BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Excuse my lack of knowledge, interested in knowing more about BMW Warranty.

Say in the near future I wanted to buy something like a 2008 135, 335 etc, can you still buy warranty from BMW for these older models? If yes, is it still worth doing?

You can, yes, through BMW Insured Warranty. It's an insurance policy provided by Allianz and is considered a step up from Warranty Wise and their ilk. One thing to bear in mind is that there is a jump in premium when the vehicle is over 60k miles, but if you pay for the warranty monthly and start the policy under 60k miles, the cost will remain the same.

Soldato
Excuse my lack of knowledge, interested in knowing more about BMW Warranty.

Say in the near future I wanted to buy something like a 2008 135, 335 etc, can you still buy warranty from BMW for these older models? If yes, is it still worth doing?

Yes, note there will be a 1 month moratorium on claims at the start of the new warranty period (unless you buy from an authorised (AUC) BMW dealer, in which case you get minimum 12 month warranty, which you can then continue after the 12 months is up).

BMW have refused to budge. Tey've offered a discount down to about £1k but have categorically stated it will not be covered under warranty.

Take it higher up the food chain, that's unacceptable. Plus they offer 20% discounts for services (a letter I received recently) so can def go at least that low if not lower.

Soldato
I went and had a look at this on Saturday morning. http://www.luckydalecars.co.uk/used-cars/bmw-z4-2-0-i-exclusive-roadster-2dr-morden-201703022838333

Absolutely fell in love with it tbh. Seems to be a fairly reasonable price for what it is, the bodywork and engine bay were immaculate. Roof had a bit of green growing on it as the dealers have kept it outside all winter...

Only real concern is the disks have a small lip on them, but going to test drive it this week and see how they feel. Anything stand out to anyone? Anything to look for when I'm driving it?

Soldato
I went and had a look at this on Saturday morning. http://www.luckydalecars.co.uk/used-cars/bmw-z4-2-0-i-exclusive-roadster-2dr-morden-201703022838333

Absolutely fell in love with it tbh. Seems to be a fairly reasonable price for what it is, the bodywork and engine bay were immaculate. Roof had a bit of green growing on it as the dealers have kept it outside all winter...

Only real concern is the disks have a small lip on them, but going to test drive it this week and see how they feel. Anything stand out to anyone? Anything to look for when I'm driving it?

seems a bit expensive for a 2.0 tbh! :)

I'd go for 3.0 as it's a better engine over-all and suits the car much better! afaik it's more reliable too.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

etc

Soldato

I did see that one and I agree on the bigger engine. Might give them a call and see.

Soldato
What you're looking for is "goodwill". Have you rung customer services yourself?

Have you ever had the disks replaced under your ownership or were these on when you got the car?

Yep, all they've done is repeat what the dealership told me. They've offered me a discount but it's still £1k+ Discs are the one's the came with the car when I got it (from BMW).

What is the car and mileage? 60k left on the pads seems optimistic unless its brand new!

F10 530D. iDrive says 60k for both front and rears. I very much doubt they'd last that long but the point is they don't need replacing for wear any time soon.

Soldato
In my experience, modern BMW steering is numb throughout the range (except perhaps the M cars, although I couldn't say for sure not having driven one).

Soldato
...carplay is an extra over and above pro nav. It's not worth getting though, it's just a fad if the car has proper nav.

Having now used Carplay in the Seat for the last 8 months I'd rather have it and how it integrates with the phone for nav and applications than the BMW integration as it works extremely well and is a much better experience.

Man of Honour
Really? I found Carplay to be utter crap

Maybe it's better if you have the wireless solution but having to plug my phone in, have a cable hanging around and then having an extremely crap maps solution (Apple Maps is fine when using it on the phone but it doesn't lend itself to being a sat nav at all well). The only good part was the music and podcasts integration. But even phoning was terrible, the fact you have to cancel Siri every time when all I wanted to do was search my contacts

Soldato
Really? I found Carplay to be utter crap

Maybe it's better if you have the wireless solution but having to plug my phone in, have a cable hanging around and then having an extremely crap maps solution (Apple Maps is fine when using it on the phone but it doesn't lend itself to being a sat nav at all well). The only good part was the music and podcasts integration. But even phoning was terrible, the fact you have to cancel Siri every time when all I wanted to do was search my contacts

Since the 10.2/10.3 updates of IOS its ran superbly well and consistently, the NAV works well with traffic etc being taken into account and the maps work and are displayed on the screen nicely. Phone is great as is messaging and the integration of things like Spotify and Apple Music are very well handled. I always had my phone plugged into the car anyway so I see no difference between the solutions, I just use a very short cable and leave it tucked in the little cubbyhole anyway.

Man of Honour
Discs do not warp, it's a myth. It is pad deposits being left unevenly across the surface of the disc itself which causes vibration when braking.

Soldato
The only BMW i've spent proper time in is an E87 120d and steering in that was a bit heavy in town but felt spot on :/ Was rather hoping the F31 would feel like that...

Three years of E46 ownership has spoiled me, modern car steering will never be as good, it's a fact I just kinda accept now.

Now I'm in an F20 (which comes with a lot of benefits itself in terms of advancements), but the steering isn't exactly awe inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom