*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Well, the all inclusive holiday has had the expected effect on my headline weight. Especially pleased that I focused myself for a couple of weeks beforehand as I’ll be able to get back into eating normally with relative ease (I hope!). Big push through August and I’ll be on the right track.

Good luck. I'm around 1kg down for July at 102.8kg which isn't ideal. I keep telling myself i need to make the next month count. Under 100kg by the end of August would be nice, and it's a realistic target. Just need to work out how mentally i kick my brain into gear as i have had the same target (under 100kg) for multiple months now.

Good luck. I'm around 1kg down for July at 102.8kg which isn't ideal. I keep telling myself i need to make the next month count. Under 100kg by the end of August would be nice, and it's a realistic target. Just need to work out how mentally i kick my brain into gear as i have had the same target (under 100kg) for multiple months now.
Small steps add up. I've found writing EVERYTHING down on a notepad that sits in front of me all day is helping a lot. I just write the cals and protein numbers next to what I've eaten, as that's what I'm concentrating on.

Last edited:
Small steps add up. I've found writing EVERYTHING down on a notepad that sits in front of me all day is helping a lot. I just write the cals and protein numbers next to what I've eaten, as that's what I'm concentrating on.

Yeah, as above the main issues i have are

1 - Laziness when it comes to weighing every tiny item
2 - Generally very little i eat is packaged. Meat generally comes from butcher counter, especially salami etc and bread from the bakery so no weights/nutritional info to gauge it off.
3 - We eat out quite a bit now, and even choosing healthy food can result in lots of oil etc

I'm pretty good at recording anything with a barcode but the rest just gets guessed at. As above with the chorizo, i've never weighed it before and turns out i was probably off by around 200kcal, so i'll just re-adjust portion size of it and continue to guesstimate.

On the plus side. Was at the hospital with the wife, she got McDonalds on the way home and i resisted :)

Did a 45 mile cycle today (2h40m). Lost my legs after 40 miles, but hour 2 felt good. Even Noom thinks I could still have up to 4000 kcal today :eek:

Need to continue with hour long cycles in the gym as it’s done my actual cycling the world of good.

What are people's "go to" meals that you have regulary?
The hardest part about weight loss for me is constantly finding decent meals where I can easily track calories, simple to cook but still fairly tasty. It's a bit of a holy grail I know but I think if I can find 2 or 3 meals that work for me then I can stick to it for longer.

I know there's a bunch of stuff online but nearly everything is either a massive ball ache to prep or something I just don't fancy.
Would be interested to hear what works for you guys.

I’m a fan of Carbonara. If you cook it the traditional way, then it’s just pasta, egg, pancetta and some cheese. Not massively calorie deficient but only takes ~10 mins to cook.

The other stuff would be the likes of chilli/bolognaise. Just have to be good with portion control and freeze the rest so you have quick teas on hand.

Been going to the gym since January, mainly on the machines and dumbells. Thought I'd try a free lesson with a personal trainer and am now broken but with luck a few grammes lighter. :p

Relief for me today, I had a routine blood test highly expecting to be told I was diabetic or pre-diabetic at least. But nope, still under that magic 40 number so it looks like my running has been offsetting the 100g of chocolate I scoff daily.

@spengos - I find batch cooking a chicken curry or a chilli con carne and serving with a weighed out portion of brown rice to be quite effective. If I freeze it in portions it’s all ready to go in minutes and I know what’s gone into it.

@Martynt74 - I love carbonara, but my recipe uses double cream so it’s not great for me :cry:

Last edited:
@spengos - I find batch cooking a chicken curry or a chilli con carne and serving with a weighed out portion of brown rice to be quite effective. If I freeze it in portions it’s all ready to go in minutes and I know what’s gone into it.

@Martynt74 - I love carbonara, but my recipe uses double cream so it’s not great for me :cry:

Give the non cream version a go. I much prefer it.

I do sometimes cut down the eggs though as I find sometimes it can be a bit eggy if you don’t get it just right.

Going to be an interesting weekend. We’ve got friends visiting which means a higher chance of food/drink but annoyingly means no chance to get out for exercise.

Had hoped to get up early today but I always wake up a few times in the night due to the heat and sleep terribly so I end up cancelling the alarm before it’s even time to get up!

Yeah, as above the main issues i have are

1 - Laziness when it comes to weighing every tiny item
2 - Generally very little i eat is packaged. Meat generally comes from butcher counter, especially salami etc and bread from the bakery so no weights/nutritional info to gauge it off.
3 - We eat out quite a bit now, and even choosing healthy food can result in lots of oil etc

I'm pretty good at recording anything with a barcode but the rest just gets guessed at. As above with the chorizo, i've never weighed it before and turns out i was probably off by around 200kcal, so i'll just re-adjust portion size of it and continue to guesstimate.

On the plus side. Was at the hospital with the wife, she got McDonalds on the way home and i resisted :)

Gonna sound like a real moaner but you need a kick in the butt. All 3 of your "main issues" are really terrible petty excuses.

1) even if you dont weigh, estimate and track. Once you've weighed 15g of something a few times you really should have an idea of what it looks like. If you really dont want to weigh then over estimate.
2) again total BS, bread is bread, meat is meat, you can search for many many hundreds of items and use an estimate of weight or even better if at home you can weigh it!
3) account for this, use sensible estimates, you know you arent getting salads with 200ml of oil on them so you can sensibly track a 25ml splash or even 50ml splash.

You know what you need to do my friend as you have done it before, just be tough on your self. Its crazy how you are lazy enough to not track intake when that will only take you minutes over a whole day, yet you will go on ultra hikes and bike rides!

I did make lazy my first one :p

With salads it was more the other stuff - The other week i had a foie salad. Absolutely no idea what was even in that with weight etc. So i end up just guessing.

I do thinking the last 2 weeks i've been better at overestimating kcal and it shows as the weight has come down even though activity is lower. I've been stricter on MFP generally too and even if i don't fill it out one day, i try and re-create it the next. Course i'll miss bits, but at least it gets relatively consistent. This was what led me to spot the massive variance in calories in the Chorizo.
There's a slight butt kick that's happened and i'm feeling a little positive.

Although could also be that it's 38C and i'm just sweating calories!

Last edited:
Give the non cream version a go. I much prefer it.

I do sometimes cut down the eggs though as I find sometimes it can be a bit eggy if you don’t get it just right.
Anything with pancetta, garlic and pecorino is going to be delicious! Worth a try!

Got another cycle in today. Only 23 odd miles but good average speed (17.1mph). Over 100km this week on the bike which is a nice number (although cheating switching to metric :p)

I’m a fan of Carbonara. If you cook it the traditional way, then it’s just pasta, egg, pancetta and some cheese. Not massively calorie deficient but only takes ~10 mins to cook.

The other stuff would be the likes of chilli/bolognaise. Just have to be good with portion control and freeze the rest so you have quick teas on hand.
Definitely no pancetta in traditional carbonara.

Back
Top Bottom