Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Had the 'Big Boy' in Lolita Cantina in Liverpool on Saturday.

I feel bad slating the place but it just wasn't right. I was absolutely battered and to be fair, I should not have eaten it and I should have complained but I didn't and I ate it.

Been sick for the last two days. The meat was off and I knew it then and I really know it now.

I've heard mixed things about this place. Think I'll stick to Rookwood in Liverpool & Reds True BBQ / SoLita in Manchester. Three fantastic burger places.

Caporegime
Went back to 7 Bones in Southampton today after shooting a wedding in the area.

Great burger as before, it is so tender and soft you can almost eat it with no teeth. Great shakes, had the peanut butter and jam, the hot wings was a little disappointing, it was swimming it the hot sauce which removed a lot of the crunchy thin batter underneath. and the meat didn't fall off the bone either. My local burger place does bette wings, much better.

One down side to the burger is perhaps they put too much egg glaze on, it was sticky/oily to touch. Great flavour though, i had the truffle one.

6wVycdC.jpg

Soldato
Missed out on the chance to go to Patty & Bun for Lunch Saturday, the Liverpool Street branch was shut due to equipment failure, I was told to go to James Street instead & they were queuing around the block, so not happy as I had to get back home early.

Soldato
Should have just headed to honest burger or byron around the corner from Liverpool Street. Sod heading all the way to James Street from there.

kai

kai

Soldato
Few burgers last week.

Blas burgerworks (St Ives) was expecting big thing's freshly made and only use premium locally sourced ingredients. They have won a ton of awards, in the UK and Europe for a very small local restaurant.

Average, something I could have produced at home, fresh ingredients but expensive around £12 for the burger alone. Good bun err that's about it. 5/10

blas.jpg

Hub - St Ives

Slider Tray (Hub burger, Boston roll, hot dog, with slaw, pickles & handcut fries with a side of beans and burnt ends.

IMG_2002.jpg

Tasty burgers, but for me pulled pork in burgers do not work!

6/10

Five Guys (Cardiff)

Easily the best burger of the week, these things are so juicy and full of flavour. Not cheap, that resulted in me going back for a grilled cheese and hot dog to fill me.

11164588_10152675457500989_6609572512440838137_n.jpg

9/10

Last edited:
Soldato
You're mad :p

Anyway, I went to a free whiskey tasting last night and ended up *finally* getting to MeatMarket afterwards. Have to say, maybe I'd built it up over time and heard a bit too much about it being the 'original' dirty London burger but I was kinda disappointed. Don't get me wrong it was good but not great. And that'd bearing in mind I'd just spent the last hour sampling 12 or more different whiskeys :p

I think if I wanted a burger more akin to a fast food burger I'd actually go to Five Guys.

Soldato
I had 5G for the second time this week and it was SO much better than the first time.
I probably wouldn't go again, as a meal for two came to £25 but the burger was very nice.

Soldato
So we have a local Burger place that actually does deliveries!

www.chosenbun.com

Ordered some in on Friday. I went for the 'Chilli Winston' (Beef patty, smoked applewood cheddar, smoked streaky bacon, jalapeno relish, lettuce, pickled red onions, Naga and Chipotle mayo)

It was pretty nice tbh! I had the Chips and Onion rings with it, and a brownie for desert :)

The only thing that wasn't great was the onion rings, they were a bit overcooked. Everything else was nice!

Associate
Any recommendations near Bank station in London?

There's a GBK and Byron nearby, but I find them a bit middle of the road in all honesty. Obviously way better than your average fast food place, but not exactly a memorable experience either.

I've heard Burger and Lobster is meant to be the up and coming thing, but not convinced from initial glance.

Back
Top Bottom