Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Have been working in Edinburgh so i found a five guys, double patty with cheese= junk, fries=junk, cheese dog was nice, same old crap like the rest of the chains, burp and your hungry again, really for the brain dead people.

Soldato
I tried Smash Burger here a few weeks back. They pride themselves on "smashing" balls of meat onto the hotplate which I felt was gimmicky. The meal was nice but it was far too overpriced at £15. I was suckered into going back the next day for a milkshake, that was £5 alone :/

Soldato
I know its too late now but if you are in the area again, there is a pub called the Lord Nelson about 2 minutes from Southwark station on Union Street that does some fantastic burgers.

Just seen this! I do come down to London a fair bi but usually Westminster area, I normally go to Byron over in Leicester Square. Hopefully next time I'll be down for an over-nighter so once I'm done I can travel to wherever.

I did try the Smash last week too. Had a double with Ketchup, Mustard and Pickles on a Chipotle bun. Good burger but the fries seemed a bit generic. A slight step above Mcdonalds/BK etc.

Man of Honour
smash is not a gimmick, no idea on the chain, but smash burgers are amazing and is what I make at home 9o% of the time. More tasty crust.

Soldato
I also went to Smashburger this weekend as one opened in Bath not too long ago. As Glaucus has said it's not a gimmick, just a different way of preparing and cooking the patty. I believe Five Guys and Shake Shack patties are also Smash burgers.

Price wise they are the same prices as Five Guys across the menu so that is the direct comparison. For me I found Smashburger to be nicer overall, their 'Smash Bun' (Toasted Brioche Bun) was really nice and better than the seeded bun you get in Five Guys. The patty was very nice with good flavor and moistness, the toppings were all tasty as well. We also had the Smash Fries which are French Fries with olive oil, garlic and rosemary. They were really good, the fries were fresh and crunchy and the olive oil/garlic/rosmeary combo was good, only complaint on these were our batch had a little too much oil on.

Overall I prefered it to Five Guys however it does sit at the exact same prices so it's down to you as to whether you think it's value for money. In my opinion it suffers the same issues as Five Guys in that they are both came from the US however the prices we pay in Pounds is what you pay in Dollars over their so in the US it's better value.

I will go again to try some of the other burgers on the menu however because of the prices it will be a rare occasion.

Soldato
Went to TGI's on the weekend, chips and onion rings were nice but I found the actually burger a bit bland. Comparing it to Atomic the week before I don't see how I paid more for it.

Yeah TGI's burgers are rubbish. I've had 3 different ones from there and they're always bad. The jack daniels chicken is amazing though.

I had Patty and Bun the other week when I was in London. I really enjoyed it - nicer than the Honest burger I had a few months ago. Free State Kitchen in Liverpool is still king though.

Soldato
Price wise they are the same prices as Five Guys across the menu so that is the direct comparison.

For me Smash is in a weird place, I'll try my best to explain but not quite sure I'll be able to. Like you say it's pricing ins a direct competitor to Five Guys but I think the little touches like Plastic Cups for the drinks and how they present the food it's like a weird in-between of Fast Food like Five Guys and a place like Byron/GBK etc.

I will definitely go back as I thoroughly enjoyed the burger and whilst I said the fries were generic I did really enjoy (I got plain) the only negative I had which I forgot was that with how they wash the cups out the drinks just taste like plastic cup rather than whatever you pick from the machine (this was Newcastle site)

Soldato
Looks like the Handmade Burger Co had just gone into administration out of nowhere. All locations closed. Twitter account and website gone.

Shocked about this. Only been a few times but was always busy.

Caporegime
Looks like the Handmade Burger Co had just gone into administration out of nowhere. All locations closed. Twitter account and website gone.

Shocked about this. Only been a few times but was always busy.
Very surprised at that. Normally you get a few signs first like a store closure or two, but very strange to be completely nuked in one day.

Soldato
You gotta feel for all their workers. Turned up for work today and told their jobs don't exist anymore.

I liked their burgers too. Not as good as GBK, but they had some good burgers to choose from.

Soldato
To be honest, I'm not surprised these chains have flooded the market so quickly and they are relatively pricey for what you get. Is it a sign people are getting bored of them?

Back
Top Bottom