*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

******* hell.

What if I squeeze an actual orange and drink that?

In comparison, per 100ml, quick google search

Orange Juice 47cal
Apple Juice 47cal
Pineapple Juice 60cal
Cranberry Juice 51 cal
Grapefruit 41 cal
Coke 42cal

I find 50/50 ratio for Pineapple with water plenty enough for sweetness and taste, so now you just halved it. Or, if you don't mind artificial sweetener, mix it with diet lemonade or something, then you can even dilute it further to like 1:3, 1 part Pineapple, and 3 part lemonade.

If you do some quick maths.

60 calories per 100ml, that is 600 cal per litre.

3500 calories = 1 lb of fat.

Meaning just about 6 Litres of Pineapple juice = 1 lb of fat.

You were on 3 cartons a week, and if everything stays the same in your life and you were maintaining your weight then just cutting out pineapple juice can lose 1 lb after 2 weeks. (on paper)

Last edited:
I appreciate understanding your body composition is interesting, but surely the mirror and your belt buckle gives you all the information that you need over and above normal scales? £400 plus a subscription?! I guess throwing money at a problem is one way of making us feel like we’re addressing it!

Gail’s bakery in Euston did themselves out of a sale today - 777kcal for an almond and chocolate croissant!! I had already bought a wicked peanut M&M brownie from a stall outside Euston station :D

Fruit juice makes beer seem like good value calorie wise!

I appreciate understanding your body composition is interesting, but surely the mirror and your belt buckle gives you all the information that you need over and above normal scales? £400 plus a subscription?! I guess throwing money at a problem is one way of making us feel like we’re addressing it!

Gail’s bakery in Euston did themselves out of a sale today - 777kcal for an almond and chocolate croissant!! I had already bought a wicked peanut M&M brownie from a stall outside Euston station :D

Fruit juice makes beer seem like good value calorie wise!

The same size almond vs chocolate croissants, I find that the almond one always have like 30% more calories!

I suspect this one is at LEAST 600 cal, perhaps even 800. It weighed as much as a proper sandwich. It has an almond sugar paste with chocolate and almond flakes on top and layered.

Ah0Hjko.jpg

Last edited:
Noooo, fruit juice like OJ is like drinking full fat coke. There is actually more calories per 100ml in OJ than Coke.

If you must, drink it with bits, at least there is more fibre. Eating whole fruit is different, the fibre is what counts and a whole orange will get you perhaps 100ml of juice anyway and nobody sits down and eat 3 oranges in 1 go, but easily can drink 300ml of OJ quite easily.

If you love Pineapple, I suggest getting a fresh one, cut it all up then freeze it. Each 1 piece at a time during the summer, it is fantastic. Like a lollipop. I remember buying these in Hong Kong as street food as a kid on a stick.
Yea I use to peel 2 or 3 small oranges and then put them in a blender with a bit of water and drink it after. Is that OK?

If i can throw a gadget into the mix then i'm all over it!

The Body Comp is €160ish which seems more acceptable

If i can throw a gadget into the mix then i'm all over it!

The Body Comp is €160ish which seems more acceptable

I have a Withings scale, not the full body scanner, but does weight, heart rate, fat percentage (body composition). It was like £80 when I got it.

The app shows more stats which it pulls from the phone, and Apple Watch, so it shows sleep quality and stuff. I don't look at it for that, everything gets collated in the Health app anyway so I just use the health app which pulls all the stats together.

Last edited:
The same size almond vs chocolate croissants, I find that the almond one always have like 30% more calories!

I suspect this one is at LEAST 600 cal, perhaps even 800. It weighed as much as a proper sandwich. It has an almond sugar paste with chocolate and almond flakes on top and layered.

Ah0Hjko.jpg

I’m Gail’s you don’t have to choose… it was almond AND chocolate!

Decided to have a go at loosing weight properly.
15 stone 7, and a 38” waist. Keen to get to 14 kilos but mainly keen to get to a 32/34” waist. I’ve cut out all snacks, eating much healthier lunches and whilst I’ve always eaten good dinners the portion sizes are massive.
Cut down on booze, won’t quit it, but definitely cut down a huge amount.
Also, going to BodyPump twice a week and a swim once a week.
I’m enjoying it, and I enjoy the exercise class. I’m a bit intimidated to just go to the gym but the class is good.

Would it be better to skip the class and just do weights and machine at the gym?

Hopefully writing this out keeps me on track!

Decided to have a go at loosing weight properly.
15 stone 7, and a 38” waist. Keen to get to 14 kilos but mainly keen to get to a 32/34” waist. I’ve cut out all snacks, eating much healthier lunches and whilst I’ve always eaten good dinners the portion sizes are massive.
Cut down on booze, won’t quit it, but definitely cut down a huge amount.
Also, going to BodyPump twice a week and a swim once a week.
I’m enjoying it, and I enjoy the exercise class. I’m a bit intimidated to just go to the gym but the class is good.

Would it be better to skip the class and just do weights and machine at the gym?

Hopefully writing this out keeps me on track!

The biggest effect on weight loss is less calories in. I would combine lower calorie with weights, so the weight loss is from fat and not muscles.

I think it makes sense to do whichever you prefer and would stick to.

You’ll likely burn more in the class and doing cardio is good for calories and general health.
Yea, this makes sense. I’ll keep going to the classes and making my exclusive female class mates feel even older than they are!

Yea, this makes sense. I’ll keep going to the classes and making my exclusive female class mates feel even older than they are!
If your gym offers a free personal trainer taster session for the weights and machines I'd definitely recommend it; it can be daunting at first but some sort of resistance training is good as increased muscle mass allows you to eat more calories and still be in a deficit (or at the very least maintain the lean mass you have and not see your maintenance calories drop substantially as you lose weight).

If your gym offers a free personal trainer taster session for the weights and machines I'd definitely recommend it; it can be daunting at first but some sort of resistance training is good as increased muscle mass allows you to eat more calories and still be in a deficit (or at the very least maintain the lean mass you have and not see your maintenance calories drop substantially as you lose weight).

That's a good shout too. Although given Body Pump still uses weights it should still work as a method of increasing muscle mass.

The biggest effect on weight loss is less calories in. I would combine lower calorie with weights, so the weight loss is from fat and not muscles.
there will be a loss of muscle and can be significant.
noticed myself in my process.
strenght can be rebuilt and muscles will adapt
took me few months to go back to same weights in gym, and then go even further :)

I've been prioritising cardio rather than weights for a few weeks now, seems to be more effective for me. I don't mind getting skinny fat then building up muscle again.
It's a bit miserable sweating away on the treadmill for an hour though whilst everyone else is just staring at their phones in between sets. :mad:

I've been prioritising cardio rather than weights for a few weeks now, seems to be more effective for me. I don't mind getting skinny fat then building up muscle again.
It's a bit miserable sweating away on the treadmill for an hour though whilst everyone else is just staring at their phones in between sets. :mad:

Any form of indoor cardio is just mind numbing though. I could happily run 50 miles outside, but put me on a treadmill and i'm done after a mile!

That's a good shout too. Although given Body Pump still uses weights it should still work as a method of increasing muscle mass.
I'm a little uneasy about Body Pump, mixing cardio with weights seems like a recipe for injury - although to be fair I did injure myself slightly doing some single arm rows recently.

Back
Top Bottom