Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found a stiff link on my SXT, any idea how to loosen it?

I've tried spraying it with penetrating oil and twisting as shown here, but it still won't loosen.

If it's just one link, you might be able to just remove it and replace with a powerlink or similiar. But tbh more often than not if one link's stiff the chain's probably not long for this world. Have you tried the method mentioned with the chain tool?

The thing here is that replacing a chain prematurely is annoying, but replacing it too late and killing a cassette or chainring is much worse. It's a false economy to try and wring extra miles from a chain if it's dying.

If it's just one link, you might be able to just remove it and replace with a powerlink or similiar. But tbh more often than not if one link's stiff the chain's probably not long for this world. Have you tried the method mentioned with the chain tool?

The thing here is that replacing a chain prematurely is annoying, but replacing it too late and killing a cassette or chainring is much worse. It's a false economy to try and wring extra miles from a chain if it's dying.

I've only had the bike a week though so the chain is brand new.

I've got a Crank Brothers Multi tool which has a link removal device on it, can I use it to add links and do you think it's alright to use a link from a SRAM 951 chain? The chain on my SXT is a SRAM 971.

I've only had the bike a week though so the chain is brand new.

I've got a Crank Brothers Multi tool which has a link removal device on it, can I use it to add links and do you think it's alright to use a link from a SRAM 951 chain? The chain on my SXT is a SRAM 971.

Is it a totally new bike? I'd have it back to the shop to be honest, that's not right. And the 971 is a good chain usually, so it's weird to have it play up so fast, sounds like it might have been overpressed at the factory. If it's the soft link (powerlink) from a 951 it'll be fine, the powerlink is universal (even fits shimano chains :D)

You could possibly push the pins out then replace them with the tool, but these chains aren't really meant for that, the pins are just interference fit so once they've been removed once there's no guarantee they'll refit as strongly as they were before. But that's where the powerlink comes in, lovely bit of design.

I've just taken the chain off my bike and closely examined it and it looks like the edge of one of the links has been bashed on something, which has kind of squashed the metal out (sorry, don't know how else to described it) which is causing the link to stick.

EDIT:

Not sure if you can see it too well as the picture size has been reduced but here's a photo of the problem any way.'
P1000581.jpg

Forth link to the left of the multi tool in the foreground.

Last edited:
Haha, well when I pull my finger out and sort a bike, I'll be sure to keep my eye out for you :)

I'll be the slow ass dude hanging about on the easier runs wheezing like an asthmatic 90 year old! :p

Gonna head up there on the 15th for the DH race I think, have a lil mooch about!

I'll be racing in said race, look out for the slow wheezing 90 year old asthmatic competitor :D

Okay, cheers 6thElement, I'll have a word on them.

Northwind, would White Spirits do for your chain cleaning method?

I use white spirit in a small painting tray. fill tray with white sprit then use a decent brush to clean the chain. rinse and repeat till its nice and sparkly.
Other method ive head of is to use some thing like a large Oasis drink bottle, put some white spirit in the bottom, put the chain in then shake it about, rinse and repeat till nice and clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom