• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

I'm down for speculation and debate but some of you need to calm down as your acting like power consumption, specs and pricing leaks are confirmed as legit.
lol heres one doing the rounds.. its going to be a 2-slot air-cooled card with 600w rated peak power consumption

Last edited:
It will depend how much the architecture will steer towards RT/PT, favoring those more. SER I believe, can be up to 25% performance improvement.
If you push too hard towards PT (and 25% is nothing here as it barely would increase number of rays, it would need to be orders of magnitude higher to really replace raster) you will run into raster bottleneck or CPU one (as CPU still very important to current RT/PT implementations). Architecture has to be balanced and currently it feels like it is in 4k series. I expect them to just present some new AI based magic that won't work on 4k series for some reason and will be the main selling point (and it will take 2+ years to even see it in any game).

Wouldn't factor in the D just yet, even the 4090D is specced higher than the 5080:

RLREuLr.jpeg

The mem bandwidth and bus width speak for themselves really It's not like the core architecture is very different to gain performance via efficiency either here.
It's just more transistors for more power use in 5090, unlikely to see any other big improvements.

It might be splitting hairs but I think whether a £2k card is ‘value for money’ is a slightly different question than whether it’s ’a lot of money’ - it’s a different sort of personal analysis!

You can buy a lot of things with £2k - it is a lot of money in that sense, IMO. Even a billionaire could recognise that and opine on whether there is value compared to other things he could spend his money on, factoring in how important shiny graphics are personally.

But if you’re a billionaire then its cost in isolation is irrelevant. Ditto, if you’ve got moths coming out of your pockets, then ‘value for money’ doesn’t get a look in as you’re already priced out.

Basically, everyone’s sense of value will be different based on their own financial circumstances.

I'm sure someone can come up with a way to objectively value a 4090, though realistically it's hard to say what it's "really worth".
The objective way to measure it is: what benefit do I as a buyer get from this purchase? If it brings the buyer joy and allows them to indulge the hobbies they love, then it's worth it to the buyer.

The loss/depreciation from a halo card every 2 years is insignificant to me when making sure I can get the most out of PC and VR gaming.

The objective way to measure it is: what benefit do I as a buyer get from this purchase? If it brings the buyer joy and allows them to indulge the hobbies they love, then it's worth it to the buyer.

I don’t know about anyone else, but that sounds subjective rather than objective i.e. feels over facts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom