Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Byron again for lunch today, going to try the Ronaldo burger before they replace it with a burger with mozzarella, basil and tomato and call it the Suarez burger.

Edit: Ronanldo burger was pretty nice, feel stuffed,

Last edited:
Associate
Went to this pub in Reading on Friday and had this Gourmet burger and a beer for £10
Basically its a beer and a burger for £10.00

<pic>

S'why I'm not keen on pub burgers personally - I find pattys like that way too thick.

For me a good burger is about the taste combination of everything in the burger rather than feeling I've gotta work my way through a massive block of minced beef with a bit of bread and limp lettuce around it.

Associate
Those chips, not sure about them. Overcooked and greasy by the looks of things. :eek:

Burger looks OK, but how juicy was it?

Agreed chips were of a lower quality.

Burger was ok it was not dry quite moist really. I'm not saying it was the worlds best burger but only that i went there to eat:D

Soldato
Red dog saloon is where I have have my nicest and largest burgers respectively, although it can be a bit hit and miss.

I work around the corner from Red Dog Hoxton and I've been there 3 times.
I find it pretty rubbish tbh, the burgers are sloppily put together and also the meat isn't very nice.

Also a few of the people from my work have seen how they keep the meat stored and it's not the best. They've seen the burgers being left outside in the sun on hot days!

Byrons round the corner have been nicer, but Meat Mission is delicious

Soldato
Went to see Coldplay at the Royal Albert Hall yesterday (great concert), and decided to pop into Byron Burger opposite Gloucester Road station beforehand. My only previous experience of Byron was of very oily onion rings and an OK burger.
Yesterday I went with their World Cup special; The Ronaldo, along with onion rings, fries, and slaw.

uc

The fries were nice and crunchy, and the onion rings were quite good, not too oily like last time. They had a good crunch and the batter was tasty.
The burger consisted of 2 6oz patty's, buttered onions, crispy onions, American cheese, crispy bacon, pickles, ketchup and mustard, all in a plain white bap. Although there is cutlery in the pic, I don't cut it :mad:, I always pick up the burger :D, and this burger held together really well. There was very little spillage which was good :). It tasted nice, I mean you can't really go wrong with a bacon and cheese burger, although the buttered onions were a bit lost alongside the other flavours. What was disappointing was a severe lack of juiciness and not a great deal of flavour from the patty's :(.

Overall, it was good but it wasn't close to one from Patty & Bun or Honest Burger, and for me, I don't think that there is a lot of difference between Byron and GBK.

I was going to give Five Guys in Guildford a try, but with all the negative comments here, I may give it a miss.

Last edited:
Soldato
I work around the corner from Red Dog Hoxton and I've been there 3 times.
I find it pretty rubbish tbh, the burgers are sloppily put together and also the meat isn't very nice.

Also a few of the people from my work have seen how they keep the meat stored and it's not the best. They've seen the burgers being left outside in the sun on hot days!

Byrons round the corner have been nicer, but Meat Mission is delicious

Had a burger at meat mission last week and can confirm it was lovely. Wasn't impressed that we didn't get plates though :p

Soldato
I was going to give Five Guys in Guildford a try, but with all the negative comments here, I may give it a miss.

Blimey, I advise you try for yourself.

I think Five Guys fries are probably one of the best fries ive had, others on here call them "bland" so meh.

TWOOO? 6oz patties? that's not a good meat to 'rest of ingredients' imo :)

Bristol.

Burger Joint.

/thread

:p

Yea I've been there, wasnt bad at all, if memory serves the fries were real chunky and tasty.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Blimey, I advise you try for yourself.

I think Five Guys fries are probably one of the best fries ive had, others on here call them "bland" so meh.

TWOOO? 6oz patties? that's not a good meat to 'rest of ingredients' imo :)

I don't think its too bad - probably on par with GBK (man thats gone down hill from when I used to go the the one in richmond in 2007...) Worth a visit and probably the best burger your going to get in guildford im afraid. Its just that the london burger scene has really upped its game of late.

Soldato
Had a burger at meat mission last week and can confirm it was lovely. Wasn't impressed that we didn't get plates though :p

Oh yeah that's really annoying! We had a group of 10 people there last week and we all asked for plates as it just makes things easier.

I wouldn't recommend the red chilli burger though, definitely get the green chilli one though

Back
Top Bottom