Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
As much as I feel I should try Shake Shack just so I can hold an opinion on it, every picture I see of it just makes me think why bother when I have Honest, P&B, Dirty Bones, Big Fernand etc. all just as close. That burger looks like it came from the nineties - very distinctly average :confused:

Caporegime
As much as I feel I should try Shake Shack just so I can hold an opinion on it, every picture I see of it just makes me think why bother when I have Honest, P&B, Dirty Bones, Big Fernand etc. all just as close. That burger looks like it came from the nineties - very distinctly average :confused:

That's it really, try it to see what the fuss its about.

Same reason I want to try In & Out but I won't make an effort for it. I only stumbled across Shake Shack when I was just walking around in Tokyo.

Soldato
To quote myself from earlier in the thread...

Shake Shack (just awful, it was like own brand supermarket stuff straight from the freezer)

Maybe they didn't care because it was the one outside Victoria so they don't have to think about customer loyalty/repeat custom but I find it hard to believe they'd be that different across branches???

Soldato
OP
To quote myself from earlier in the thread...

Maybe they didn't care because it was the one outside Victoria so they don't have to think about customer loyalty/repeat custom but I find it hard to believe they'd be that different across branches???

Gotta double up at Shake Shack and add bacon. Double shack burger with bacon is pretty good as it goes for fast burgers. I prefer it to In and Out Burger but the price of In and Out is about a third of Shake Shack. Double Double Animal Style is my go to In and Out order. Five Guys is not worthy of being in the same breath as those two, chips are good though.

Associate
Went to 'The Diner' in Spitalfields Market last night, was surprisngly very good! The blue cheese was amazing.

First time I've been in there, and would recommend

Associate
Went to 5 Guys in Cheltenham the other night after Star Wars (and before the drunken mess later :o ).
Bacon and cheese + grilled onions and ketchup. Was good but no Beefy Boys, and also had to wait better part of 30 minutes. Fast food this ain't.
Also £17+ for 2 burgers (sans-fries!) is extortionate.
Oh, and my drinking buddy for the night got so bored of waiting (eating into valuable drinking time) he got us a couple of small bottled lagers. 4 quid each.

3/10 for the experience tbh :mad:

Soldato
tbh the more five guys i have, suggest once monthly atm, the more i realize they are not all that. Byron is defo a league above

More recently the maccy d' signature range has my taste, there actually not bad at all

Caporegime
tbh the more five guys i have, suggest once monthly atm, the more i realize they are not all that. Byron is defo a league above

More recently the maccy d' signature range has my taste, there actually not bad at all

I once had Five Guys bunless, so it's just meat and salad. I took a bite of the meat and it has little to no flavour at all.

To get the best out of it, you have to go all the way and stack all the toppings.

Soldato
Sad to hear Byron burger is struggling, they're by some way my favorite of the modern burger franchises. We're over supplied now in Cambridge with GBK, Byron, Honest burger, Steak & Honor, Butch Annies and Five guys

Caporegime
Really annoys me there’s no decent burger places in Bexleyheath (for those that know it). We’ve got pubs, shops, fast food joints, all do well but not 9ne decent burger place like a Byron or honest burger. We have to go all the way to Bluewater for a Byron, GBK or five guys. They somehow all survive there in one shopping centre!

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I'm yet to try Five Guys. Every time I go to a city with one, I chicken out as I don't want to be disappointed.
Take some ear plugs and don't look at the price and you'll enjoy it. The burgers are quite good as a whole, the patties by themselves aren't that special. Certainly worth trying at least once!

Soldato
Have any of you London folk been to Burger and Beyond or Black Bear Burger? Both seem to be getting more popular with the London foodie Instagramers that I follow and their burgers look really good.

Soldato
I'm yet to try Five Guys. Every time I go to a city with one, I chicken out as I don't want to be disappointed.
The key is to look at the menu first and pick all your toppings. If you panic when ordering and mis-order you'll regret it. There's not much to FG apart from the ability to make your ultimate burger through the unlimited toppings.

Have any of you London folk been to Burger and Beyond or Black Bear Burger? Both seem to be getting more popular with the London foodie Instagramers that I follow and their burgers look really good.
They both sound awesome but out in hipster-land East where I rarely venture :p The 90-day aged at Burger and Beyond sounds good :o

Soldato
They both sound awesome but out in hipster-land East where I rarely venture :p The 90-day aged at Burger and Beyond sounds good :o

Hehe fair enough although I think you should embrace the hipsters, take one for the team and make a field trip :p

Yeh that one sounds wicked, only thing that shocked me was the price of Beyond's burgers - £11.50 for a double cheese and bacon seemed on the rather pricey side but maybe that's just me being out of touch with London prices since I moved.

Back
Top Bottom