Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
The old one of them was decidedly average but the new model looks a lot better. Although I'd just get a gsx-s1000, I test ride one a couple of years back - so easy to ride and smooth, plenty of low down torque too.

Man of Honour
I've avoided test riding anything because my wallet just can't take the abuse I know it would get when I fall for something much more expensive than my current bike.

I have visions of it being like when I done my first days training on a 650 and then hated my once loved 125 until I finally moved on :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Question: I should get around £3,500 for my car. Is it best to dump this down as a deposit on a new/nearly new bike and get the rest on finance or just look at older bikes?

This'll be my only transport so want something reliable that isn't 8 years old and likely to need stuff doing in the immediate future. Likewise, I don't want to be paying finance for the next few years just to get something decent.

Looking at a SV650 or thereabouts, so not expecting to need to sell a kidney.

Edit: worth saying I already have gear

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ok, I'm confused.. what age bracket are the pointy ones? I was thinking no older than 2015 really (2 years)

Associate
I've avoided test riding anything because my wallet just can't take the abuse I know it would get when I fall for something much more expensive than my current bike.

I have visions of it being like when I done my first days training on a 650 and then hated my once loved 125 until I finally moved on :D

Haha. Yeah, that moment when your previously adequate "does the job" 125 becomes a strange miniature toy like thing as you ride it back from bike school.

Soldato
Haha. Yeah, that moment when your previously adequate "does the job" 125 becomes a strange miniature toy like thing as you ride it back from bike school.
It's the same on the first litre bike ride when you realise what a REALLY fast bike is like :D

I've only done 3000 or so miles on a litre bike and don't think I could go back to a 600 or 750cc.

Man of Honour
I know a few people who have stepped back down from big power bikes to something a bit more sedate purely because they felt they couldn't really use any of the power without ending up in a place that would lose them their licence or their life out on public roads.

Soldato
I know a few people who have stepped back down from big power bikes to something a bit more sedate purely because they felt they couldn't really use any of the power without ending up in a place that would lose them their licence or their life out on public roads.
I do think the current 200bhp sportsbikes are too much for the road, christ I find myself sitting at close to 3 figures on the VFR with 110 bhp a bit too easy sometimes, it's the fairing.

Naked bikes are different, as you get the wind blast to keep the speeds down a little. TBH the current supernakeds are so much better for 'road' riding and they're not as mental fast.

Soldato
Having a fairing makes a lot of difference, it's why I'd never trust myself on a big power sportsbike. 130-140bhp, OK but over 160-170bhp, nah.

My VFR is actually more comfortable cruisng at 90(ish :o) vs 60!

Soldato
What sat navs are worth looking at? I like them look of the tom Tom's but a few different models.
Not if you own a decent smart phone.

I bought a TomTom Rider V which was great 3 years ago, it also comes with lifetime maps which saves £15 a year. But it's big and bulky and isn't easily transferable to other bikes.

These days I'd prefer to use the TomTom app on my phone with some sort of ram mount. only reason I haven't is because I paid over £300 for my tomtom and want to get my moneys worth!

Back
Top Bottom