Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Man of Honour
Well, went to Pitt Cue for lunch. Pulled pork with the bone marrow mash. Was good. Mash was particularly yummy.

Can't say that I preferred it over Bodeans. Actually, if anything I'd go to Bodeans more. Burnt ends - just yum.

Man of Honour
Almost Famous for lunch today - had the Famous Breakfast burger, which was pretty ridiculous. Slightly regretted not getting the River Phoenix but it was still very nice. Cheerios on a burger aren't something I'd ever do myself :p

Soldato
Almost Famous for lunch today - had the Famous Breakfast burger, which was pretty ridiculous. Slightly regretted not getting the River Phoenix but it was still very nice. Cheerios on a burger aren't something I'd ever do myself :p

What's the turnaround at Almost Famous? I've got about 45 mins to kill in Manchester tomorrow, but a) am arriving and heading of from Piccadilly and therefore don't have an awful lot of room for error time-wise and b) don't really know my way around the city.

Is there anywhere else nearby that I could grab something good and quick to eat? :)

Man of Honour
What's the turnaround at Almost Famous? I've got about 45 mins to kill in Manchester tomorrow, but a) am arriving and heading of from Piccadilly and therefore don't have an awful lot of room for error time-wise and b) don't really know my way around the city.

Is there anywhere else nearby that I could grab something good and quick to eat? :)

They're fairly quick to be honest but walking there and such would probably make the timing too tight :/

Which station will you be near?

I quite like Wasabi sushi - cheap sushi from the belt (which isn't great but acceptable) and far nicer stuff on the a la carte menu which there used to be (and may still be) a constant 30% discount on. There's an outlet near the old BBC building site - which is right by Oxford Road train station.

Near the aquatics centre there is also Umami and Eat Goody. Umami is a bit like if Wagamama didn't suck. Their chilli beef ramen and and salt and pepper squid is really really delicious. Eat Goody is near the sugden sports centre and do very tasty Korean food. Their bibimbap is good but my favourite is the ginger chicken teriyaki dupbap.

If you're at Piccadilly station then I'd probably walk down towards the Northern Quarter. There are tons of decent places there though you'll need to be in and out quickly if you've only got 45 minutes. I've always wanted to try Slice pizza and there's also another Almost Famous around there. There are a billion other decent places too but I'm failing to think of any more specific places :p

edit: I can't read. You clearly said you were at Piccadilly :p

edit2: I'm not sure if there's anywhere that decent that you could walk there and back (and get food) within 45 minutes :s

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks - I should have booked a slightly earlier train, heading off to Horwich Parkway after I get there, so ideally would grab some food in the city centre beforehand. Thanks for the advice, might just go for a wonder and pick something up nearby.

Soldato
After unsuccessfully trying a couple of times before, managed to get a table at Honest Burger last night. Really nice stuff. Definitely better than Byron/GBK and the Rosemary fries were some of the best tasting chips I've ever had. Only complaint would be I wish they used a bacon chop ala Dirty Burger.

Best burger for me still has to be at Reds in Leeds. Pitt Burger all the way.

Soldato
Anyone know Burger Boy? They have a stall Fridays and Saturdays at the new Soho street food union thing. I tried a sandwich from Peckham Pastrami last Friday. Good, but nowhere near big enough to warrant spending £7.50. :(

Soldato
OP
Met some friends in Manchester today and went to Solita (www.solita.co.uk). I had the 'once in a lifetime' burger: (not my pic but looked the same)

AVYacLS.jpg

Pulled pork, buttermilk fried chicken breast, burger patty, onion rings, slaw, BBQ sauce. It was damn fine but pointless being in a bun. Beef patties were as good as anything I have had in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom