Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Had a Five Guys yesterday in Uxbridge. It was OK - I think I preferred it to the one in New York that I had when I visited (fries were far too salty there) - still prefer a good Patty & Bun or Byron.

Soldato
Had my patty and bun fix today

About the 6th time I have been love the atmosphere of the place. Sadly was a little disappointed with the food. Chips not as tasty as normal and a little greasy, bun was quite dry and the wings were had far far to much sauce on.

Still nice but not up to standards. Need to try elsewhere next time

Associate
Big n Tasty from McD's stuffed with fries and 2 tubs of sweet n sour sauce added.

And the best one I've ever had was Dubai Airport 2 years ago, looked exactly like the picture as well!

Man of Honour
I didn't realise that there was a Byron in the centre of Manchester. I might try to pop in during lunch some time. Is it feasible for me to get a burger to take away without having to wait a billion years?

Associate
Burger Meats Bun in Glasgow is the best I've had.

Their Fiery Burger & Thai chilli cheese fries are superb. No plates, napkins etc, just some kitchen roll and lemonade/coke from a glass bottle make it all the better.

http://www.burger-meats-bun.co.uk/menus/BMB-Main-Menu.pdf

Hopefully going to confirm this soon, I'm moving to Glasgow next month. Also, poster above me - nice pic, didn't know there were any other paddlers on here :)

Soldato
So, I've just found out that Honest Burger have opened up down the road from me :eek: :D!!! If it's anything like the burger I had from the Honest Burger in Soho, it will be very very good :). It's located close to Tooting Broadway, so it is certainly an interesting choice of location for them but I'm not complaining!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I didn't realise that there was a Byron in the centre of Manchester. I might try to pop in during lunch some time. Is it feasible for me to get a burger to take away without having to wait a billion years?

One of the good things is that it is very quick. It's "fast" food, which is actually reasonably decent quality. :)

Associate

I have been to byron a few times, but if you're in Manchester all I can say is that almost famous is miles better.

Man of Honour
One of the good things is that it is very quick. It's "fast" food, which is actually reasonably decent quality. :)

Yup. Our food arrived pretty quickly today and was really nice. A bit expensive for what it was but certainly no major complaints.

I had:

Tortillas for 'nibbles' - not impressed. I would avoid these in future (also, too much food - my eyes were bigger than my stomach).

Courgette Fries - Really delicious and actually the star of the meal if I'm honest.

Smoky Burger - Once again very good. Meat was a little dry despite being only cooked to medium-rare (they default to medium). Despite that, great taste and it wasn't a burger that just splooged everywhere or fell apart so that earned bonus points from me.

The actual place is either taking the whole "building site décor" too far or ran out of money half way through decorating the place. It was also extremely dead so I have concerns about how long it is likely to stay open.

I'm definitely going to go again I think.

I have been to byron a few times, but if you're in Manchester all I can say is that almost famous is miles better.

I've sort of been meaning to try Almost Famous for a long time now but the place burning down obviously put a dampener on that for a bit. I know they've reopened now though (I was never tempted to go try them at the place they made burgers at whilst they rebuilt/relocated).

There are a few things that put me off AF:

1) From all accounts their burgers are basically giant piles of slop. I'm sure this tastes great but I want a burger I can eat without a spoon.

2) Their website and attitudes are extremely annoyingly hipster to the point of absurdity. It really puts me off supporting them as a business.

3) The whole "we're so awesome that you can't book and you must queue outside for ages" attitude also annoys me.

Despite all that, I do plan to try them some day. If it weren't for the above I'd have no doubt already been there many times.

Associate
I've sort of been meaning to try Almost Famous for a long time now but the place burning down obviously put a dampener on that for a bit. I know they've reopened now though (I was never tempted to go try them at the place they made burgers at whilst they rebuilt/relocated).

There are a few things that put me off AF:

1) From all accounts their burgers are basically giant piles of slop. I'm sure this tastes great but I want a burger I can eat without a spoon.

2) Their website and attitudes are extremely annoyingly hipster to the point of absurdity. It really puts me off supporting them as a business.

3) The whole "we're so awesome that you can't book and you must queue outside for ages" attitude also annoys me.

Despite all that, I do plan to try them some day. If it weren't for the above I'd have no doubt already been there many times.

To be fair to them, the burgers and fries are pretty good. They get their burger patties from pretty much the best butcher in Manchester and serve them pink in a decent quality demi-brioche bun. The fries are consistently good also but some of their menu items are a bit ridiculous and are definitely sloppy. The experience eating there is completely different to how it was originally though. The thing that made people so fanatical about it (me included) is that it felt really fun to be eating good burgers in a temporary pop-up in a seemingly unused building in the Northern Quarter. Then they made it a permanent place and now they're opening their fourth chain in Leeds - it feels a bit passe.

As an aside: they've knocked the massive queue thing on the head now because the council got annoyed with the constant queuing. You basically turn up and if there's no room they take your name and number and text you when there's a table. If you go to the one off Deansgate they'll try and convince you to stay in the bar area and drink £5 bottles of IPA while you wait though.

They also seem to be toning the hipster/attitude thing down as well now as they've cottoned onto the fact that most people found it pretty obnoxious.

Back
Top Bottom