*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Coming up to the end of week 7 - down 3.5kg and probably due another drop shortly although I underslept all last week and feel like I held more water. So far down 3.5cm on the chesticle circumference, 4.5cm on the narrowest part of the waist, 5cm on navel and 3cm on the lower abdomen and no longer look sloppy. Hips down 3.5cm as well. Arms looking vascular now but still waiting for the ab veins to make an appearance. Managed to not lose any strength so far other than a rep or so on flat bench… incline still holding up just about though!

Last edited:
Soldato
Came in to say that I did a cycle today. Strava has told me I must eat 2000 kcal otherwise the wheels will fall of my bike.

In all seriousness I do need to get leaner (don’t make me look at the 2024 goals thread :(), but today was the first time in a long while that it felt like I had some gas in the tank. It was baking hot and yet once I’d warmed up I think I could have done another hour. 1:40 for 27.7 miles at 16.5 mph average is my best effort for a long time. Sure, I’m a couple of kg above where I’d like to be, but fitness seems decent… probably because I’m not in a huge deficit. Got to make more effort this summer!

Soldato
Came in to say that I did a cycle today. Strava has told me I must eat 2000 kcal otherwise the wheels will fall of my bike.

In all seriousness I do need to get leaner (don’t make me look at the 2024 goals thread :(), but today was the first time in a long while that it felt like I had some gas in the tank. It was baking hot and yet once I’d warmed up I think I could have done another hour. 1:40 for 27.7 miles at 16.5 mph average is my best effort for a long time. Sure, I’m a couple of kg above where I’d like to be, but fitness seems decent… probably because I’m not in a huge deficit. Got to make more effort this summer!

Yeah. This is similar to me. I was out for just over 100km with around 1100m elevation which was both my longest and hilliest ride and whilst feeling a bit tired at the end I could’ve carried on a while.

So whilst if you read my posts in here everything is disappointing (today was 104.7kg!) my actual fitness is building pretty well and Strava is showing a few PBs for power outputs and segments even though it felt an easy ride in zone 2 generally.

Soldato
That’s the crazy thing isn’t it and it’s probably similar to @tom_nieto

Yesterday Strava says I burned 3000kcal which makes you think I’ll be skinny in no time!

However adding in a larger breakfast preside ~400kcal, some carb drinks during the ride ~400kcal and other snacks during the ride and then food when I got home to aid recovery I probably didn’t have quite the deficit you actually think you will.

So when training for things and trying to eat properly for best performance and recovery you end up being close to equal.

Especially as you’re body then craves food all day afterwards and you give in and go to the local Irish bar and have a huge doner meat pizza…..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So when training for things and trying to eat properly for best performance and recovery you end up being close to equal.
It's certainly a tough balance, but once it becomes routine I don't think I eat that much more. If I ride 50 miles and burn maybe 2,500 cals, often I only eat about 400 cals more than I would on a day I don't ride. Sometimes I do get super hungry and I might have one or two extra protein bars throughout the day, but it's still going to be a 1,200 to 1,600 deficit.

If I just go out for a 20 mile blast, my diet wouldn't change at all, so just burn 800 to 1,000 and not eat anything extra.

Soldato
I'm obviously just greedy though, i guess that's the benefit you have of building up a better endurance base. I'm also trying to be quite strict on eating a lot to build routine on that side so when i grow activity time to 10+ hours i'm already used to eating regularly.

I probably worked out i consued around 1500kcal just during the ride! Although this was including a coffee and Tostada break which i don't usually do but felt a little weak as i'd missed tea the night before after a big lunch.

Soldato
It’s a chastening reminder that I lost a whole bunch of weight by really focusing on diet, not by trying to increase exercise. I just need a couple of good weeks and I’ll be back on it. Problem is all those nice summer events!

@Martynt74 - I was 100% motivated to cycle because I wanted to enjoy a pub dinner!

Last edited:
Soldato
My biggest calorie deficit days are when I play football on Wednesdays. I have a careful day as I do most weekdays, then have a normal dinner, and if I feel hungry I might have a weetabix before I go, but the games are 8-9pm, so by the time I get home I'm comfortably in deficit and then go straight to bed so I don't ruin it :D

Soldato
Hi, Not posted in this thread before but I want to lose some weight and need some sort of accountability.

A few years back, with the support of people at work - we had our own 'fat club' and weighed in together every week - I managed to lose 6 stone and start running. Since then I have stopped running, and done a lot of eating and gained back pretty much all of the weight - being comfortable in a relationship was a big part of this.

Last May I hit a peak of 132kg (sorry for the mixed units...lol) but started weighing in and logging my food by November I had got down to 109kg with very little actual effort and no exercise. Then my partner ended our relationship, which completely broke me. Lots of comfort eating later and I'm currently sitting at 117.6kg but I'm feeling a little bit more myself and I want to get back to weight loss...partially because I have a dance weekender booked in for November and I want to lose as much as I can before ten (150 days away from today)

On the exercise front I have gone back to dancing, which I try to do at least once a week, and in time I want to get myself back to running. Right now, my focus is my food and getting myself logging it again (I use mynetdiary) as I know it helps me hugely.

Anyway, just posting in here in the hope that I can get some support and some pressure from people to post regularly and stay on top on my food and increasing my exercise. :)

Associate
I'm finding it a lot easier to stick to my calories in the hot weather, all I've been wanting is ice cold water and iced black coffee.

I've switched from Fitbit to Garmin to monitor my steps etc. (the pixel watch's battery life was terrible) and noticed that the estimated calories burnt is a lot lower than Fitbit. For example, I've done 10k steps at a decent pace and a workout today and burnt 3500 calories whereas I'd usually be at about 4000 for a similar day on the Fitbit app.

Soldato
1 hour of very intense football for me is absolute max 750 cals. i did just shy of 20,000 steps yesterday plus some weights stuff, and still only managed 606 calories burned.

Soldato
OP
Well, I was assuming that was a daily target, rather than the total burnt in the two activities. If his BMR said he burns 2,300 a day for example, then I guess 1,200 isn't too crazy over 10k steps and a workout, if they workout includes some cardio too.

Back
Top Bottom