BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just put new rears on the 330ci.

Do you normally get it aligned straight away?

Car seems fine btw.

New rears of what?

What causes pads to deposit unevenly across the disc?

Many things - disc not mounted to the hub completely flat, seized calipers, applying the brakes whilst at standstill whilst they are hot, poor quality pads/discs.

I've had juddering brakes before and there is nothing more annoying. Do you get the vibration mostly through the steering wheel or through the car? I would probably start off by replacing the front discs and pads to begin with as these are usually the culprit. Replacing all four will definitely cure the problem, in the same way that replacing your entire engine is sure to fix a small misfire, but it is wasteful to do it and there is no reason to not start with the fronts, then replace the rears - unless, of course, you are trying to extract as much money off a customer as possible.

Soldato
Unless your old tyres worn unevenly, there's no need to get an alignment done if you've just had the tyres changed. Alignment will only need to be done after removing some of the suspension components.

Soldato
The only BMW i've spent proper time in is an E87 120d and steering in that was a bit heavy in town but felt spot on :/ Was rather hoping the F31 would feel like that...

One of the last BMW's with hydraulic steering...much prefer the steering in my E82 over the F20.

Soldato
Yep, all they've done is repeat what the dealership told me. They've offered me a discount but it's still £1k+ Discs are the one's the came with the car when I got it (from BMW).

F10 530D. iDrive says 60k for both front and rears. I very much doubt they'd last that long but the point is they don't need replacing for wear any time soon.

How long have you had it and how many miles have you done?

Don
Picked this up this afternoon:

2017-03-24%2014.53.38.jpg

Man of Honour
Brilliant thanks.

I disagree with him.

Loads of things can knock alignment out and a tyre change is a good chance to get it checked. Virtually every tyre place will do a free check with a tyre purchase. You've nothing to lose, either it's fine and costs you nothing or it's not fine and needed doing.

Don
This ConnectedDrive business is a bit useless unless you've got an iPhone, isn't it? There's only a few android apps that you can use.

Don
Connected Drive is far more than just phone apps... It's very useful indeed.
If you don't mind, could you give me a little break down of the various benefits? I gave it no consideration prior to buying the car and have no idea where to start - the only thing I've been trying to do is connect Deezer and I just realised it only works with an iPhone. I've got Connected Services, BMW Online & USB Map Updates free for the next 3 years - is it worth paying a one off fee of £60 for Remote Services?

Don
Nope. It's a basic 520d SE - the only options, if you'd call them that, were auto and metallic paint. It's been bought purely for my new business so I wasn't going to pay more than I needed - I already paid more than I intended, having originally been looking at Passat's and Skoda Superb's

Soldato

Grudas, you are a very very good man. Went and put a deposit down on that today, picking it up after work next week :D

Back
Top Bottom