Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Caporegime
Tried Bryon for the first time yesterday. At picadilly Manchester.

I don't have any recent UM burgers to compare, so this is.mostly to US fast food and bars, and a few places in Switzerland.

I had the special now Smokey think with brisket. Overall disappointing. The Pattie was OK, but nothing special. Everything else was pretty bland. I didn't really have any smokey taste. Roll was plain. Was served like warm.

Tried were the most disappointing. Basically what I imagine McDs are (only had 2 or 3 kids in my life, none in the last 15 years). Basic tastlies processed think greasy fries. They were hot and crispy to their favor. Just completely disappointing compared to the thick real chips I get from 5 guys, or the great fries you get from the likes of Smash burger, or the while made chips at my local place in Switzerland.

At 15 quid or was.also one of the most expensive burgers I have ever had. My local place here is a little more expensive but infinitely better in every dimension, and we are talking Swiss prices.

I don't know what 5 guys is like in the UK, this thread makes me think it is not as good as the US. But I can tell you that on a scale put of w0, this Bryon would be a 4/10 compared to 8/10 for 5 guys, and 5 guys is much cheaper.

Won't try again. Next week I'm in loan and hope to find a meatliqor

Caporegime
I think it's been about 8 years since my last McDonalds, and that was an ultimate last resort when in a foreign country (with no English text anywhere). I cannot remotely understand why people pay that much for absolute crap.

The same, last time was in an airport after long flights with delays and everything was closed so it was.eithee McDs or go without food for 18 hours. It was vuke and made me feel.sick

Soldato
I'd recommend meat liquor, patty and bun or honest burger, honest seem to be spreading out pretty rapidly so you shouldn't be far from one of those three :)

anyone tried bleecker street burger, they seem to get some really mixed reviews...

I've followed Bleecker on Instagram for a while and a lot of the 'foodies' I follow always seem to have really positive things to say about the burger but that could just be an Instagram thing if you get what I mean.

Problem for me is I'm only in London maybe twice a year, which means if I'm getting burgers I'll always go to Patty and Bun just because of how much I enjoy it. In turn that means I don't try new places because if I end up disappointed it feels like a waste especially when I could have just gone to P&B.

I really like Meat Liquor as well, always recommend if someones never been. Their fries aren't the best (they're good but not great IMO) but the burgers are really nice and their onion rings are massive and really tasty too.

Soldato
fell into my P&B yesterday in Hackney. Despite being a huge burger fan not had a P&B in 1.5 years

Did not disappoint, I have had a fair few burgers in that time and a lot of them i rate highly, however until you go back to something you forgot about do you realize how good they are.

I have a P&B craving now, its 68 miles from home. One day i will go and get a take out with the mrs

bJN

bJN

Soldato
In London this week on a mini-moon with the now-wife; finally tried Patty & Bun.

All I will say is... I'm glad I don't live near one, I could happily have one of those every day. I had the Smokey Robinson with an extra patty (I mistakenly thought their patties were small, boy was I wrong!) and she had the special, which was satay chicken with extra peanut stuff, and we shared some brisket fries. Both enjoyed my one more, so much so she ended up having about half my burger! Cheeky sod! So naturally we'll just have to go back again - to date the best burger I've ever had :D

Soldato
Ooh I may have to check that place out as we are gonna have a weekend in London soon and I love me a good burger!

Best burger I've had to date is the Lockjaw Burger from Grillstock.

Not my picture but you get an idea of what it's like. It was about ~£15 but the Grillstock in Bristol has been replaced with something similar and I haven't eaten there yet.
grillstock.jpg

Two patties, pulled pork, beef brisket cheese and all the trimmings. Ruined me.

Caporegime
So I don't normally go for any of the fancy McDonald's burgers (Big Tasty excepted!) I tried the Carolina Stack and it was pretty good. Two patties, cheese, bacon lettuce and some gold barbecue sauce. The sauce was good, a very slight hint of heat and I enjoyed it. I'd have it again.

Caporegime
So I don't normally go for any of the fancy McDonald's burgers (Big Tasty excepted!) I tried the Carolina Stack and it was pretty good. Two patties, cheese, bacon lettuce and some gold barbecue sauce. The sauce was good, a very slight hint of heat and I enjoyed it. I'd have it again.
The new chicken one sounds good too. Chicken selects, spicy ketchup, smoked cheese, coleslaw, jalapeños and lettuce in cornbread bun. Oh yes :cool:

Associate

The New York is a pretty good burger imo when that is out.

Of others mentioned above, had a Patty & Bun, Honest Burger and Bleecker Recently.

Of those would go Patty and Bun top, Honest 2nd, Bleecker 3rd.

Patty and Bun was very good, had the Ari Gold with Fries with chicken skin mayo...very nice. Cooked perfectly, a good size portion.

Honest was also very good, just didnt feel like it was as special as others say, but each to our own!

Bleecker was a disappointment for me. Small burger, the bun was really not great compared to the others, just seemed like a seseme bun like you would pick up in a supermarket. Fries were small also considering the price.

Have had Leon's offerings also, wouldnt go burger there in future but their Chicken Satay box and Thai Green Curry box are excellent. Their menu for kids is great value too, better then a happy meal! I know i'm steering away from burgers, but for quick service places in London current favourites are Coco di Mama, and Yolk in New Street Square. Well worth a visit :)

Back
Top Bottom