*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

No worries - Anywhere you can think of that's good to take the kids? (While I've got you, quick before the mods see :D )

You gonna have a car?

Bit of a trek but the Dinopark at Altea is pretty cool looking and near some brilliant waterfalls (Font Algar)

The Safari at Elche is decent enough too

Beyond those i'm pretty limited because i don't have kids :D

You gonna have a car?

Bit of a trek but the Dinopark at Altea is pretty cool looking and near some brilliant waterfalls (Font Algar)

The Safari at Elche is decent enough too

Beyond those i'm pretty limited because i don't have kids :D
Yeah we'll have a hire car. That's perfect, cheers! Will break up the continuity of the beach / pool days a bit and hopefully tire the kids out!

Not in a week, much more likely that you are holding less water due to using the muscle less, or you actually spent more time moving around on average over each day and keeping your diet relatively clean put you in a deficit.
Yeah, probably right on water retention.

Come bring them into the countryside and we'll wipe them out in the hills :D

If you're temped by more walking then this is pretty cool

Plenty of old hideouts from bandits etc which is cool. Presumably the kids are a bit young but the Guy Ritchie film the Covenant was filmed around here.

Last edited:
Come bring them into the countryside and we'll wipe them out in the hills :D
Thanks for that! They're actually very savvy about not wasting their energy on 'constructive things' :D

That Dino Park looks right up their alley and is really quite close and doesn't cost the earth so we'll give that a shot for sure.

I've always quite enjoyed Spanish food like tapas etc, and preferred it to Greek, for instance.

When we go away to places like this, the kids tend to be a bit picky, and we end up defaulting to English varieties to avoid conflict because we're meant to be on holiday too, but it reduces culinary creativity somewhat.

Haha clever kids!

I'd probably suggest Villajoyosa too. Nothing particularly to "do" but it's a very pretty town. Trying to gauge based on your post whether it's your own apartment and you know the area a bit or you're renting. It sounds like the former!

Haha clever kids!

I'd probably suggest Villajoyosa too. Nothing particularly to "do" but it's a very pretty town. Trying to gauge based on your post whether it's your own apartment and you know the area a bit or you're renting. It sounds like the former!
It's my step dad's place. I've been going out there for probably about 15 years on and off so know the area relatively well, but haven't gone much further afield than Benidorm northwards or Cartagena southwards, so all recommendations are very very welcome. The La Zenia shopping centre's a frequent visit, along with Torrevieja, and my other half loves Lo Pagan because there's zero current, flamingos to look at, and it's extremely safe for the kids to paddle.

I am 100% on board with Villajoyosa too, since the first thing I saw on the map was "chocolate museum" :D

It's my step dad's place. I've been going out there for probably about 15 years on and off so know the area relatively well, but haven't gone much further afield than Benidorm northwards or Cartagena southwards, so all recommendations are very very welcome. The La Zenia shopping centre's a frequent visit, along with Torrevieja, and my other half loves Lo Pagan because there's zero current, flamingos to look at, and it's extremely safe for the kids to paddle.

I am 100% on board with Villajoyosa too, since the first thing I saw on the map was "chocolate museum" :D

Haha you might have noticed my post about chocolate in this thread where i bought some fancy stuff which was super heavy and dense. That was from there!

Will ask a few friends for advice on places too. Busot/Xixona are both nice mountain towns too (Nougat musuem in Xixona!), but for the journey not sure it's worth a trip especially from your end, although maybe to tag onto another journey. The bonus for you is that the AP-7 motorway tolls have been scrapped going northwards :)

Rojales is nice too and not far. One of the few places you can get craft beer in Spain (Triple Brew bar/brewery) with excellent food too

One thing we keep meaning to do is a boat trip to Tabarca but not got round to it yet.

Zone sixed myself in spin class today. Absolutely wiped out! Definitely in a deficit which isn’t helping, but overall power and fitness is the best it’s been for a while. 2 weeks annual leave coming up which might undo the good work, but need to take the positives that the last 2 weeks have brought.

Haha you might have noticed my post about chocolate in this thread where i bought some fancy stuff which was super heavy and dense. That was from there!

Will ask a few friends for advice on places too. Busot/Xixona are both nice mountain towns too (Nougat musuem in Xixona!), but for the journey not sure it's worth a trip especially from your end, although maybe to tag onto another journey. The bonus for you is that the AP-7 motorway tolls have been scrapped going northwards :)

Rojales is nice too and not far. One of the few places you can get craft beer in Spain (Triple Brew bar/brewery) with excellent food too

One thing we keep meaning to do is a boat trip to Tabarca but not got round to it yet.
The kids are desperate for a boat trip, so that's a good shout as well. Thanks for the tips, I've been there so many times I ended up visiting the same places and not really working out any new ones to explore. :)

I lost a massive 7st in 9 months, pretty much a third of my bodyweight. I almost certainly lost it too fast, but for some reason with careful eating it just fell off me, I am now left with a primordial pouch of loose skin and blubber lower part of my abdomen. Have tried marine collagen supplements, and it doesn't seem to want to budge, am 57 so have lost a lot of my skin's elasticity. Any suggestions more helpful than my pharmacist's solution of going under the knife?

Not directly weight loss, but getting to a certain age, I had my bloods done and got the health check phone call yesterday. The Dr said something along the lines of "these phone calls can sometimes take quite a while as we go through what you need to improve... but everything is below average, so well done... bye". I mean, not quite that simple, but not far off. It makes me wish I'd had it done before I started 5 years back so I had a comparison to before I was this fit and healthy.

Yeah, that does sound like a decent plan to try and get them done maybe each year. I don't think they're that expensive are they? Like £100?

Weight still stagnent for me at 103.8kg, but i've been pretty decent with MFP and regularly hitting around the 1500kcal/day goal so was expecting some drop from last Monday. Have cut down booze too so hoping it's just one of those occasions where you step on the scales one day and it's suddenly dropped a chunk.

What's also been interesting is just how badly my watch is telling me i feel! My last 2 bike rides (yesterday and this morning) have said my expected rating is -5. This probably goes hand in hand with feeling pretty tired and i think a big chunk is now the constant heat. My office never drops below 32C and peaks around 38C, and so spending ~8hours a day in here, then going outside in >30c conditions and sitting on the sofa watching tv in the lounge which is probably ~28c probably is taking a chunk of effort from my body.
The bedroom is then also ~28c so not getting the sleep recovery i usually would. My wife runs the A/C for an hour or so a few times in the night, but as soon as it goes off the temp jumps up and neither of us really like the dryness of running it constantly.

Last edited:
Yeah, that does sound like a decent plan to try and get them done maybe each year. I don't think they're that expensive are they? Like £100?

Weight still stagnent for me at 103.8kg, but i've been pretty decent with MFP and regularly hitting around the 1500kcal/day goal so was expecting some drop from last Monday. Have cut down booze too so hoping it's just one of those occasions where you step on the scales one day and it's suddenly dropped a chunk.

What's also been interesting is just how badly my watch is telling me i feel! My last 2 bike rides (yesterday and this morning) have said my expected rating is -5. This probably goes hand in hand with feeling pretty tired and i think a big chunk is now the constant heat. My office never drops below 32C and peaks around 38C, and so spending ~8hours a day in here, then going outside in >30c conditions and sitting on the sofa watching tv in the lounge which is probably ~28c probably is taking a chunk of effort from my body.
The bedroom is then also ~28c so not getting the sleep recovery i usually would. My wife runs the A/C for an hour or so a few times in the night, but as soon as it goes off the temp jumps up and neither of us really like the dryness of running it constantly.
Is that 1500 cals target not factoring in exercise etc? Because 1500 cals is low especially for a chap your size (talking height not just weight) and for the amount of activity you do. Personally ive been cutting again on around the 2k cals mark. My target is set at 1500 with zero activity so i eat back a reasonable amount of what i burn during exercise and im down around 7kg in the last 8-9 weeks.

Also if your watch is a garmin, mine is as well, i take its performance measure with a pinch of salt. I went for a long time where every session was +1-6. Then i had a couple of quieter weeks on the bike and only a couple of sessions were negative on the performance measure. Now again every session for the last couple of weeks has been +1-6 or more even! I dont feel like im constantly improving thats for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom