BMW and M Power Owners

Don
Due to a re-location of the Mrs' job we need to play jiggery-pokery with cars.
At the moment we've got a 2008 CR-V 2.0 on 120k miles and my 2010 XJ 5.0 on 35k. The Mrs is going to be doing a 70 mile (each-way) commute round the M25 every day starting in June so we're going to have to get her a new car as the CR-V has started to become unreliable simply due to age.

Current plan is to sell my XJ as I don't really need it these days and buy her a 3-year-old CR-V or similar with a diesel engine. This leaves me needing a car for the weekends and occasional trips. I need 4 seats so I'm looking to get a 6-series cab, preferably a 650i. What I'm concerned about is the coolant transfer pipe. I've had the 4.8l N62 in a 750i in the past and never had any issues with it in about 80k miles. Some people seem to say that the issue doesn't affect the 4.8 and that is was only the 4.5 in the 645i but I'm seeing people with the issue on the X5 forums with the 4.8. How common is the issue or is it the usual internet thing of a small number of people being very vocal about the problem?
The sensible man would buy a 630i but I'm concerned that it's not quite powerful enough.

Soldato
I've had a 2008 650i for just over 2 years now (86k currently) and I've not had any real issues. It uses oil (1l per 4k) which is common for the car / brand.

The car is regularly checked over by my garage and they've not spotted anything to be concerned about yet.

Don
Not a chance. Where we live now is perfect and our son is due to start school in September.
My preference would be for her to change jobs but she seems to think the commute will be OK. She's never done any driving of that distance before and I keep telling her it's going to be tough.

Soldato
I tackle the M25 a couple of times a year on the way back from the Euro Tunnel and that's enough for me to endure.

As you say, you probably won't be able to convince her. Time will do just that, I'd imagine.

Don
Yeah, I reckon she'll do it for a couple of weeks and then throw in the towel. I wouldn't wish that commute on anyone.
Either way, we still need to get her a new car and I still need a replacement for the XJ.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I commute that distance and its quite frustrating. What can you do though if the job/money is right. I wouldnt move house for a job.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I would strongly recommend a car with adaptive cruise control and an automatic gearbox if she's doing that sort of commute. I have both on my Golf and it's awesome, even though my commute is 'only' 30-40 mins. Having ACC in the traffic jams is AMAZING. Those, along with a bit of poke, were my 2 main criteria, which is why I ended up with a Golf.

Caporegime
Not a chance. Where we live now is perfect and our son is due to start school in September.
My preference would be for her to change jobs but she seems to think the commute will be OK. She's never done any driving of that distance before and I keep telling her it's going to be tough.

On this one simply, you're right. She's wrong. It's going to be a question of at least 2 hours each way. That's half a working day before she's even done a working day. I reckon with a family life she really will struggle. Is train an option?

Soldato
She starts at 07:30 and leaves at 16:00. I still think it's going to be at least 1:30 each way.

I used to have a pretty much identical commute to that on the M25, I sometimes managed it in just over an hour each way if I was lucky, but your guess of 1:30 is pretty much spot on. I didn't actually mind it that much, but then I only did it for around 8 months and had a nice comfortable car to do it in.

Soldato
I live in NW London and used to commute to Leicester last year, thankfully it was only 3 days a weeks and I think it was 3-4 weeks before I had had enough and started booking into a hotel. Used to take me around 100 minutes on a good day, 5 hours on a bad :)

Don
I would strongly recommend a car with adaptive cruise control and an automatic gearbox if she's doing that sort of commute. I have both on my Golf and it's awesome, even though my commute is 'only' 30-40 mins. Having ACC in the traffic jams is AMAZING. Those, along with a bit of poke, were my 2 main criteria, which is why I ended up with a Golf.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on this. Auto + ACC for me is a must. However, she's a woman and flatly refuses to drive an automatic (she tried a couple of times and just keeps stamping on the brake with her left foot. I even tried making her fold her left leg under the seat but she still did it) and won't use the cruise control she has now....... Or the auto lights, or the auto wipers. It's cool though. I'm not going to argue with her. She drives her way. I drive mine.

Soldato
Yeah, I'm totally with you on this. Auto + ACC for me is a must. However, she's a woman and flatly refuses to drive an automatic (she tried a couple of times and just keeps stamping on the brake with her left foot. I even tried making her fold her left leg under the seat but she still did it) and won't use the cruise control she has now....... Or the auto lights, or the auto wipers. It's cool though. I'm not going to argue with her. She drives her way. I drive mine.

Imagines Rilot hanging on to bonnet, face wedged up against the glass, along with a load of washing lines, complete with washing and some hens. (at 80 mph on the outside lane of the motorway).

Soldato

Wait, she's doing that commute in a manual?!

RIP her left leg.

Bask in the "I told you so" moment :D

Soldato
What’s the best car you’ve had as a courtesy car?

I’ve been promised something ‘nice’ while my m135i is in for a spray job which was agreed on initial purchase..

Back
Top Bottom