT M760 FD
XT Cassette
Spinergy Xyclone Disc wheels
Maxxis Ardent tires (ghetto tubeless)

Loving the cable outers and goodridge hoses, where do you get the outers from?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17563

Goodridge hose was surprisingly cheap, they seem to be going for £19 at most places for most brakes these days, so only £6 more than shimano hose, and they do feel more progressive, not necessarily firmer just move concise, still waiting for my saints to bed in so when they are I can give a better account.

I just got my Revelation dual airs :cool: Just fired them into the bike, what a difference, the Tora 302s were pretty decent but these are just plush. And they weigh nothing, more than half a kilo off the bike in one swoop. Very pleased. I don't think i'll ever get tired of using the u-turn, it's like having a lowrider :D

Next stop, Merlin for some wheels. Well, it's not like my savings are earning me much interest ;)

Charge Sponge Grips
XT M775 Brake levers
Saint M810 Shifter pods
Thomson Elite 50mm stem
Saint M810 brakes
Hayes V7 rotors
Goodridge Hose
Fibrax Cable outers
SLX M665 Cranks
Egg Beater C pedals
Charge Spoon Ti saddle
Eason EA70 post
XT M772 Shadow RD
XT M760 FD
XT Cassette

What are those grips like? Just put down a deposit on my first proper bike, a Rockhopper today (:D), one thing I'd like to change are the the grips, and those Charges seem to get favourable reviews..

What are those grips like? Just put down a deposit on my first proper bike, a Rockhopper today (:D), one thing I'd like to change are the the grips, and those Charges seem to get favourable reviews..

The grips have a fuller feel than the ODI Ruffians I replaced, but white gets dirty pretty quick and I hate the clamping mechanism 4 allen screws, at least compared to the ODIs, I only keep them because they feel better than the ODIs (fuller but still plush.)

For feel get these for clamping mechanism (dont get me wrong it works I just dont like it) get the ODIs, though ODI is twice the price. Oh and the bar end is a plug instead of a cap that fits over the clamping jaws like on ODI (no issue but its obvious why they are half ODI price).

Charge Sponge Grips
XT M775 Brake levers
Saint M810 Shifter pods
Thomson Elite 50mm stem
Saint M810 brakes
Hayes V7 rotors
Goodridge Hose
Fibrax Cable outers
SLX M665 Cranks
Egg Beater C pedals
Charge Spoon Ti saddle
Eason EA70 post
XT M772 Shadow RD
XT M760 FD
XT Cassette

Thats an XC bike right, But the SLX look out of place - more of a DH bike part.

Looks good anyway! :)

Nah, SLX's a good allrounder, it's brely heavier than XT and a good bit cheaper, and stronger. It's what's going on my XC whippet too, though I'll go with the triples, I don't hold with bashrings... Now the Saint stuff, THAT looks out of place :D

Closer to all mountain than XC, SLX cranks are almost no difference weight wise from my XT M770 cranks they replaced (XT cranks went onto my hardtail with its ailing deore heavy cranks octalink BB version.)

I have cooked (sever fade and pad rubbing/ grinding) the XT brakes the Saints calipers replaced, on a pretty steep DH section which ends in a GATE and step thingy (those things desined to make cyclist dismount) I am hoping the Saints wont do the same, plus there are only £15 more than XT each for suposedly 20% better braking.

Anyone bothered tagging their bikes?

For £12, the Immobitag looks worth a go, but I'm trying to think of a reason you can't use their grain of rice style tag in a hardtail bike. The normal style one, whilst easier to fit, looks easier to remove too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom