*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Associate
Ah yeah sorry, that includes a BMR estimate of about 2,300 (edited to update Garmin's BMR rather than the calculator I use) and my workout included 15 minutes of cardio before moving on to back and biceps.

Last edited:
Soldato
Swam 2k today. I need to somehow reframe my diet as I keep beating myself up about it. I’m enjoying food, maintaining my weight rather than gaining and seem to have decent energy levels and fitness.

My goal however is to drop body fat and to do that I’ll need to drop 4-7kg. I don’t want to over promise, but I’ve done it before!

Associate
Swam 2k today. I need to somehow reframe my diet as I keep beating myself up about it. I’m enjoying food, maintaining my weight rather than gaining and seem to have decent energy levels and fitness.

My goal however is to drop body fat and to do that I’ll need to drop 4-7kg. I don’t want to over promise, but I’ve done it before!

Are you measuring anything else to check if you're losing body fat?

Soldato
Are you measuring anything else to check if you're losing body fat?

Mostly looking in the mirror, don’t have posh scales. Can track it a bit with belt tightness too, although that’s got a lot of variability.

I don’t want to make light of @Raymond Lin ‘s affliction (and I hope you get better soon!), but I ate 5 day old rice today so thoughts and prayers :(

Soldato
Superb mindset.

We've got guests and my scales are in the bathroom used for guests rather than the en-suite. Since my mother in law and stepdaughter definitely do not need me wandering around naked first thing in the morning, i've not weighed myself since Monday.
Need to get them for this monday as i always like to catch the 1st of the month.

Associate
I've been listening to Steve Bartlett's book The Diary of a CEO and reached a bit where he mentions substituting the reward from a habit loop rather than trying to break the habit outright - has anyone had any success with this?

I guess I've always eaten dessert after dinner as a treat for the day, I still do but I've swapped Ben & Jerries, biscuits and chocolate bars for fruit or home made ice cream.

Caporegime
I've been listening to Steve Bartlett's book The Diary of a CEO and reached a bit where he mentions substituting the reward from a habit loop rather than trying to break the habit outright - has anyone had any success with this?

I guess I've always eaten dessert after dinner as a treat for the day, I still do but I've swapped Ben & Jerries, biscuits and chocolate bars for fruit or home made ice cream.

For me....just cut out the reward part, not completely, but most days. Reward for what? If the aim is to lose weight then the reward should be when we hit a weight goal, say every 5kg, enough space apart.

It's fine to have something "bad" after a bad day, but if that becomes an excuse then the weight will never come off. If you MUST have desserts everyday because that is one habit that you cannot break then replacement would be needed. Using homemade ice cream is just as bad though, unless you don't put sugar in it, and only make it out of skimmed milk or something.

I have been eating Magnums recently, but I only eat half and then put the other half back in the freezer. Instantly halved the calories. Portion size and calories is key.

Associate
For me....just cut out the reward part, not completely, but most days. Reward for what? If the aim is to lose weight then the reward should be when we hit a weight goal, say every 5kg, enough space apart.

It's fine to have something "bad" after a bad day, but if that becomes an excuse then the weight will never come off. If you MUST have desserts everyday because that is one habit that you cannot break then replacement would be needed. Using homemade ice cream is just as bad though, unless you don't put sugar in it, and only make it out of skimmed milk or something.

I have been eating Magnums recently, but I only eat half and then put the other half back in the freezer. Instantly halved the calories. Portion size and calories is key.

So reward in this aspect is the outcome of a habit rather than necessarily thinking of it as a reward - say for example if you grab a coffee on the way to work each morning you replace it with a black coffee or water.

My ice cream is fruit and protein powder, although recently I've just been eating frozen fruit.

Caporegime
So reward in this aspect is the outcome of a habit rather than necessarily thinking of it as a reward - say for example if you grab a coffee on the way to work each morning you replace it with a black coffee or water.

My ice cream is fruit and protein powder, although recently I've just been eating frozen fruit.

Everyone is different and my take on it is that going cold turkey doesn't work. It is fine to have the same thing as before otherwise we will go insane. The key is the quantity.

If you enjoy the replacements and working for you then that's fine. If not then just eat less of it, less frequently.

I see the reward part as a task well done and in this instance, the task is to lose weight. But yes, I have switched my coffee order last week too due to the difference in calories.

Soldato
Today is the first day of my diet. I'm currently 200lbs and 5' 10". My new diet is just water to drink and then a couple of pasta salads food wise. I'm also looking at getting an exercise bike as I basically do no exercise at all.

Can anyone recommend an exercise bike? I don't have much money but if I'm going to buy one I want to get a good one. If anyone has any other tips let me know!

Back
Top Bottom