Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Went to Guildford last week so popped into Five Guys for some lunch. Silly me, I didn't read the menu board, and just ordered a cheese burger. It came with no toppings :(. Went with regular fries as well. The burger arrived and it was 2 thin patties with cheese, in a seeded bun. Basically a double cheeseburger from Burger King, and I probably couldn't tell the difference if there was a taste test either. Disappointed. The regular fries was actually quite a large portion, and it was the best thing about the meal.

So it's fast food in that you walk in and up to the counter to order, but not fast food as you pay twice the price and have to wait 10 minutes for it. Not comparable in the slightest to Patty & Bun or Honest Burger, and I'd probably rather eat at Byron or GBK too.

Associate
Went to Guildford last week so popped into Five Guys for some lunch. Silly me, I didn't read the menu board, and just ordered a cheese burger. It came with no toppings :(. Went with regular fries as well. The burger arrived and it was 2 thin patties with cheese, in a seeded bun. Basically a double cheeseburger from Burger King, and I probably couldn't tell the difference if there was a taste test either. Disappointed. The regular fries was actually quite a large portion, and it was the best thing about the meal.

So it's fast food in that you walk in and up to the counter to order, but not fast food as you pay twice the price and have to wait 10 minutes for it. Not comparable in the slightest to Patty & Bun or Honest Burger, and I'd probably rather eat at Byron or GBK too.

No offense, but if you go in there and buy basic burger with no toppings then it's not really a fair judge of it. The toppings are kind of the point at Five Guys.

It's food in so far as you go up to the counter, order and pay circa £25 for a meal for two as you do at all the other mid-level casual dining places like GBK/Nandos. It's not a new concept.

And I don't think anyone would compare it to a small, 2 branch place like Patty & Bun that is run by enthusiasts when it's a big multinational chain.

Soldato
No offense, but if you go in there and buy basic burger with no toppings then it's not really a fair judge of it. The toppings are kind of the point at Five Guys.
No offense taken :). I did say that it was my mistake that I didn't get toppings, I didn't do it intentionally. However, the key ingredient of a decent burger is the patty, and these weren't very good. Toppings can finish a great burger, but they aren't what make the burger great in the fist place. Perhaps they should change their name to Five Guys Toppings and Fries?

It's food in so far as you go up to the counter, order and pay circa £25 for a meal for two as you do at all the other mid-level casual dining places like GBK/Nandos. It's not a new concept.
Not suggesting it's a new concept. I just think it's caught in 2 minds between a fast food restaurant (McD & BK) and a restaurant like GBK or Byron. For the money I paid, I think that a burger from GBK or Byron is nicer. Had it been half the price, I could see the appeal of going there.

And I don't think anyone would compare it to a small, 2 branch place like Patty & Bun that is run by enthusiasts when it's a big multinational chain.
Reading through this thread you'll see that many people have compared all of these Burger restaurants, chain or not. Aside from that, inside Five Guys, they plaster the wall with quotes saying how great the burgers are, so I will compare it to other burger restaurants including Patty & Bun, especially considering their price point. Surely being a multinational chain doesn't stop you buying decent meat :).

Soldato
There's a 5 guys in Cambridge now, I've not had the chance to try it yet, but a random poll of one guy I know who's been to both rates byron over 5 guys. I need to see for myself TBH.

I 100% agree with "one guy". Everything is better at Byron, not least of all the burgers.

5 guys is ok, but I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.

Soldato
zE1BBZA.jpg

My 'perfect' order at In 'n' Out :D

Double-double, animal style, whole grilled onion and chopped chillies

French fries 'well done'

Chocolate shake

Side of pickles/chillies

Ohh yussss

(ignore the wife's order - double meat, no sauce, whole grilled onion, lettuce and tomato with lettuce wrap pth pth pth)

Mind you, we normally split the fries and milkshake so you can't argue with a $10 dinner for two :D

Last edited:
Soldato
An 18 year old woman has died after eating at Almost Famous burgers in Manchester, possable allergic reaction to the food
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30820918

Perhaps they should change their name to 'Now Infamous Burgers'?

There was a tv program on other day about this unusal events and creatures and one of stories was about an a man in the US who had scoffed two beef burgers and had to be rushed to hospital because he couldn't breath. It turned out he had been biten by a the Lone Star Tic which had left its poisonous saliva in his blood stream and when he eat red meet it caused an increase in virus cells and becuase he had so much food his body was flooding his blood stream with anti bodies which caused a reaction. Can't reremember the name of the show but it's very interesting.

Associate
I went to burger meats bun in Glasgow recently, the burger was big, good toppings, reasonable price, all in all very good. The only disappointing thing was that their milkshakes aren't made with ice cream, it's syrup.

Soldato
I went to burger meats bun in Glasgow recently, the burger was big, good toppings, reasonable price, all in all very good. The only disappointing thing was that their milkshakes aren't made with ice cream, it's syrup.

i do love that place- burgers are ace and the thai spice fries are awesome!

Associate

Have you been to Bread Meats Bread? Their sweet potato fries with maple syrup and coconut are amazing!!

Back
Top Bottom