Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Ah man that sucks. Insurance is such a con.

Yup, it is. I ride the same bike, same route, same miles per year, same everything. My bike has lost around £1200 worth of value since I bought it which is nothing on a bike. However, my insurance has gone from £900 a year down to £112 a year comprehensive. Why!?

Crazy.

Man of Honour
It'll be a 1.3l 57 plate Astra. Simply because my parents have offered it to me as they want to change cars.
So any money I'd save by getting slightly cheaper insurance would almost certainly be eaten up with the cost of buying anything else.

Soldato
It'll be a 1.3l 57 plate Astra. Simply because my parents have offered it to me as they want to change cars.
So any money I'd save by getting slightly cheaper insurance would almost certainly be eaten up with the cost of buying anything else.
How many miles are you whacking on the policy?
Also, as daft as it may seem, having a black box for the first year will drop the price quite a bit. That is what I did anyway. :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
@tom_e A few quick tips on how to save yourself a bit of cash on insurance, completely legal. :p

-Raise the excess to maximum
-Select Road instead of driveway
-Try different job titles
-Try to put someone elderly (a female is better) as the main driver and add yourself on
-BlackBox

I'm currently using uSwitch, as lately confused seems to be buggy and doesn't show all the insurers that I get on uSwitch. lol

Man of Honour
Done them all, Admiral 10 month bonus accelerator with black box is the best I can do at around £1.1k IIRC. So it's not even a full years insurance just as an extra kick in the teeth.

Associate
My other half had to contest 2 black box alerts from Direct Line, they threatened to kill her policy immediately on due to uneven readings - The car hadn't been driven in a week and a half, the battery was going flat and they wouldn't budge.

Soldato
When I was 18 yo, I paid £1009 for a 1.6 Civic. Now I'm 20 and it's 1400 for the same car. I can get insured on Toyota Yaris 1.3 for 800, I think I'll go with that... the less I spend on car and insurance the faster I can save up for a trackbike and trackdays.

Phone Direct Line & put both your parents on the policy. Was a few hundred less than anything I could find on GoCompare etc. for my car.

Now enough car talk. :p

Soldato
Oh are you guys doing your bromance trip to the Alps tomorrow? Have a great time guys, post lots of pics!

Yep! :D 2 of us meeting tomorrow then another 2 following on a couple days behind and the last guy arriving at Kreeeee's the same time as the rest. 3000+ miles, in total, looking forward to it!!
Enjoy!

Looking forward to the pictures :D

Cheers, there will be lots!!

Back
Top Bottom