BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
To be honest I probably would as well now I think about it... But you can't deny that slapping one in an E38 and then supercharging it isn't at least a little bit cool and/or different.

I can understand why someone would do it.

If done well to the right car I'd probably have an SWB E38 S62 & manual swap over my E39 M5. The cars are very similar in architecture anyway and the weight is remarkably close. However, if I were to do a swap it'd be the S62 & manual gearbox into an E31 8 Series. Still reckon if my M5 is ever involved in an accident (which would more than likely write it off) I'd buy it back and do a drivetrain swap.

Caporegime
Febi is by far the best BMW aftermarket parts supplier in terms of reliable quality, in my experience. I've had very dodgy Meyle parts but Febi has always exceeded expectations. That said, the Meyle HD brakes I bought were really good and I haven't tried Febi brakes.
Hmm, that doesn’t concur with what I’ve read about the brakes, but, in fairness you’ve not tried them and I have read they are good with some components but not so with others.
Still, my original point stands, scrimping on brakes with a performance car especially needs rethinking!

Caporegime
If done well to the right car I'd probably have an SWB E38 S62 & manual swap over my E39 M5. The cars are very similar in architecture anyway and the weight is remarkably close. However, if I were to do a swap it'd be the S62 & manual gearbox into an E31 8 Series. Still reckon if my M5 is ever involved in an accident (which would more than likely write it off) I'd buy it back and do a drivetrain swap.
As the forums resident e38 anorak I couldn’t disagree more, a manual just doesn’t suit such a car (nor would it suit an S Class or Roller) that said, I doubt the automatic box could cope reliably with an S62 never mind a Supercharged one!

Caporegime
The 5 series has always looked awful as an estate car.

No chance. The 5 series has always looked awful with a crap colour combo (like that black on black one), but it certainly hasn't always looked awful as an estate. E39 Sport Touring looks great for example. Not a fan of the E60 Touring. F11 Touring looks great in the right spec. But the G31 somehow doesn't look right as a Touring to me.

Associate
No chance. The 5 series has always looked awful with a crap colour combo (like that black on black one), but it certainly hasn't always looked awful as an estate. E39 Sport Touring looks great for example. Not a fan of the E60 Touring. F11 Touring looks great in the right spec. But the G31 somehow doesn't look right as a Touring to me.
Each to their own, but the 5 series really does live up to the rep of an estate being an old mans car!

Caporegime
Don't recall seeing an old man driving a 5 series estate for a while to be honest. See more of them in the outside lane of the motorway, too close to the car in front, being driven by an embittered toner distribution manager. /clarkson :p

Soldato
Don't recall seeing an old man driving a 5 series estate for a while to be honest. See more of them in the outside lane of the motorway, too close to the car in front, being driven by an embittered toner distribution manager. /clarkson :p
Hey those guys are all driving F10s!! :D

Most people I see driving F11s are people with families to be honest. So not old men but 30-50 somethings!

Man of Honour
The F10 is the best car... in the world.

In all seriousness, in M Sport trim I think it's one of the best proportioned and best looking cars around. The G30 in top spec is growing on me though, but something is off about the grille.

Soldato
There's a chance that as of September or March(2019) I may be out of the country for 6 months. Obviously car will sit there costing £450 a month. Has anyone been in a similar scenario and have any ideas? Perfect idea would be basically lend it to a friend/family member and have them pay something towards it for those 6 months but not sure if anyone would be interested/have a need for such a car

66 reg 340i, purchased outright with a completely separate personal loan

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Will you want it when you come back? Can you live with the depreciation? Is it irreplaceable?
Keep it.

If not, sell it and buy something else on your return.

Back
Top Bottom