BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
How do you guys rate the 1 series. Looking at potentially getting rid on my old 2003 fiesta for something which is a bit more grown up. With a limited budget the 1 series seems to fit the bill.

From my searches a 120d (seems to comes in many flavours of Bhp) looks the most appealing. Cheap to run and tax.

Ideally something under 70-80k miles (unless higher mileage ones are still ok) seem to see a lot with 100k+ miles

I’ve hear they have issues with a timing chain, is that a common problem on them all? Do they tend to fail at a certain mileage? Anything else to watch out for?

The next thing is trim levels. The M sport looks the nicest so I like that trim the most but is it just appearance over anything?

I like both styles of 1 series. The big bum and the boot as such but is one better than the other?

Reliability and fixing costs. Is it gunna cost me an arm and a leg to keep going? Is repairs super expensive?

Sorry for all questions chaps. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction

Caporegime
How do you guys rate the 1 series. Looking at potentially getting rid on my old 2003 fiesta for something which is a bit more grown up. With a limited budget the 1 series seems to fit the bill.

From my searches a 120d (seems to comes in many flavours of Bhp) looks the most appealing. Cheap to run and tax.

Ideally something under 70-80k miles (unless higher mileage ones are still ok) seem to see a lot with 100k+ miles

I’ve hear they have issues with a timing chain, is that a common problem on them all? Do they tend to fail at a certain mileage? Anything else to watch out for?

The next thing is trim levels. The M sport looks the nicest so I like that trim the most but is it just appearance over anything?

I like both styles of 1 series. The big bum and the boot as such but is one better than the other?

Reliability and fixing costs. Is it gunna cost me an arm and a leg to keep going? Is repairs super expensive?

Sorry for all questions chaps. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction

Budget? How many miles do you do a year?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why are you looking for a diesel when you're doing about 9k miles a year on average?

And budget because it changes what model you could get in to. Could get yourself a 2009 125i with that budget.

Soldato
Why are you looking for a diesel when you're doing about 9k miles a year on average?

And budget because it changes what model you could get in to. Could get yourself a 2009 125i with that budget.

Cheaper to tax and does better mpg than the petrols.

80% motorway so diesel surely would be the better option?

I’m not opposed to petrol but assumed diesel would be cheaper overall.

@Fox

Highly detailed response there. Any reason in particular?

Caporegime
Cheaper to tax and does better mpg than the petrols.

80% motorway so diesel surely would be the better option?

I’m not opposed to petrol but assumed diesel would be cheaper overall.

You assumed wrong.

Take a 120d vs 120i.

£115 tax vs £190. About £6 a month.

About £300 per year difference in fuel costs assuming your mileage.

Now factor in that diesel cars of that era will have more complicated injection systems, filters etc. They also have the timing chain issue you've mentioned.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Don't get a 1 series at this price get a golf or something else
1 series (both current and old shape) is the most hateful piece of **** I have ever been in so full of doom and gloom and rock hard suspension and lack of space and claustrophobia and road noise and misery
Even Mk5 golf is like a tardis and the new rolls phantom combined in comparison

Soldato
Don't get a 1 series at this price get a golf or something else
1 series (both current and old shape) is the most hateful piece of **** I have ever been in so full of doom and gloom and rock hard suspension and lack of space and claustrophobia and road noise and misery
Even Mk5 golf is like a tardis and the new rolls phantom combined in comparison
At this budget, 100% agree. Golf will be much more bang for buck.

Soldato
I wouldn’t buy an older Gen 1 Series - they are just getting on a bit now.

In terms of Golf vs 1 Series : I’ve owned both (see my signature) and the 1 Series (F20) interior is far superior to the Golf’s (Mk7). The Golf infotainment touch interface is useless; it’s slow and doesn’t function properly when using a USB stick for music. Materials are drop down in quality e.g. the steering wheel leather is rock hard leather vs the soft Nappa leather wheel on the BMW, the metal door frame is on show inside in the VW where in the BMW it’s not’s, the indicator stalks on the BMW click and feel more solid and the general feel and touch of everything is a step down in the VW.

Soldato
Picked up my f10 m5 a few weeks ago, I had one before but never gelled with it. Anyhow one RS4 supercharged later and I decided to give it another go as they offer so much value for money

This time I went for a comp pack car
Ceramic brakes
Soft close / comfort access
Cooled seats
heated wheel
360 camera
side camera
extended leather
electric rear blind
side blinds
etc

Comp pack makes a huge difference, as i believe does ceramic brakes the rolling mass or whatever its called is greatly reduced with this setup and I think it makes a much nicer less crashy ride.

I have a BMW Carbon rear diffuser coming, I am actually about to ditch the DRC in favor of some coilovers and am on the lookout for some different wheels

I also have a supersprint center and rear section for it in the shed, should help the looks a little.

One thing you cant see is how damn big the brakes are, (410mm) they are just huge and they are awesome too, cold performance is nowhere like people say it stops a lot better than steels

I have it booked into Evolve after christmas and cant decide if to stage 2 remap it yet probably just see how i go for a few months first.

Black isn't a colour I would go out and choose and the pics dont do it any justice but its very nice in person, planning a few things to change the look

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

Soldato
I wouldn’t buy an older Gen 1 Series - they are just getting on a bit now.

In terms of Golf vs 1 Series : I’ve owned both (see my signature) and the 1 Series (F20) interior is far superior to the Golf’s (Mk7). The Golf infotainment touch interface is useless; it’s slow and doesn’t function properly when using a USB stick for music. Materials are drop down in quality e.g. the steering wheel leather is rock hard leather vs the soft Nappa leather wheel on the BMW, the metal door frame is on show inside in the VW where in the BMW it’s not’s, the indicator stalks on the BMW click and feel more solid and the general feel and touch of everything is a step down in the VW.
But he's not getting either an F20 or Mark 7 for 6.5k

Back
Top Bottom