Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Not only do we have air con in our office, we're allowed to wear shorts :p:cool: it's lovely having some breeze down there :D

Back onto bikes, my VFR needs a new rear tyre (and the front will be getting changed too as it's horrible when leant over, I bloody hate bridgestone tyres!!) - has anyone run M7RR's or Rosso III's for a decent mileage?

They're the same price as angel GT's on Oponeo and I know Angel GT's are good in all weather and last a decent amount of miles, but I sort of fancy a change? They'll be used through winter too so good wet weather/cold weather grip is important.

The M7RRs I installed a few weeks ago have 3000 miles after my eurotrip, front is around 50% worn and rear 75% - that was hard riding around twisties mainly. They are superb tyres and predictable in the wet.

Mate on his S1000R squared off his rear Rosso III in 4k miles (it really needed changing around 3.5k), I reckon another 1000 miles on the rear M7RR and I'd be looking for a new one too if I carried on riding like I did the past few weeks ;)

Soldato
M7RR seems like a bad choice in winter/wet no?... if you want mezzler it seems 01 gets rave reviews. Got to say I really like the Z8 on the K, kinda wish I'd waited for the 01 but I'm not skilled enough to be able to tell the difference tbh!
Not really, they're basically one level up from the Angel GT, a bit more sporty and slightly less longevity. Designed to go fast in all weather conditions.

The M7RRs I installed a few weeks ago have 3000 miles after my eurotrip, front is around 50% worn and rear 75% - that was hard riding around twisties mainly. They are superb tyres and predictable in the wet.

Mate on his S1000R squared off his rear Rosso III in 4k miles (it really needed changing around 3.5k), I reckon another 1000 miles on the rear M7RR and I'd be looking for a new one too if I carried on riding like I did the past few weeks ;)

I'll be doing the 3700 mile Alps trip on the VFR so might have worn them out by the end of that! :D if I can get 5-6k+ out of a rear I'll be happy.

Soldato
Why aren't you doing it on the tuono? I thought that's what it was for?
That's not its sole purpose, if it was there's lots of much better bikes for the job!

I won't be going on the Tuono for a few reasons:

The (just replaced!) fuel pump appears to have died at the weekend, only priming 1 out of every 30 turn ons, so I'll need to drain the tank and send that back under warranty. Also when running it's not fuelling correctly.

Some ape of a mechanic has, at some point in the past, torqued the fork pinch bolts far too high resulting in one of the ohlins fork bottoms starting to crack, a common issue, every ohlins service place I called knows exactly the issue.

The fuel pump fix should be a few quid to fix (and a bit of time) but the fork issue is £300 to have a new fork bottom fitted, and that along with the other bits I need for the trip (tank bag, leathers etc) would have meant i would be right on the line for budget for the trip.

Doing it on the VFR means I can SORN the tuono when the MOT runs out in August, saving me £300 in insurance, £150 on a tank bag, and I'll also save £100 in fuel on the trip, and when it comes down to it I don't know if I can trust the tuono to do 3700 miles in 2 weeks with no issues... :(

I'll get the fork leg done over winter, and probably look at the fuel pump in the next few weeks.

I love the bike when it's working but it's annoying to the point of me starting to hate the bike when it's not working. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll be in a much better situation money wise come this time next year so something newer could be in it's place...

TL: DR - it's an Aprilia, the VFR is more reliable/cheaper/more comfortable :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I know - it's night on perfect as a road bike - just the right amount of power and torque, brilliant handling, looks that never fail to start a conversation... :D If it was reliable it would have been a bike I kept for years, but that's looking doubtful now.

But I've done about 3000 miles on in and had 2 lots of fuel pump issues and the fork issues, that's not great is it. Compare that to the 3 Hondas I've had over the last 3 years - probably close to 35k miles (and one of them had been chucked down the road twice), zero breakdowns or issues that were the bikes fault (wear and tear, age etc).

I'd buy italian again, nothing comes close to the character of a big v-twin, and I definitely need a big v-twin in my life, whether the next one is italian, or austrian, or... erm... yeah. Italian or Austrian it is then!

Soldato
60lbft give or take 1 or 2lbft. The Tuono is 86lbft, so a considerable difference, nearly 50% more.

Your S1000R has almost the same as the Tuono (83lbft) but then it's got 160bhp vs 139bhp.

Soldato
That's not its sole purpose, if it was there's lots of much better bikes for the job!

I won't be going on the Tuono for a few reasons:

The (just replaced!) fuel pump appears to have died at the weekend, only priming 1 out of every 30 turn ons, so I'll need to drain the tank and send that back under warranty. Also when running it's not fuelling correctly.

Some ape of a mechanic has, at some point in the past, torqued the fork pinch bolts far too high resulting in one of the ohlins fork bottoms starting to crack, a common issue, every ohlins service place I called knows exactly the issue.

The fuel pump fix should be a few quid to fix (and a bit of time) but the fork issue is £300 to have a new fork bottom fitted, and that along with the other bits I need for the trip (tank bag, leathers etc) would have meant i would be right on the line for budget for the trip.

Doing it on the VFR means I can SORN the tuono when the MOT runs out in August, saving me £300 in insurance, £150 on a tank bag, and I'll also save £100 in fuel on the trip, and when it comes down to it I don't know if I can trust the tuono to do 3700 miles in 2 weeks with no issues... :(

I'll get the fork leg done over winter, and probably look at the fuel pump in the next few weeks.

I love the bike when it's working but it's annoying to the point of me starting to hate the bike when it's not working. :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'll be in a much better situation money wise come this time next year so something newer could be in it's place...

TL: DR - it's an Aprilia, the VFR is more reliable/cheaper/more comfortable :D

You were warned! But at least you're now a lifetime member of the Aprilia 'it's all about Italian passion and character' club!

Soldato
M7RR seems like a bad choice in winter/wet no?... if you want mezzler it seems 01 gets rave reviews. Got to say I really like the Z8 on the K, kinda wish I'd waited for the 01 but I'm not skilled enough to be able to tell the difference tbh!
Plenty good enough in the wet, the best tyres of this type I have used in the wet anyway, not great in really cold conditions but I managed on them all winter.

Man of Honour
I know - it's night on perfect as a road bike - just the right amount of power and torque, brilliant handling, looks that never fail to start a conversation... :D If it was reliable it would have been a bike I kept for years, but that's looking doubtful now.

But I've done about 3000 miles on in and had 2 lots of fuel pump issues and the fork issues, that's not great is it. Compare that to the 3 Hondas I've had over the last 3 years - probably close to 35k miles (and one of them had been chucked down the road twice), zero breakdowns or issues that were the bikes fault (wear and tear, age etc).

I'd buy italian again, nothing comes close to the character of a big v-twin, and I definitely need a big v-twin in my life, whether the next one is italian, or austrian, or... erm... yeah. Italian or Austrian it is then!
To be fair, I'm not sure you can really blame the fork leg on the bike. Give a monkey with a spanner any fork pinch bolt and they'll crack the lower if they go full special when tightening it up. IIRC the torque value for mine is basically just nipped up.

Soldato
To be fair, I'm not sure you can really blame the fork leg on the bike. Give a monkey with a spanner any fork pinch bolt and they'll crack the lower if they go full special when tightening it up. IIRC the torque value for mine is basically just nipped up.
Very true, in fact the things that have gone wrong, none have been Aprilia parts!!
You don't know what italian reliability is like until you've tried to set up the carbs and valves on an old Ducati with desmo valves :p

I do draw the line at old air cooled ducatis, the modern water cooled stuff is ok but the old stuff must be a nightmare to keep going!

I'm gonna go the to Yamaha dark side tour at box hill at the weekend, I'll get a test ride on an R1 and an XT1200 super tenere. :D

Back
Top Bottom