Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order them from the Twofish website and you will pay over the odds for 'em m8.

There's an eBay seller that I get mine from here :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PAIR-Twofish-...14&_trkparms=72:1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

He's doing a pair of lockblocks for £11.95 which is a veritable bargain as it includes delivery.

Thanks for that. I shall be ordering some of those. Now onto ordering a couple of torches with a charger.

Reckon P7's?

Your buying more torches / flashlights arn't you? Might be cheeky and wait for you to see whats best before I start buying :p

Anyhow, I'm ordering one P7 as I'm curious to see how they perform compared to the el-cheapo but oh-so-good Tesco AA's. :D

I don't think you'll get as big a benefit on the road as the offroad folks do... Wide beam's more important when you're constantly avoiding obstacles, rocks, trees etc. I still use my other tesco on the road and it works fine there (I was using one of the P7s on the road last week, in the snow, and while it was great in general use I think it'd just be overkill. I'm always a wee bit wary of glaring a driver as well.

GET THE PROTECTED CELLS! Seriously... The unprotected ones are only intended for use in protected devices, these batteries do not take well to abuse/deep discharge, they can go on fire in extremes apparently. (Don't hit them with a hammer either, or short them)

I've ordered a P7 but will wait for #Chri5# to reply on the Ultrafire front first before I shell out any more cash for that. ;)

I've taken some sample beam shots of my MCE compared to the Tesco AA (and a Fenix L2D Q5).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36823018@N00/sets/72157610549253979/detail/

Hopefully that gives you an idea of them in the same sort of the conditions.

I do plan to go somewhere properly dark to compare the torches and my LED bike lights (triple Cree R2 etc) but it's finding somewhere dark that I'm not going to look like a nutter with multiple lights and a camera on a tripod!

I don't think you'll get as big a benefit on the road as the offroad folks do... Wide beam's more important when you're constantly avoiding obstacles, rocks, trees etc. I still use my other tesco on the road and it works fine there (I was using one of the P7s on the road last week, in the snow, and while it was great in general use I think it'd just be overkill. I'm always a wee bit wary of glaring a driver as well.

GET THE PROTECTED CELLS! Seriously... The unprotected ones are only intended for use in protected devices, these batteries do not take well to abuse/deep discharge, they can go on fire in extremes apparently. (Don't hit them with a hammer either, or short them)

Agree on the protected 18650 cells - I've got these. There's some video on YouTube of LiIon and LiPo cells going up in flames, though they've probably taken a bit of abuse.

This charger is quite good as the mains lead is a standard figure of 8 style, so you do need to faff with a two pin adapter for use in the UK.

I've taken some sample beam shots of my MCE compared to the Tesco AA (and a Fenix L2D Q5).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36823018@N00/sets/72157610549253979/detail/

Hopefully that gives you an idea of them in the same sort of the conditions.

I do plan to go somewhere properly dark to compare the torches and my LED bike lights (triple Cree R2 etc) but it's finding somewhere dark that I'm not going to look like a nutter with multiple lights and a camera on a tripod!

:eek:

That's quite some difference!!!. I see what you mean about the beam spread being wider on the Ultrafire.

Excellent shots, thanks for that. ;)

Right, I'm starting to collect bits to build up a Cove Stiffee, however I cant decide on a colour scheme, what do people reckon?

Frame options are:

Bright Orange
Bright Green
White
Black

And then Anodised bits (Hubs, Headset, Seat Clamp, Skewers and a few other bits) are

Blue
Red
Possibly Gold

I've been thinking white frame with red bits, or orange frame with blue bits, but just cant decide! Orange with red might even work. Sad I know, but thoughts?

Bright green, with white fox forks will look sweet as.
Kinda like the Commencal Supreme DH this year , looks sweet as with the white fox 40's

commencal-supreme-dh-2009-mountain-bike-frame.jpg

My black and white Stiffee for reference
2-2.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16958

Assuming the SKU hasn't changed of course. I went for that model as I plan to modify it to take an external battery pack to (roughly) triple the run time.

Thanks for that, I think I will be ordering one soon.

Mrs wont be happy, she already flipped her lid when my Tacx trainer turned up a few days ago and she found out how much it cost. :p

Mrs wont be happy, she already flipped her lid when my Tacx trainer turned up a few days ago and she found out how much it cost. :p

lol.
My Mrs is never happy when she finds out how much things have cost for the bike. Still makes a change from buying camera lens.

Been looking at the new Giant Defy 1's today.
Bike shop had a Cervelo Soloist in, 2nd hand with Ultegra kit for £1K, plus it had some P3C's hanging up, all built up as well. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom