Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
I've visited the Five Guys in Trafford Center twice now, love the burgers, and even more love the cajun spiced fries, and the drinks machines are awesome.

For those in the South West, i noticed a Five Guys opening at Cabot Circus, probably sometime very soon.

Associate
For me, the perfect burger means that all the individual components are on point.

Starting with the bread. It must NOT be cold/soggy. Traditional sesame buns are ok, but brioche are superior. Everything inside must be fresh too. The meat is also really important obviously.

Another crucial part is that it must be balanced. I don't want it to be 90% meat. And neither do I want the burger to be half a foot high, that way I can't actually eat it all at once. There is not point just eating one part of the burger at one time. I might as well have it separated out on a plate in front of me.

Anyway, had an Honest Burger last week at the new-ish joint they have opened up here in Tooting, London. It was really good. The brioche bun was nice, salad inside was fresh, and the meat was really well done. It was medium rare, but not just reconstituted mush... proper meat in there.

Had Five Guys twice now in London, and found it slightly disappointing compared to other burgers I had in the states. Put together very rushed and worst of all.. the bun was not reheated properly!

Man of Honour
Keep meaning to head to Five Guys in Brum but never get the chance! Hopefully now the Christmas Market has started up I'll be over there a few times so will be able to get at least one in.

Soldato
Yoyo burger in Bristol is a favourite of mine. It's a fast-food/takeaway rather than a restaurant, but the burgers are great. They do some "exotic" options like ostrich, bison etc, but I like their standard Angus beef patties.

Used to frequent quite regularly when I worked nearby. Miss it a bit

Caporegime
Went to Five Guys in Birmingham today. Pretty good...probably slightly above Byron in terms of overall quality. I still prefer Almost Famous and Solita though.

If Five Guys is better than Byrons then Byrons must be like MaccyD's! :eek: Been to the Birmingham one 3 times now, even the best one I thought was still average.

A local one has opened by my, an Indy. Locally sourced beef, amazing burgers, had this last week, has pulled beef ribs on top, very juicy, great texture.

rzhgSMOl.jpg

http://aruleoftum.com/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Despite my initial liking of Byrons now I've tried better places I would say that it's really not great.

Five Guys does what it's supposed to do better I would say. I'm not in a rush to go back to either though :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I went to The Diner just off Carnaby Street in London. Not amazing. I got a double cheeseburger made with short rib; but I'll be honest, I couldn't taste any difference and I was a little disappointed. The bun didn't appear to have been toasted or steamed so it was a bit crumbly. Coupled with the fact that the relish and pickle seemed to drown the taste of the burger with vinegary-ness.

The shakes were good, as were the sweet potato fries, but that's not what I was there to judge.

So yeah, one to avoid IMO.

http://www.goodlifediner.com/

Soldato
There's a 5 guys in Cambridge now, I've not had the chance to try it yet, but a random poll of one guy I know who's been to both rates byron over 5 guys. I need to see for myself TBH.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think there's quite a few in London mentioned in this thread. The main one I've been wanting to try for a while is Meat Liquor.

Or head up to Manchester and try out Almost Famous :)

Associate
Been once or twice since I last posted in this thread. While I think the food is good and the overall experience is a bit different, I just don't think it's quite worth the money. Knock a couple of quid off and I'd probably change my mind.

I'm a sucker for the drinks machine, though.

Soldato
There's a 5 guys in Cambridge now, I've not had the chance to try it yet, but a random poll of one guy I know who's been to both rates byron over 5 guys. I need to see for myself TBH.

I've been to five guys in brum, gbk and byron in Cambridge. Gbk is the best however decor/serving situation in byron is nicer.

Fiver guys just feels like an overly priced burger king.

Back
Top Bottom