Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
What's an acceptable time to wait for an insurance job?

I dropped the bike off at the dealership I bought it from 5 weeks ago. I phone them up on Monday and they still haven't assessed it. I get that they're busy but still, 5 weeks!?
They need to assess it before insurance will approve the repair work. So not only do I need to still wait for the approval from insurance themselves which will no doubt take weeks, the dealership still need to repair the damn thing.

Am I being unreasonable thinking that 5 weeks (just to assess some minor damage) is bad!?

(The damage isn't too bad, fairing damage, snapped shifter and damage to the gear forks - probably the biggest job. Most of it is aesthetic.)

Soldato
My local dealer isn't taking bookings for anything for the next 6 weeks, so I can see how this might take longer than expected. Even then, I'd expect this to be done more promptly. Doubtless the dealer wants to do the work on this when all their other discretionary work is completed. One week lead time in their busiest time of the year is not likely though. If people are throwing their toys out of the pram at that stage then maybe grow up a bit and move out of the pram - maybe onto a bike? :)

Soldato
One week lead time in their busiest time of the year is not likely though. If people are throwing their toys out of the pram at that stage then maybe grow up a bit and move out of the pram - maybe onto a bike? :)

Nah I wouldn't do. I've been through the process before and the entire bike was repaired in a month. The damage was far more significant as well. I would have thought 2-4 weeks is pretty standard though. 5 weeks is getting on.

Soldato
You should have asked but five weeks is to long considering you bought it from them but depends on the dealer if big then your just another number.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well fully committed now. Got a jacket , boots and gloves so far. Not even done CBT yet.

CBT 14th sep then theory the day after. Guess it will be handy collecting my own gear over time whilst getting the licence :)

Will have to pass it all now I’ve invested money into it :)

Associate
Well thats a chalet and ferry booked for a week in Normandy for the 75th Anniversary of D-Day next year :)

All thats left now is to book a Travelodge for the night before the outgoing ferry and one again for the day we return.

They are bringing in 30 Dakotas to drop 750 men and women all using WW2 standard equipment on the various Drop Zones used on the day, gonna be quite a sight.

Soldato

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

How long would you expect that to last?

£430 would be a lot of money for 1 year of all round riding. That sort of cash I’d want at least 3 years out of it :eek:

Soldato
Paid £370 for my jacket and trousers (RST Ventilator) about 4 years ago and it's only just started leaking now so for £430 on a jacket alone I'd expect it to last at least 5 years +++

Back
Top Bottom