Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fantastic, great for all skill levels, the people there are super friendly and always up for helping out.

There is also a guy there on a white Morewood Makulu - look out for him. You might need to squint your eyes, hes that fast, talks with a South African accent, nickname is "lightning" coz hes that fast :D

I was completely truthful about suitable for all skill levels, helpful people and a guy on a White Makulu with an accent (me), the rest was mad up :P

Hahaha... Made me laugh :p :D

It's fantastic, great for all skill levels, the people there are super friendly and always up for helping out.

There is also a guy there on a white Morewood Makulu - look out for him. You might need to squint your eyes, hes that fast, talks with a South African accent, nickname is "lightning" coz hes that fast :D

I was completely truthful about suitable for all skill levels, helpful people and a guy on a White Makulu with an accent (me), the rest was mad up :P

Haha, well when I pull my finger out and sort a bike, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for you :)

I'll be the slow ass dude hanging about on the easier runs wheezing like an asthmatic 90 year old! :p

Gonna head up there on the 15th for the DH race I think, have a lil mooch about!

Here's my Specialized Hardrock XC

bikesq7.jpg

Been used for around 2.5 years and starting to get on the small side. Still, its had some fun climbing in the Lakes and Skiddaw. Thinking of probably upgrading to discs on the next bike (although I keep being told its not worth the hassle, despite having to re-adjust my V-brakes every week of use currently!)

Also no idea how all these bike pics have spotless chains, picture taken straight from the shop? :confused:

(although I keep being told its not worth the hassle, despite having to re-adjust my V-brakes every week of use currently!)

What hassle? Hydro discs are more or less self adjusting, an occasional poke at a disc to straighten it and an infrequent bleed and new pads is all they need. I'm used to dealing with similiar, bigger systems on motorbikes so maybe I'm a bit blase about it but I'd far sooner fit or service any of the disc systems I've used than v-brakes.

There's nothing wrong with Vs, they make sense on cheaper models too since it's money better spent elsewhere, but if you can afford hydro discs, get them.

Oh yeah- for the chain, best method I know of- get 3 small-ish airtight food boxes from a supermarket (about a pound) and a bottle of paraffin/kerosene from B&Q (a fiver). Fill each box about half full. Take chain off bike, throw in box number one, shake around for 10 seconds. Take chain out of box 1, wipe it down, throw it in box 2, shake around, leave to soak for 5 minutes, shake again, take it out, wipe it down. Repeat for box 3. When it comes out of box 3, it'll be absolutely pristine. Now, wipe it, let it dry, lube and refit (or refit and lube). It sounds like more trouble than it is, now I read it, but it takes no effort at all and gives perfect results.

(the reason for the 3 boxes is that box one will rapidly get very dirty, and box 2 will get dirty slower, box 3 will stay fairly clean- and the cleaner the paraffin the cleaner the chain. After a while box 3 will get mucky, so you chuck out the contents of box 1 (which will be horrible) and start again, box 2 becomes box 1 etc.)

Pedals, tyre's, chainstay, seat and tubes?

What are the pedals? Would be keen to know how you find the tyre's too :)

Oh... and keep your stones in the garden :p

Pedals are Wellgo MG1s, very light and grippy, amazing for the money really..

Not had chance to ride it yet, but have high hopes for the tyres, the knobs make the crap specialized ones look like semi slicks! :D

Yeah, I used to do that too, eventually realised that it never gets clean- no matter how many million times you do it the rag still comes away dirty. It's good enough though really, I'm just a bit obsessed :D

Where did you get the Wellgo MG1s from? What price are they? In need of new pedals as my current ones hardly have any grip in the wet. Very worn.

That chain cleaning gismo looks intresting. Could do with something like that.

I got them from Formby Cycles, £37. You can get them online cheaper, but I wanted a drive out that way anyway. Theres a few people selling them on ebay.

Yep, 2.1s. Done 18 miles today on them, and they are excellent, really are. Far more grip then the Specialized tyres that came with the bike, and they feel like they roll as well, if not better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom