Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
That Dirty Burger one is epic. I went there after a few drinks and cinema with friends, wasn't expecting much but was really blown away. I need to get back there.

Associate
Now one is coming to Cheltenham I can finally see what all the fuss is about. A lot of of people tell me it's a fancy maccas, which is why I've always put off going there, as there are so many nice options when I travelled somewhere than has a FG.

We'll see......!

Hmm will keep a lookout!
You should definitely take a trip over to Hereford and try a Beefy Boys. So, so good.

Caporegime
Had Five Guys again tonight and as good as always. £30 for two of us though so not cheap. I enjoy it, but I'm still not 100% convinced it's worth the extra over McD's and BK.

Soldato
Doesn't Cheltenham already have more pro burger places? Grid Iron, Real Burger...and...I've not tried "The Bottle of Sauce" but it looks delicious.

I've yet to try Bottle of Sauce, heard good things though.

@Fluke? - is that the same as Rule of Tum? If so, yes they are epic. Never been there, but had burgers from their pop up tents a few times.

Associate
Yeah, I really don't think it's worth the extra money. Have been to the one in Bristol a few times, and it is a good burger and the fries are great (only get regular size - they dump handfuls more in the bag!), but the price really is high.

Plus, the price on the menu didn't include vat! Bit of a surprise when they rang it up. Apparently 'it's the American way'

Underboss
Had my first 5G's yesterday, the chips although lovely were way to salty for me.

The burger was fantastic and from what I tasted of the wife's hotdog that was also very nice, defo better than BK but worth almost double I'm not so sure - I'll have to visit again...

Associate
How would you rate Five Guys compared to for example Gourmet Burger Kitchen? I've never eaten at FG as there is none where I live and when I'm in London I tend to dine somewhere else, and every time I'm passed a FG there its packed and crowded, and there is GBK very close to the one I usually pass by, hence I tend to end up in GBK which is smaller but usually a lot quieter.

Soldato
How would you rate Five Guys compared to for example Gourmet Burger Kitchen? I've never eaten at FG as there is none where I live and when I'm in London I tend to dine somewhere else, and every time I'm passed a FG there its packed and crowded, and there is GBK very close to the one I usually pass by, hence I tend to end up in GBK which is smaller but usually a lot quieter.

I wasn't impressed with my visit to GBK. I was unimpressed by the taste of the burger, I thought it was quite average, and pretty overpriced. It seems to be a place where they want the style of a trendy bar, but do fairly standard burgers and sides at jacked up prices. Five Guys do better burgers, but I also find them overpriced for what you get (compared to other places) and with Five Guys you don't get table service and have to put up with the absurd volume of music they tend to play. I think GBK is a nicer place to eat in, but Five Guys do better burgers. However, there are better places to eat than either of them.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
I rate GBK burgers (I have the veggie ones) they're flavourful, big and have good relish and seasoning. But the price of fries is comical. £4.15 for sweet potato fries...

Caporegime
Had Five Guys again tonight and as good as always. £30 for two of us though so not cheap. I enjoy it, but I'm still not 100% convinced it's worth the extra over McD's and BK.

mc donalds burgers (the beef patty ones) are terrible. Burger King has much better burgers however it's fries are crap. five guys is nowhere near worth £15 a head. if you get the burger king app you can usually get 2 burgers, fries and a drink for £6. i think they even do a £10 deal where it's 4 burgers and 2 fries.

it's 4 times the price at five guys when you look at it that way it's terrible. yes five guys burgers are decent but they are charging restaurant prices for half decent burgers wrapped in foil in a paper bag. i'd go for any other proper burger join over five guys any day of the week. byron, bread meats bread, handmade burger company. if none of them where nearby i'd even opt for burger king just because i don't think five guys is worth it at all. it should be priced at £8-9 a head for a meal. but it's £8-9 just for a burger on it's own with no fries or drink.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
It's not a burger place, but if you fancy some excellent fries and are in Brighton, head to Befries.

The best fries I have ever had, didn't think I could get that excited about fries but now I just want more.

Soldato
If people are comparing FG to maccas and BK, then I'll definitely give this place a miss. I was under the impression FG was a good burger chain restaurant, like GBK etc, but maybe not quite as 'fancy' (not that GBK is fancy at all)

You wouldn't catch me dead in a Burger King etc, so it doesn't sound like I'm missing out on anything.......

Soldato
It's not a burger place, but if you fancy some excellent fries and are in Brighton, head to Befries.

The best fries I have ever had, didn't think I could get that excited about fries but now I just want more.
I think I'll add that to the To Do list for next time I'm in Brighton, thanks for the recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom