Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Had my first 5 guys burger yesterday.

bacon cheese burger, Lettuce, Tomato, Ketchup, Mayo, Pickles, Jalapeno Peppers, Mustard and BBQ sauce.

Pretty tasty, although the burgers themselves were a bit underwhelming compared to the other choices in Cambridge (Byron, Butch Annies or Steak and Honour). Miles better than McDs, seemed on a par with a good BK.

Fries were OK, but IMO all of the above except for McDs are better.

Would go again.

Soldato
Went to Flat Iron (Beak St, London) on Friday for steak, and as they have a burger on the menu, I couldn't resist that as well. Made from flat iron steak, it's cooked medium and serverd in a white seeded bun, with shallots and bearnaise sauce. Very tasty but quite sloppy because of the amount of bearnaise sauce in it. Very good, but not quite P&B.

Caporegime
Had my first 5 guys burger yesterday.

bacon cheese burger, Lettuce, Tomato, Ketchup, Mayo, Pickles, Jalapeno Peppers, Mustard and BBQ sauce.

Pretty tasty, although the burgers themselves were a bit underwhelming compared to the other choices in Cambridge (Byron, Butch Annies or Steak and Honour). Miles better than McDs, seemed on a par with a good BK.

Fries were OK, but IMO all of the above except for McDs are better.

Would go again.

I find Five Guys is only good if you pile on the toppings. I tried it with just ketchup once and it was worst than Burger King.

Soldato
I find Five Guys is only good if you pile on the toppings. I tried it with just ketchup once and it was worst than Burger King.

I think you're probably right. I just happened coincidentally to be passing an hour ago and had another (again bacon cheese loaded with toppings). It's not that it's bad, but Byron is still miles better IMO.

Soldato
I think that's probably why I had such a good first go at Five Guys -- I'd already been warned that it's all about the toppings. I actually really like that.

I think I added cheese, bacon, mayo, relish and gherkins. That's about the max you need to be honest. (I normally stay away from bacon in a burger actually!). Damn I love mayo with everything.

Soldato
had my first byron a few weeks ago, very disappointing (even forgetting the price £££!), so many good burger places in Leeds City Centre. We have a 5 guys opening soon that I'm looking forward to try.

Favourite place in Leeds for burgers is Meat Liquor or the Aire Bar currently

Last edited:
Associate
had my first byron a few weeks ago, very disappointing (even forgetting the price £££!), some many good burger places in Leeds City Centre. We have a 5 guys opening soon that I'm looking forward to try.

Favourite place in Leeds for burgers is Meat Liquor or the Aire Bar currently

I went to Aire Bar on Saturday, the burger was excellent. One of the best I've had in a while.

I find Five Guys very overrated for what it is, I think I prefer Burger King to be honest, bit cheaper too.

Soldato
When they say brindisa chorizo, do they mean from the tapas place or is brindisa actually a location somewhere in the world? Please excuse my idiocy.

Love Tapas Brindisa by the way :D

Soldato
I went to Aire Bar on Saturday, the burger was excellent. One of the best I've had in a while.

I find Five Guys very overrated for what it is, I think I prefer Burger King to be honest, bit cheaper too.

Try Meat Liquour (I had the dead hippy burger - was like a posh big mac) its like Red's BBQ but without the waiting and better flavours. Deep fried mac and cheese as a side....drools

Associate
Been on a huge burger hype recently after managing to avoid the fuss for too long. Visited Honest Burger, Hache, GBK, Shake Shack, P&B, Byron and Five Guys in that order. Quite honestly you can't compare Shack Shack and Five Guys to the rest as they're so utterly different.

I HATE to say it but the Five Guys I had this evening was personally everything I want in a burger. I don't want to sit down in a restaurant and work my way through a beautiful looking but impractical Hache burger, despite all the 'best burger in London' advertisements I see. I want a nice, squidgy, wide not tall, fast food style burger with a tonne of cheese and bacon and not much else... and personally I think the American chains do that better.

My personal opinion, think I'm in the minority!

Caporegime
Been on a huge burger hype recently after managing to avoid the fuss for too long. Visited Honest Burger, Hache, GBK, Shake Shack, P&B, Byron and Five Guys in that order. Quite honestly you can't compare Shack Shack and Five Guys to the rest as they're so utterly different.

I HATE to say it but the Five Guys I had this evening was personally everything I want in a burger. I don't want to sit down in a restaurant and work my way through a beautiful looking but impractical Hache burger, despite all the 'best burger in London' advertisements I see. I want a nice, squidgy, wide not tall, fast food style burger with a tonne of cheese and bacon and not much else... and personally I think the American chains do that better.

My personal opinion, think I'm in the minority!

totally agree. A burger is finger food, it needs to be nice and thick but not too thick that you can't put in your gob.

All those fancy tower style burger looks great but you can't really eat it like that.

Well Byron was pretty good, full of flavour and the toppings really did make the burger.

Went for the B-Rex in the end, with the courgette fries and an Oreo shake. Very tasty indeed, but have to echo Ray's sentiments in that it was lukewarm when it arrived at the table which was a bit meh but otherwise a positive experience. Will definitely be going back.

Excuse the potato-phone pic...

gOg6Hcs.jpg

Associate
Always though Byron wasn't that good.
I quite like 5 guys as a fast food style burger, although it's a little overpriced.

Recently tried Free State Kitchen in Liverpool and absolutely loved it. It wasn't pretentious either, just a really good burger. And they did both styles excellently. They had the crazy big full of,toppings burger which a friend said was great. But they also had the plain but tasty bacon cheeseburger or just cheeseburger too.

Back
Top Bottom