Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some real nice bikes on here :)

Here's my Giant XTC with a few upgrades. Did 25k in Swinley Forest last week. Was fricking cold!

very similar to my felt, is that the race face stem + handle bar seat post combo that was on merlin?

feltsnow.jpg

had a great time on the ice :cool: most fun I've had in a while

Damnit Barkey - send me your address so I can post you my bike - when it pitches up :( ;)
Great bike mate really nice looking. Went to a LBS to throw a leg over and it felt great.

As for my bike - bleeding snow delayed my delivery... was supposed to be here on thursday, but alas, no such luck

barkey52, you've got a Felt aswell? I hate you... :p I had a great time on the snow over the last week or so on the way to and from work. Made the journey very intresting to say the least.

Mackeral_Fillet, what stand is that? Oh and... Welcome to the forums!

Question for you guy's. What do you use to keep the chain lubricated / oiled?

I see pics of bikes that seem to not have any lubrication on them at all as the chain, cassette etc is like new, silver coloured.

Guys i got a really quick puncture today on some spesh tyres just on a small path, i have changed the innertube for a spesh one but im not really keen on the tyres. What are the panracers like for punctures? also whats is good for an all round lube? gt85 will do most?

Tyres for 60% XC 40% paths roads

Guys i got a really quick puncture today on some spesh tyres just on a small path, i have changed the innertube for a spesh one but im not really keen on the tyres. What are the panracers like for punctures? also whats is good for an all round lube? gt85 will do most?

Tyres for 60% XC 40% paths roads

THe Pana Fire XC's have quite low rolling road resistance but you do quite a lot of path/road so maybe someone else has a better choice - I used Panaracer Cinder's before which are quite good for road. But to be honest I just use roads to get to the trails so not sure these would be the best for you! Puncture wise, they seem ok to me, only had 1 in a year or so.

I wouldn't use GT85 as a lube for drive train. Its OK for water displacement and frames etc but get a proper lube for chain etc. I personally use Rock n Roll lube, great stuff.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2608

barkey52, you've got a Felt aswell? I hate you... :p I had a great time on the snow over the last week or so on the way to and from work. Made the journey very intresting to say the least.

Mackeral_Fillet, what stand is that? Oh and... Welcome to the forums!

Question for you guy's. What do you use to keep the chain lubricated / oiled?

I see pics of bikes that seem to not have any lubrication on them at all as the chain, cassette etc is like new, silver coloured.

Hiya! Thanks for welcome.

Here's the stand I use. Highly recommend it

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15815

As for chain etc, mine is fully lubed, I just degrease the whole drivetrain every 3 months or so and lube chain. No need for cassette to be dripping in lube!

Change of plan guys. Buying an SX Trail in the coming months is not an option now. Talks have happened and Ive got to buy a car :(

So, the budget has gone down from around £2.5k which I was looking at a full suser to around £800ish. Now I reckon theres no point of trying to squeeze a entry level full suser or a second hand bike at this money. Might aswell get myself a decent HardTail which I can keep and using along side the SX Trail when I finally get one. I will get one this year if its the last thing I do :p The plan is to save some cash and suprise people when I bring the SX Trail home one day :p :D

Ive been looking at the '09 Rockhopper Expert Disc on evancycles. Currently @ £879. Spec looks decent. I dont know much about shocks. Are the 'RockShox Recon SLite' decent enough?

Another bike thats caught my eye is the Cube LTD Team / Race on CRC. I love the paint job's! Whats the difference between the Team and Race? How does it fair against the Rockhopper?

Recons are pretty nice forks. The 09 Hoppers are almost all a step back from 08, so if you can it's worth looking at last year's stock.

Probably the Boardman hardtails are worth looking at in this range as well. They fill the same sort of niche as the Hopper, only cheaper. Not sure what else you should be looking at though, I've not ridden enough in your price range. Kona Kula?

Out on the new bike today doing jumps in the woods, following a guy down the hill on his Marin he got branch stuck in the rear wheel and ripped off his rear XTR shadow mech :eek: it was hard to tell if it was damaged hopefully it was just the mech hanger.

just had quick look at the boardman bikes this one looks a bargin 08 pro. Reba Race forks, Sram x0/x9 gears, Juicy 7 breaks and Ritchey WCS finishing kit all for £850.

Buy a cheap car and stick an SX trail on the back that is worth 10x the value of the car!

The original SX trail can be had cheap nowadays you know! I'm sure I saw one for £1250 in the LBS.

Thats exactly what I going to do :D

With the cost of the car, insurance etc I can only spare around £900 tops for a bike at the moment. Then buy a SX trail later on.

Another option is to keep the Dawes Oxide Ive got atm. It does get me from A to B, well kind of anyway :p I could just keep plodding along with it for another 6 months.

I have the 09 RockHopper Comp Disc, its just the forks really and i think XT rear mech on the Expert, then the Pro gets diff forks again. Also the Expert gets SPD's. The brakes though seem to be juicy 4 which im sure are pretty much the same as the Juicy 3 SL.

I have the 09 RockHopper Comp Disc, its just the forks really and i think XT rear mech on the Expert, then the Pro gets diff forks again. Also the Expert gets SPD's. The brakes though seem to be juicy 4 which im sure are pretty much the same as the Juicy 3 SL.

How do you find it?

Tbh, Im leaning more towards the Cube LTD Race atm.

FINALLY - bike will clear customs tomorrow morning, and will be sent to my LBS nigh on immediately :D

Can only go pick it u this weekend though :(

Gonna be such a long week!

Soon be weekend. Bet it feels like its christmas when you was 10 again! I bet you get up early on saturday morning :p

I've got the 09 comp too. My experience of decent bikes is slightly limited, well ok, this my first :D but so far I'm absolutely loving it, its great to ride, couldn't ask for anything more. Nice base to start upgrading too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom