Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Patty and Bun is epic, great atmosphere in there too.

The burgers are mental, chips with rosemary salt is epic and the bbq chicken wings are epic.

Seriously cool place to go and rather addictive I am glad I live 40 miles away and it is not local as I would be rather fat. Also not to expensive given the location and quality.

Soldato
if your ever around in Nottingham make sure to visit Annies burger shack. its in the lace market area of Nottingham

Awesome burgers, loads of weird and wonderful combinations and good beers on hand.

and the prices are pretty darn good imo

Soldato
Almost went to Five Guys in London but opted for ShakeShack which is admittedly pricey but thought it was great to be honest, I wanted to go to P&B or Honest but couldn't get out those ways this time.

GBK used to be really good until they really fubar'd their menu, got rid of the cajun chicken, chorizo and changed the amazing habanero sauce to a cold inferior jam.

In Nottingham we have Annie's Burger Shack which is damn good but oversubscribed at peak time and currently lacking a decent booking system. EDIT: Just seen KaptainMarc has recommended the Burger Shack, it's a +1 from me if you can get in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been to Byron in Cambridge 3 times now, and for me that's the best I've had, not much choice in Cambridge though TBH although I haven't tried GBK. Marco Pierre White has just opened a steak and burger place in one of the hotels, but I'm not expecting his burger to be better than Byron's

Soldato
I've eaten a lot of burgers, and hands down can say that in the UK at least, 5 Guys is easily the best. Even all the London hipsters at work can't find better.

Soldato
I went to the Covent Garden 5 Guys last Wednesday before watching the Chelsea game. I went for the bacon double cheeseburger with spicy fries. It was ok, but I think I prefer Byron. The B-Rex which I think they still have on is fantastic.

Yet to try Patty & Bun but it's on the list as is Honest Burger.

Soldato
My best UK burger, bizarrely, was from a Wimpy at a motorway services of all places about 10 years ago!!!

Perfectly cooked, fresh lettuce, tomato, onion etc - not at all what you would associate with a fast food outlet, let alone one at a motorway services!!

Best burger overall has to be one at a random burger joint in Las Vegas - so small I can't even remember the name!!!

*edit* dagnammit, I'm hungry now!! - Also, only just watched the "best burger" episode on HIMYM!

Last edited:
Soldato
Difficult question to answer really....I fell in love with In'N'Out while on our honeymoon in California. Must have stopped 6 times in 2 weeks. Ooops!

Best I have had in London is Byron, but I have heard amazing things about Patty & Bun, but Byron is so easy to get to accross the City and I despise to queue!!!

Funnily enough, had a brilliant burger in Newcastle last week from Fat Hippo Underground. So good in fact we're going back on Friday. Absolutely brilliant it was! That and a pint of Allendale Adder - I was a very happy chap!

Last edited:
Soldato
14 pounds for a Five Guys?????
Have one a few miles from where I live, they are about$7-9 which includes the fries and a drink. They are pretty dam tasty :D
Miles better than your average Fast Food chain, but still can't touch a good restaurant burger :)

Soldato
14 pounds for a Five Guys?????
Have one a few miles from where I live, they are about$7-9 which includes the fries and a drink. They are pretty dam tasty :D
Miles better than your average Fast Food chain, but still can't touch a good restaurant burger :)

Yeah but you've got a distinct advantage of being in the US! :p

Even a McDonalds burger over there tastes better than your standard-fare restaurant burger over here!!! :(

Soldato
I've eaten a lot of burgers, and hands down can say that in the UK at least, 5 Guys is easily the best. Even all the London hipsters at work can't find better.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong ;)

Actually I know someone else who prefers five guys to patty and bun. I really don't understand why. They are very different burgers though.

Soldato
OP
Couldn't disagree more dude.
I've not been to Byron, but the fact that you can compare GBK's frozen efforts favourably to Five Guys seriously makes me doubt your palate to be honest. (no offense)

No offence taken. I eat out a lot and to be honest the Five Guys burger is nothing special and neither is GBK. They are not even in the same league as the 'Gold Standard' at Holsteins or 99% of the burgers served in the USA. Cooking the Five Guys burger to well done is just a crying shame, they really should serve them slightly pink which may bring out some more juicy goodness.

I know what you mean about Almost Famous and their hipster attitude. I live in Liverpool and thankfully have never had to wait for a table at our branch. The patties used at Almost Famous are made by Frosts' of Chorlton, a fantastic butcher. Not sure where Five Guys source their UK meat from but you can bet it's not as good as his. I've only ever had some sort of crazy creation from there but I always take a bite out of just the burger on its own.

I would say in that Trafford Centre the GBK is a better burger option because for the same price (or less probably...) you get a burger which is pretty much the same quality as Five Guys plus better service/beverage options.

Get yourself to Byron though, it's GBK on steroids. The last time I was in the Manc one, Ian Brown was in there :)

I will be in Vegas next month, any decent burger places worth a visit?

LOTS! My top three: Holsteins, Strip Burger and In N Out Burger. Read my Vegas food thread here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18530307

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I need to try out 7-bone soon. I'm in the US at the moment and I had a Five Guys on Saturday and was completely underwhelmed. I would honestly rate a Baconator above the burger I had there.

Back
Top Bottom