*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Associate
So I need to lose a stone from the stomach area.. Today is my last day of alcohol and I'm gona attempt to eat better. I'm pretty active anyway but I'm gona throw in some cardio but happy to hear what people know is the best form of that to burn fat..

I know you can't target fat loss
Visceral fat (the bad fat, one around internal organs) will naturally go first if you give it a chance

1. no alcohol was a good call
I would recommend two more things:
2. reduce added sugar (scary how much of it is in everyday non-dessert products)
3. intermittent fasting (anything from 12/12 to 16/8)

any cardio will be a bonus

Soldato
Sorting the diet will be much more effective than exercise IMO.
I've been eating basically nothing but salad and eggs for the last few days, so much easier when the weathers nice. I'm sure the glass of wine hasn't helped though.

Soldato
I already play golf twice a week and 5 aside football for an hour on a Monday.. So I do enough walking... I'm by no means unfit so gona hammer some running. Walking would be a bit to tame for me..
If you've got a gym membership, get on a treadmill, set the walking speed to brisk, and set the incline quite high. It's not as tame as you might think, you can get your heart rate around 120bpm, and stay there for 40 mins or so. You'll have a sweat on, and you'll hit an aerobic rate where you start to burn calories quicker, saving your joints for Monday night football. For you it might work well as a warm down on a Tuesday after you've played.

Target your diet around your exercise if you can, so save your higher calorie meals for your football day, because if you burn 500 - 600 cals in a game, you'll have an easier time keeping the deficit. On rest days, try to reign it in a bit food-wise, but take in LOADS of water.

The first few weeks are the hardest for your body regulating hunger, but if you keep your fluids high, and try to eat roughly the same amounts at roughly the same times, your body will stop asking for food quite as much.

Welcome aboard mate :cool:

Soldato
This weekend was the first weekend that I found it dead easy to be in calorie deficit, as I don't usually exercise on the weekends, as they're family days.

Two days of football meant I could get loads of exercise in. Was very careful to regulate my food to the right portions at the right times so I still had enough energy to play without going mad.
Massive pie and chips Saturday night, massive chicken roast dinner Sunday night. Weighed in this morning off-schedule and came in at 13st 6, so still losing weight. One of the cheat codes I discovered recently was that if I had a bit of peanut butter with my banana before exercise, I had no blood sugar spike problems, which I was getting with fruit snacks. Really helped with pre-exercise snacks this weekend.

Back at the desk today, so back to reducing calories for sedentary days. I feel like it's really rewarding when I get this stuff right, because I feel so much more in control.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ker-ching! First week over without too much in the way of chocolate craving although I did have the odd thing or five like a hobnob, a Lindor, etc. but only one of each. Result being a loss of 1.7kg which means I’m under 100kg once more. Could be explained by water but last night’s tea was a big portion of garlic bread…

Last edited:
Soldato
I used the whizzy weighing machine at the gym today, and it's given me some mildly confusing, albeit pleasing results. I've stuck them in a spoiler tag because massive images.

I don't really know what all of it means (wtf is a boditrax score, for instance), but there are some fairly arbitrary figures there that can still only mean good things like having a metabolic age of 27 (I'm going to be 41 this year), and being described as "slim muscular" for the first time :D

I'm also interested in it having calculated my BMR at slightly over 2,000 calories, as I'd calculated it at closer to 1,800 base, but 2,200 sedentary, or 2,400 on days I train.

My calorie goal for the last 2 months has been 1,800 calories before exercise and I've been steady losing 1-2lbs a week, so I'm guessing 2,200 might be about right?!

t0ACpz6.jpeg

jpjZbBh.jpeg

EzUDkGI.jpeg

Llu98ec.jpeg

bls5Srn.jpeg

9w2VsoE.jpeg

is1OZXA.jpeg

Soldato
That’s a fancy device!

I’m not in work this week but as of day 2 it’s been reasonable. So far haven’t eaten out. Well had dinner yesterday but only a sandwich and chips.
Not drank too much either and got in a few bike rides.

The two areas for concern are

1 - I’ve found a craft beer place. They do a large fancy of beers which filled me with excitement. Which was shattered as we were in the area yesterday only for it to be shut on a Monday. My wife is insisting we go on Friday. A good DIPA is probably ~350kcal a pint and I anticipate buying a good few cans.

2- for my birthday my parents are taking us to a wine tasting/tapas event. My wife doesn’t drink much so I’ll be drinking for two :D

The main hope is I can continue the cycling. Haven’t done enough the previous two weeks with the mass cleaning needed after moving house and loved it today. Although could’ve used more food/hydration even though it was only 90 minutes.

Soldato
Those events are always going to come around, and you should enjoy them. I think the key for me around those types of things has been making sure that I have deficit days around those particular events. Life's about enjoying your food and drink, and a few cans and a once a year event with your family can be planned around mate!

Soldato
i am a fat f* again put on about 2 stone after keeping it off for 4 years.. diet time :( i wish people would say you fat f* loose some weight...

Soldato
Unfortunately being fat has become normalised here, and you can't go upsetting anyone.
That's not a good thing IMO. Obesity rates are through the roof.
i would welcome people telling me "hay, you looking fat maybe consider a diet" as stupid as it sounds i dont even notice it until im up several stone

Soldato
Minor update from me today: In at 13st 6lbs, waist to height is now 0.48, and I had a finger-pr1ck cholesterol test, which has come back as healthy. Prior to starting all this in March, cholesterol was high, waist was 0.53.

Had a celebratory Greggs caramel custard doughnut and a chicken mayo salad sub for lunch. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Birth of my second child last July put a stop in the near term to any proper bike riding for me... long sessions on the bike are just a little bit too selfish in regards to leaving my wife with the kids - running is much easier for that (or will be until I start marathon training next year!).

Interestingly the last time I was on my road bike I was 107.6KG with an FTP of around 250w based on TrainerRoad Ramp Test / AI Prediction - last session was a local 105km event where I done 172w normalised power for just over 5 hours.

I wonder how the bike would feel 13+ KG lighter... May need to get it sorted and out into the hills for a little bit

Soldato
Birth of my second child last July put a stop in the near term to any proper bike riding for me... long sessions on the bike are just a little bit too selfish in regards to leaving my wife with the kids - running is much easier for that (or will be until I start marathon training next year!).

Interestingly the last time I was on my road bike I was 107.6KG with an FTP of around 250w based on TrainerRoad Ramp Test / AI Prediction - last session was a local 105km event where I done 172w normalised power for just over 5 hours.

I wonder how the bike would feel 13+ KG lighter... May need to get it sorted and out into the hills for a little bit

Having lost around 10kg I can highly recommend getting on the bike again!

Soldato

have to remember that with loss of weight comes loss of power ;)

but not always ofc !!
defo will be lighter to cycle :)

Soldato
@tom_nieto got my beers. Some absolute belting DIPAs and Sour IPAs. How I’ve missed this stuff.

Was pretty restrained but got a few to bring home. Now I know about the shop and it’s only 35 mins away I didn’t feel the need to get carried away.

Food wasn’t too bad. 2 chicken wings, 1 short rib, 1 slider burger and half a small portion of loaded wedges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom