Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, for one day only, I was the fastest man on the road :D Not really the ideal commuter under most conditions...

Snap lol. I'd bought some semi slicks for my Duster at the weekend, good job I couldn't be bothered to put them on! :D You could hardly see my bike as well once it was covered up with snow hehe!

Looks like it might be a bit slippy today, I think a lot of the snow froze overnight.

Anyone got any thoughts on what's a decent trail/am/fr hardtail frame?
Unfortunately most of those terms are marketing departments ways to sell bikes to people, as if you think about what they mean you'd never find a bike that covers all the bases.

The main questions you need to be asking yourself are.

1. What sort of body-shape do you have and how much do you weigh?
2. Where do you ride, what do you ride and why do you ride it?
3. Do you want the suppleness of a good steel frame or the rigidity of aluminium?
4. How much travel will my suspension forks 'need' to have?
5. What's my total budget for frame and parts?

I was looking at the Kinesis Pha5e, but it appears to be discontinued now and the Cove Stiffee is a bit on the pricey side, so looking for other options........
The Pha5e is/was a great frame but I never got on with it. Nicely made, nicely finished, rode well but came up so small it felt cramped. And I'm not a fan of using layback seatposts or longer stems to lengthen the cockpit.

The SC Chameleon is a lovely frame, but it will knacker your back. It's so unforgiving. The Cove Stiffee would be my pick of the aluminium 'hardcore hardtail' bunch as it's got a bit of flex and it's a lovely frame, and while it's expensive new you can usually pick a second-hand one up for around £200 or so.

Then there's the Cotic Soul (too expensive); Dialled Bike's Prince Albert (perhaps not hardcore enough) or Alpine (probably too hardcore); On-One's Scandal (perhaps a little lightweight for your needs) or 456 (great all-rounder and cheap); Cove's Handjob (practically perfect in every way, but I'm biased); Mythic's Scirocco (see comments on SC Chameleon) or Viento (Handjob's a better bike); Pace's RC305 (oh-so nice but oh-so expensive); and plenty of other one-off frames from various manufacturers.

just got the call ************************************************* yeah my new bike has just been delivered to the store @12:20 and will be ready for pick up on Thursday. I'm going to my parents place in France on Monday and was resigned to the fact I would be taking my old bike but not any more.

where is the dancing around the room emote :) :) :) :)

Sat here all day yesterday working from home and waiting for the nice TNT man to deliver my Tacx Flow as it was shipped on Saturday.

He never turned up. :(

I'm sat here again all day ( unfortunately I'm working once more from home, not just playing GTA 4 :p ) and hoping it appears today.

I suppose yesterday's non appearance could be attributed to the snow so hopefully todays better conditions will bode well for delivery. :D

Dont you just hate it when something comes up at the wrong bloody time!

IMG_4249.jpg

Currently for sale @ a bargin price of £950 :eek:

I bloody knew I shouldn't of spent £600 on a wardrobe from that big blue and yellow store!

If this came up a matter of days earlier, I would have snapped it up. Could borrow the cash but dont like borrowing if I can help it. Doubt it would be around in a month or so...

Gutted :(

What SC is that? Must be quite old as its not using VPP.
Spec aint too great tbh, seen a pimped Iron HOrse sunday go for 1200 couple of days ago!

Last edited:
Its on Southern DH.

If buying new, Im going to get a SX Trail '09. Just seeing whats floating around the 2nd market at the moment though.

Good choice for ride, not a big fan of the twistyness of the frame, but it looks better in person.

it is a bullit, and not all santa cruz bikes have vpp :p only 4 do.

Thought all their longer travel bikes do

v10, nomad, blur lt & xc do use VPP. Bullit, heckler, superlight & juliana are single pivot so its a bit of a mix and not really specific to long or short travel

Edit: Oh and the soon to be driver 8 has vpp and is a bit of a beast!

20090203-ef7tkcqdw66ixgdmr3eep3m1bs.jpg

20090203-nppttgam5813spi994m4ajtwkf.jpg

Last edited:
Im just not too sure about the look of the red rims though :p

Red?

ichbold, cheers - never really took note of any other SC's apart from the V10 and Chameleon so only ussumed since so many companies use the same suspension design, just with different travel and stroke lenght.

I see your driver and raise you

driver8lucas650.jpg

driver8lucas6501.jpg

Thats a brighter red :p

I like the idea of colour coordination of the rims, hubs and pedals. could have got a red seat post clamp to finish it all off ;)

Its idea that I might do when I get a the SX Trail.

Some gorgeous bikes posted there, love the look of DH suspension bikes.

I'd love an SX Trail too, but the new frame is a step back looks wise imo, the 08 was lovely.

I have to say the 09 SX trail is much much nicer

what you mean this

Cash.JPG

off to pick up the bike this afternoon, edit tomorrow now due to bad weather this week their running behind on building the bikes, I did get to have a quick go on the shop workers though and it's very light for it's size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom