• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Pull the trigger on a 7800X3D or will it perhaps drop a little more? Still just under a week till BF... Decisions decisions

It won’t be dropping more as AMDs Black Friday CPU deals started at midnight last night hence it been £329 though it’s supposedly to be £349, my error so best to order now and quick. ;)

It's sure tempting, but the new gen AMD cpus are right around the corner.
I was also thinking that, but tbh there's always something new coming out in this space. At some point we just have to accept that and just commit to a purchase.
Either buy the fresh new thing at early adopters prices and deal with the lack of info and detail on support or buy something that's been out a while from a good deal before/near the new stuff dropping.

I know when I did my previous build, I bought a 4790k a few months before Skylake launched. I did wait for RX 390 to launch before buying GPU, only to find it was similar price/perf to a 970 and not worth waiting for. I'm glad I did that build then, since it was the last time I feel we had things good with pricing of all major parts. Even the same Noctua CPU cooler I bought back then has increased in price by what feel's like a few dozen quid since.

I will say that from what I've seen, AMDs 3D V-cache CPUs are pretty good value over time and manage to keep up with newer releases. Even the last gen 5800X3D is still a great upgrade option for folks still on AM4, who want to keep up with modern performance requirements. In that respect, I'm confident that a 7800X3D will last me a good many years.

However it is a bit of a shame we don't have similar in the GPU space. I used to run a 980ti for 1440p60. I doubt it would manage to keep up nowadays though. I stopped playing games on PC, due to GPU not being able to keep up at native 1440p resolution. And as many have discussed... no GPUs worth buying atm. The one decent deal I saw on a 6950xt has sold through. That deal made the £500+ 7800xts look like a poor buy tbh.

Yeah, I've been looking to upgrade my 6700XT for quite some time, but I don't think i'll bother, the NV cards are a joke full stop, and AMD are offering me a 6800XT Super, for £500...

Nope.

It is a PC. How can it not offer a PC experience? That doesn't make sense.

If you get a dock for it, it is a very capable PC. If you don't like the Linux desktop you can install Windows 11 (or any other operating system).

O_o if you are going to sit with it in a dock. Just get a console that is priced near enough the same with HDR support / 2k and 4k in several AAA games. Struggling to think of any PC exclusives that I would need a steam deck in docking mode for.

Yep the graphics cards "discount" is poor as I'd like a Sapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX to finish off my build
I’m now not going to upgrade from 7800xt at 1440p till a game I want to play desperately breaks it. :cry:

I can’t see any future value GPUs anymore and will wait till the above happens before being forced to upgrade or pivot over to Lenovo Go/Steam deck or consoles to get my gaming fix.

Last edited:
O_o if you are going to sit with it in a dock. Just get a console that is priced near enough the same with HDR support / 2k and 4k in several AAA games. Struggling to think of any PC exclusives that I would need a steam deck in docking mode for.

You can use the Steam Deck as a proper desktop PC for things other than games. Can't do that with a console. The OLED can do HDR too.

Last edited:
I was also thinking that, but tbh there's always something new coming out in this space. At some point we just have to accept that and just commit to a purchase.
Either buy the fresh new thing at early adopters prices and deal with the lack of info and detail on support or buy something that's been out a while from a good deal before/near the new stuff dropping.

I know when I did my previous build, I bought a 4790k a few months before Skylake launched. I did wait for RX 390 to launch before buying GPU, only to find it was similar price/perf to a 970 and not worth waiting for. I'm glad I did that build then, since it was the last time I feel we had things good with pricing of all major parts. Even the same Noctua CPU cooler I bought back then has increased in price by what feel's like a few dozen quid since.

I will say that from what I've seen, AMDs 3D V-cache CPUs are pretty good value over time and manage to keep up with newer releases. Even the last gen 5800X3D is still a great upgrade option for folks still on AM4, who want to keep up with modern performance requirements. In that respect, I'm confident that a 7800X3D will last me a good many years.

However it is a bit of a shame we don't have similar in the GPU space. I used to run a 980ti for 1440p60. I doubt it would manage to keep up nowadays though. I stopped playing games on PC, due to GPU not being able to keep up at native 1440p resolution. And as many have discussed... no GPUs worth buying atm. The one decent deal I saw on a 6950xt has sold through. That deal made the £500+ 7800xts look like a poor buy tbh.
Yea I went for a 6950xt as the upgrade was justified for 4k.
Games I play dont need the latest and sell of the 6700 off set it even more of the cost.

Yup I ordered quickly soon as I saw the price. Didn't realise it was a mistake lol

Am glad you guys got one, in short I set the price to pretty much what our cost is will all the rebate from AMD applied, as such though we can sell at £329.99 its essentially break even for us after company running cost.

Do we think we'll see any more discounts on 4070's on Friday/Monday? Need to buy as i've moved my 3060 on. I really want an MSI card, but the ASUS dual OC has piqued my interest but i'll kick myself if I shoot too soon...

Last edited:
So far the deals on GPUs have been pretty much insignificant 2-5% territory :s, especially nVidia ones - nVidia on their own store even putting the onus on 3rd parties for the deals LOL... not surprised though and going to take a fairly unrealistic level of deal to get me to spend on the 4000 series, which is annoying as I don't have a budget as such but I won't pay current prices.

So far the deals on GPUs have been pretty much insignificant 2-5% territory :s, especially nVidia ones - nVidia on their own store even putting the onus on 3rd parties for the deals LOL... not surprised though and going to take a fairly unrealistic level of deal to get me to spend on the 4000 series, which is annoying as I don't have a budget as such but I won't pay current prices.
Ocuk have a 7900xtx for £900 now. Not a terrible price? Nvidia just aren't in the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom