Biker's Cafe Chatroom

• Thread starter Thread starter IC3
  • Start date Start date
If that bike checks out as described then yes a great bike for very little money. Sometimes bargains are out there. My brother recently got a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja for £2k and it's near immaculate.

So finally decided it's worth taking care of my bike in terms of cleaning / drying after seeing the tolls of last winters riding.

Does anyone have any recommendations ref dryers? The bruhl ones look good but damn pricey considering what they are so wondering if there are cheaper options that people swear by?

Bah, my bike was overdue it's first MOT and couldn't get it in until yesterday, plus thought I would get it serviced at the same time.
Went out to start it up and just clicking from the ignition. Left it a minute and then tried again and it started up, but engine management light came on and FI fault on display.
Rode the 3 miles to the dealership (who were carrying out the MOT) and thought the light would reset if it was battery related.
Bike is a 2021 Suzuki GSX-S750S and has only completed around 2.7k in those 3 years. Not heard back from the dealership yet, so just hoping it's a dodgy battery as it wasn't on an optimate.
Bloody typical.

Bah, my bike was overdue it's first MOT and couldn't get it in until yesterday, plus thought I would get it serviced at the same time.
Went out to start it up and just clicking from the ignition. Left it a minute and then tried again and it started up, but engine management light came on and FI fault on display.
Rode the 3 miles to the dealership (who were carrying out the MOT) and thought the light would reset if it was battery related.
Bike is a 2021 Suzuki GSX-S750S and has only completed around 2.7k in those 3 years. Not heard back from the dealership yet, so just hoping it's a dodgy battery as it wasn't on an optimate.
Bloody typical.
It will almost certainly be due to the low battery voltage but most of the time it takes a couple of non eventful heat cycles for the management light to clear or it can be forced to clear using an OBD adaptor

I probably won't do it but I'm wondering whether it's worth riding into work on the two days a week I go into the office (secure underground parking). It would save time and is a lot cheaper than the train, although getting ready would take longer of course and I would need to add commuting to the insurance.

Tiger 800
In along the A3 from Surrey to Putney Bridge
30 mins approx
Heated grips and heated jacket
Ugly topbox already available

Has anyone commuted into London on a bike regularly, especially winter? Did it drive you mad? Was it like riding in the hell dimension? Did you freeze to death? I can't "suck it and see" without first adding commuting to my insurance which is a slight upfront cost.

I used to do a 100 mile round trip 5 days a week on my SV650S.

Get the right kit and it's relatively comfortable but that doesn't change the feeling a doom knowing you've got to ride out into snow/ice if that's the weather.

It will almost certainly be due to the low battery voltage but most of the time it takes a couple of non eventful heat cycles for the management light to clear or it can be forced to clear using an OBD adaptor
I have had news that it was an old error code from the crank position sensor, but the battery was marginal at 12.1v and this is probably what threw the code up.
They have charged the battery, whilst it is with them being serviced and MOT'd.
Bit annoyed with them, it was booked in yesterday. When I dropped it off they said, is there any chance you could pick up tomorrow morning as we are very busy?
I said yes, but at 11am called them as hadn't heard anything back. Got greeted with a "it's just gone for it's MOT, so won't be back until later this afternoon. Are you ok to pick it up then?"
I told them that whilst the morning was acceptable, the afternoon is out of bounds due to other priorities. I am now away until next week, they were Ah, err, sorry we are very busy, when would you be able to collect.
Told them would be next Thursday, but I wasn't happy that I had been messed around. I booked the bloody thing in early August and that was the earliest date they had.

I probably won't do it but I'm wondering whether it's worth riding into work on the two days a week I go into the office (secure underground parking). It would save time and is a lot cheaper than the train, although getting ready would take longer of course and I would need to add commuting to the insurance.

Tiger 800
30 mins approx

Has anyone commuted into London on a bike regularly, especially winter? Did it drive you mad? Was it like riding in the hell dimension? Did you freeze to death? I can't "suck it and see" without first adding commuting to my insurance which is a slight upfront cost.

I ride mine in at least once a week, usually twice. It costs me less than £6 a day, but if I rode a bit more like an adult that would be £3. Versus £40 a day for the train. I don't mind it at all tbh, and the fact that I just blitz past any traffic is worth it. It's also door to door, no faffing about with trains and tubes. I do Godalming to South Ken in about an hour, but that's definitely pushing it. Add 20 mins if hypermiling. The only issue is rain and cold, but honestly the trade off in terms of time gained and the independence from leaves on tracks / strikes / protesters lying in roads / whatever is absolutely worth it.

I literally do your exact commute, however I go past Putney. I wouldn't expect your ride to take longer than 35-40 mins at most.

Do it, just make sure you gear up for it, the rain can be a bummer.

I ride mine in at least once a week, usually twice. It costs me less than £6 a day, but if I rode a bit more like an adult that would be £3. Versus £40 a day for the train. I don't mind it at all tbh, and the fact that I just blitz past any traffic is worth it. It's also door to door, no faffing about with trains and tubes. I do Godalming to South Ken in about an hour, but that's definitely pushing it. Add 20 mins if hypermiling. The only issue is rain and cold, but honestly the trade off in terms of time gained and the independence from leaves on tracks / strikes / protesters lying in roads / whatever is absolutely worth it.

I literally do your exact commute, however I go past Putney. I wouldn't expect your ride to take longer than 35-40 mins at most.

Do it, just make sure you gear up for it, the rain can be a bummer.
Thanks, Yes it would take me about 30 mins to ride door to door, maybe a little more when busy. The cost difference isn't as stark for me. The cold and rain is a worry but I get cold and wet in winter walking to the station or waiting on train platforms.

Thanks, Yes it would take me about 30 mins to ride door to door, maybe a little more when busy. The cost difference isn't as stark for me. The cold and rain is a worry but I get cold and wet in winter walking to the station or waiting on train platforms.

What time would you be commuting? This morning at 5:30 when we got in the car, we were extremely grateful for my heated seats and windscreen. 2deg, dark, ice everywhere. Now it's 7am and it's lovely out, if a bit chilly still. Might be worth waiting until spring to give it a go if the cold is going to bother you, but then this won't matter as much if you leave the house a bit later.

Last edited:
What time would you be commuting? This morning at 5:30 when we got in the car, we were extremely grateful for my heated seats and windscreen. 2deg, dark, ice everywhere. Now it's 7am and it's lovely out, if a bit chilly still. Might be worth waiting until spring to give it a go if the cold is going to bother you, but then this won't matter as much if you leave the house a bit later.
Probably around 7:30am. If I find traffic isn't too bad then maybe even 8am.

Yes it makes more sense to wait until spring, so I probably won't do it right now. I might do the run one early Saturday morning when not working to see how it feels.

5:30am? You need a new job :D

Reposting here as I stupidly (and ironically) added it on 'Just Stop Oil' thread.

I have not heard anything bad about the ZZR1200 but they are not many about. The one below looks cosmetically bad due to age and mileage but the price is enticing.
Surely a lot of bike for the money.

Kawasaki ZZR1200
TFIHuxl.jpg

I own the 6 & the 12 little money the 12 & will take you to the moon and back with out a problem.

My goodness, just done some digging as its nearly 2 months since I submitted my Helmet and Leathers claim, and it seems the appointed outfit for it (Roger Rich & Co) have a habit of dragging things out for months on end or not responding to emails etc.

Was hoping to have everything sorted by now, but this is the last bit of the puzzle - I'm reluctant to phone them again, as I'll proba ly get the exact same response as the last few times I called; I may see if Hastings CEO level can assist...

It's certainly a lesson for next time, if I see any part of a policy that mentions them, I'll avoid like the plague!

Tiger 800
30 mins approx

Used to do Milton Keynes to Canary Wharf in all weathers on a Tiger 800, can't think if a better bike for it,

Get hand guards if you don't have them - helps the heated grips a lot. Drybag your stuff inside your topbox, they aren't waterproof at 80 in the rain. Never forget a cloth, visor wipe, spray etc - road grime builds up fast. Maintain your helmet, the weather kills them - lube rubbers, clean vents etc. Dry feet and crotch are the key to warmth.

Might think of more..

Used to do Milton Keynes to Canary Wharf in all weathers on a Tiger 800, can't think if a better bike for it,

Get hand guards if you don't have them - helps the heated grips a lot. Drybag your stuff inside your topbox, they aren't waterproof at 80 in the rain. Never forget a cloth, visor wipe, spray etc - road grime builds up fast. Maintain your helmet, the weather kills them - lube rubbers, clean vents etc. Dry feet and crotch are the key to warmth.

Might think of more..
Thanks, very useful. I've bought some hand guards and will fit them when I get a free afternoon.

can anyone reccomend some its to clean my bike with.

ive had my 125 2 years and prob washed it once, its been fully neglected appart from chain lubing.

just dropped it in for a service and it needs some extra stuff doing to it due to grime and corrosion so its given me a kick to look after it more.

Hi guys,
I have come across a Honda Blackbird for sale on market place. Does check out the seller to be genuine. It has not run since early 2022, but the seller had it start in May this year. MOT history looks good on it and it's a Carb model.

What are the things I should be looking out for please. It's not too far from me hence I decided to at least view it. Below are the things I can think of at the top of my head.

- Carbs would need cleaning.
- New brake pads and discs perhaps.
- Fork seals.
- New Stator and Relay

Would it be just a run away from it situation?

Decent hard wearing bikes I had a 97 model for a couple of years. To be fair I think the only issue on mine was the rear shock had totally collapsed, easily sorted in an afternoon with a £250 YSS shock and an afternoon in the garden and I think the choke cable was a bit sticky but a lube up sorted that out.

Other than that the engine is bomb proof really so it's more just general bodywork wear and tear bits and as you say the stator/regulator is a pretty common bit to go but it's generally already been done on most bikes now.

The only other thing to be very wary of is how quickly, quietly and smoothly they get up to triple digits. Mine left me with 6 points as a reminder :o :D

Decent hard wearing bikes I had a 97 model for a couple of years. To be fair I think the only issue on mine was the rear shock had totally collapsed, easily sorted in an afternoon with a £250 YSS shock and an afternoon in the garden and I think the choke cable was a bit sticky but a lube up sorted that out.

Other than that the engine is bomb proof really so it's more just general bodywork wear and tear bits and as you say the stator/regulator is a pretty common bit to go but it's generally already been done on most bikes now.

The only other thing to be very wary of is how quickly, quietly and smoothly they get up to triple digits. Mine left me with 6 points as a reminder :o :D
Thank you Tom.. I will report back once I have a check this weekend. The seller did mention it was/is on trickle charge.

Back
Top Bottom