Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2639_138356925166_786205166_6007076_3086329_n.jpg

2639_138356935166_786205166_6007077_175275_n.jpg

2639_138356915166_786205166_6007075_1182575_n.jpg

2639_138356910166_786205166_6007074_3756579_n.jpg

Nice pics :)

If my girl friend is working on Sunday then i'll join you at Cannock, otherwise it'll be Saturday.
I'll give you a run for your money on the Cannock Downhill :)

Change of plan - I went to Cannock yesterday so won't be going Sunday.
The conditions were perfect; dry and sunny but not too hot, making it the best ride for months.

Did Follow the Dog up to section 8, broke off to go over the railway, then did the Monkey Trail 3 times, some other single track trails and the downhill 4 times, then back over the rail way to finish FtD :)
The dry conditions meant it was the best ride since about October, roll on summer.

Last edited:

Has been a gorgeous week for biking. Went to Delamere on Friday, just pondering where to go today, although its a bit greyer. Going to rain all this week apparently :(

Roll on the summer!

I wanted to go out on the SXT again today but had to work. Cycled 19 miles yesterday on the Stumpjumper and then went out on the SXT for an hour and a half.

Going to get out extra early next Saturday and spend the whole day downhilling. It was a bit daunting at first when I got the SX Trail, but now I'm more comfortable with the bike, it's so much fun.

Just had a total impulse moment and bought this for £45
bosdug2kkgrhgookjkejllm.jpg

99% sure it's from a 2002 Rockhopper FS.

Anyone got links to some build guides? I aim to do as much as possible myself before the LBS bend me over for labour costs.

Just had a total impulse moment and bought this for £45
bosdug2kkgrhgookjkejllm.jpg

99% sure it's from a 2002 Rockhopper FS.

Anyone got links to some build guides? I aim to do as much as possible myself before the LBS bend me over for labour costs.

A quick google seems to show it as a 2001 Rockhopper A1 FS Comp Disk

That tells you the original spec, ie bottom bracket and headset sizes. Dont see why you cant build it up using those specs. Get a copy of Park's bike maintenance guide to help.

Would love to get a frame and build it up from scratch, saying that, if the Doc condemns me to no serious cycling, might strip and rebuild the TCR back to its ultegra specs using fleabay.

can you guys recommend me some good cycling shoes and some bib shorts
I'm size 8 in shoe and a medium in the shorts
I'd like the shoes to look nice as well as be comfy.
The ones I've lined up are http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22308
I've had shimano shoes before and they have been good.

I've got about 70 pounds to spend

Thanks

dont buy shoes online!! made that mistake with my road shoes. Bought some nice Specialized BG Road shoes this weekend from a shop, had to get a size 48!! My previous shoes were a 46 and very very tight but i take a 46 sometimes 47 normal shoe.

Bib shorts can be had from many places, wiggle and Pro-bike kit are both good for buying from. Again sizes can be a bit funny. What's a large for one company is an X-large for another and if its made in italy and you need a normal large try an xxxxxxl ;)

can you guys recommend me some good cycling shoes and some bib shorts
I'm size 8 in shoe and a medium in the shorts
I'd like the shoes to look nice as well as be comfy.
The ones I've lined up are http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22308
I've had shimano shoes before and they have been good.

I've got about 70 pounds to spend

Thanks

Are you certain you want SPD's

If not then buy 5.10, do not look for anything else - take my word for it.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18195

Sticks to your pedals like poop to a woollen blanket.
It's literally like being clipped in!

As far as sizes go, Shimano shoes tend to be a little on the small size ( at least the road shoes do, not sure about MTB ones ). I've got a pair of Shimano RO99's and they are excellent, I got 'em chucked in as part of the overall deal for my FP1 along with a pair of Ultegra SPD-SL 6620 pedals.

I am usually a size 42, but the 42's were too tight so had to go up to a size 43 which are perfect.

Like Shoei said, bib shorts can be weird sizes too.

I have a pair of Probike Kit Team PBK bib shorts and they are a size XL, same as my Team PBK winter bib tights. Again, fit is perfect. Then again, the Giordana Team Pinarello bib 3/4 shorts I have are a size Small-Medium and they too are of a perfect fit.

Best to try before you buy when it comes to kit like this, despite the temptation to mail order stuff at a better price than say your local bike shop has. Although you can always nip into an Evans somewhere close, try on the stuff you want remembering what fits best and then Google for the best price when you get home. :p

If not then buy 5.10, do not look for anything else - take my word for it.

I've got a pair of 5 10s, but since my cheaper, comfier old waffle-soled Vans already gave me more than enough grip, they're basically just an expensive irrelevance to me. But ymmv ;) For tricks and big air they do have more merit though. With good spiked pedals, MG1s or V12s or similiar, you just don't need a sticky shoe for most riding IMO, just a sensible flat-soled shoe *. Of all the bits of hype I've fallen for since getting back into mtbing, these were the hypiest and most underwhelming. IMO :D

* I've ridden in steel-toe safety boots on trailbuilding days, and still no drastic shortage of grip as long as you've got decent footwork. I always wonder how many people who're convinced that 5 10s are the best thing since sliced bread are actually making up for technique shortcomings. That's not pointed at you supercow, just a general observation. If you're not weighting your feet right, or letting yourself get kicked off the pedals by bad takeoffs/landings/impacts, then they'd be a godsend I'm sure. Or riding on bad pedals of course. But the whole idea of sticky shoes and spiky pedals just didn't exist when I started riding, and we didn't have any problems then. It probably helps if you learned to ride on rubber-dipped Raleigh pedals wearing your school shoes :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom